Water cooling

Hank

Hi Wolter,

I Noticed in another part of the forum that you are running a corsair 100 watercooling cpu rig.
I have just installed the Corsair H80 and am a little worried about the temperatures I'm getting when I run FSX at 4ghz on my i9 cpu. It gets up to 65c. Is that normal? 

Just on idle the core temps seem to average around the 40c.

I thought that might be a little high in a room that has a ambient temp of about 20c.

Would like to hear your, or any one elses thoughts on this?

Cheers Hank.

I had to apply some more Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste after cleaning off the old stuff.

Still didn't improve the temps.

65°C under load is fine, but seems a bit high for 4GHz, and that idle temp is definitely up at the top end for a self-contained water cooler.  I get idle temps of around 25-26°C and load temps of 55-60°C under heavy Prime95 load at 4.8GHz, but I have a full watercooling loop, not a little self contained unit.  I personally recommend using the thermal interface kits from Indigo Extreme rather than thermal goop, but you have to be pretty adventurous to apply it  :)  You can check out the process on my build log linked to below.

Are you getting enough cool air through the radiator on your H80?  I've found on some people's builds that they've been drawing heated air from inside their case through the rad as a result of not having enough other ventilation...

Cheers,

Derek

im running a h110 water cooler on my sandy bridge and i managed to get it too 5 gig overclock and temps are arround 65 degrees with prime 95 full load,so it depends on the size of your case and motherboard,and cpu,fans ect.

Hank, are you going to leave it at 4? Im surprised you went water cool because a fan should handle it.

Im OC 4.2 and live in Bangkok where its stinking hot and get temps maxing out at 70deg but mostly 65-67 under load

Hi Hank,

the other guys are on the money, check if your fan turns higher revs as temps increase also with tools like EVGA precision or similar you can set the fan curve for better cooling performance, make sure that there are no objects, cables blocking the fans to limit airflow

Thanks for the replies. I have just replaced a NOCTUA NH-U12P-SE2 with the Corsair H60 (sorry my mistake, it came in a H80 box). The other gaff was that I'm running the i7 980X not a i9.

I think the NOCTUA kept the CPU cooler, so maybe I did the wrong thing?  I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 case with two large fans, the front one sucking air in and the top one extracting. I have two smaller fans blowing air on to the CPU area as well as the fan on the radiator for the H60. Then I have the Dominator fan kit on my 6 Gb RAM. You think that would keep things a lot cooler. I set the CPU fan at 75% to see if it would bring the temperature down from 65c, but it didn't do too much at all. My core 1 and 2 seem to be doing most of the work in FSX and they run the hottest. Considering it is now winter in Tasmania (though the house is air conditioned to a room temp of approx 19c)  you would think that I'd be running a lot cooler. As for my OC to 4Ghz; that is all the Mother Board seems to allow. The computer just won't boot above it. I've tried.

The FSX seems to be running reasonably well; I go for a few flights of about two hours duration; but I was just worried that I might damage something when I get these higher (but quite stable) temperatures? 

Thanks again for your replies

Hank

Im not quite sure here but i think you coult mount a secund fan (same model) on the other side of the radiator (push/pull), even at a H-60, and then let both

run 100% as a start..? im not fammiliair with your motherboard either, but most MB give you possibillity to mount to CPU-fans.

Also make sure you use a proper cpu-cooler paste, if its not delivered with the cooler.

I know thats maybe common knowledge, but...

Hope the best for you.

Henrik

PS: I get the i9 part ::)

Hi Hank,

the other guys are on the money, check if your fan turns higher revs as temps increase also with tools like EVGA precision or similar you can set the fan curve for better cooling performance, make sure that there are no objects, cables blocking the fans to limit airflow

Thanks for this! I just downloaded EVGA and clicked on auto fan curve and fan speed jumped from 35% to 55% and temps went down before my eyes 

should be able to squeeze a bit more OC out of it now

Hi Henrik,

Well it looks like your suggestion has worked. I added another fan to the radiator (push pull) and re-applied the

Arctic Silver 5 according to their instructions; ( a line across the cores instead of one single blob) and now

I'm idleing at about 30c , and under full FTX load 54c.

Things are looking good.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments to the other members

Cheers

hank

Hi Henrik,

Well it looks like your suggestion has worked. I added another fan to the radiator (push pull) and re-applied the

Arctic Silver 5 according to their instructions; ( a line across the cores instead of one single blob) and now

I'm idleing at about 30c , and under full FTX load 54c.

Things are looking good.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments to the other members

Cheers

hank

Hi Hank

For even better cooling method disabling HT should do the trick too  :)    

Danny

Hi Hank

For even better cooling method disabling HT should do the trick too  :)    

Danny

I wouldn't recommend him doing this. I too have a 980X and read all the suggestions in the past of disabling HT to improve performance and it did quite the opposite with Windows 7 (64 bit) Ultimate. I had stumbling and stuttering galore within the simulation. There are processes that are running outside of P3D/FSX that HT has great benefits for. 

Cheers,

Thad

I am a bit confused here,

the pus/pull configuration should be set air from the case outwards or pull air from the back of the case , pushing it inside the case?

BTW - I got the H80i

Hey Akila.

Your H-80i already come with 2 fans, so you already have a Push/Pull konfiguration (one fan on eatch side of the Radiator).

The H-60 and H-100 comes with only fan/fans for one side of the radiator, but if you buy another fan/fans you get the push/pull konfig.

Its up to you how to mount, your radiator, it can blow in or out in PC-case (or maybe, you coult mount the radiator outside the case).

Personly i have the H-100 mounted with 4 fans push/pull, inside on the top, of case, drawing air out from the case, but i also got 5 other fans drawing Air from the outside and into the case. So the radiator wont be missing (cool) air.

Its also about how your PC-case is constructet, and you must use the: try an error, or logic metode here. ::)

Best regards

Henrik

Archived