FTX airfield birdsong?

I've been flicking through some YouTube footage regarding certain FSX add-on aircraft. Obviously, many "footage uploaders" are staging their featured flights from FTX Airfields, because they want their movies to look impressive, and why not?

One thing that struck me is the number of flights that start "cold n dark" featuring twittering birdsong as an ambient background sound. It actually sounds pretty good when the guy is sat in his cockpit, canopy open and going through his pre-flight routine. I recall reading historical accounts of returning aircrew remarking on that "sound" when the engines were switched off and normality resumed.

Is this a feature of certain FTX pay ware airfields, an addon "package" from a third party vendor or just YouTube flight demo vogue for certain users with access to a birdsong CD and dubbing abilities? ^-^

I've not heard it at either of my (2) FTX England airfields, but maybe I fire the P:51 too early to appreciate it.

I'm glad someone else appreciates it! :D Here in England it would have to be the sound of a solitary skylark. As said in my earlier post, it is a sound remarked upon by many a returning bomber crew when the engines had stopped turning and the hatches flung open. I suppose it symbolised "peace", in stark contrast to the turbulent world they'd just left behind.

Seagulls for the coastal airfields would crank up the immersive factor, and how about an Owl for those night flight scenarios? Or am I just being silly now? >:D

I'm not certain if YouTube links are permissible, but by way of example:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9DLbUg8048

Is this a feature of certain FTX pay ware airfields, an addon "package" from a third party vendor or just YouTube flight demo vogue for certain users with access to a birdsong CD and dubbing abilities? ^-^

Many of the FTX payware airports have environmental sounds.

Some have multiple sounds that can be individually selected in the airport's control panel in FTX Central.

Darrington Muni (1S2) for instance has: birds in the trees around the airport, car park and conversation, dog parking, water lapping at river edge, aircraft flying overhead, truck starting, airport workshop machinery, Darrington saw mill noise.

Others, like Fall City (1WA6), have environmental sounds that are either all on or all off.

The environmental sound levels stay at the same volume though.  If you are located within the sound radius you will hear the sound (birds for instance) at the same volume regardless of if you engine is on or not.  Your engine will not drown them out.

Adding sounds is quite possible.  RTMM scenery addons for PFJ/SAK TongassX are good examples.  Birds, wolves, bear, elk, owls even the occasional heavy equipment working, oh and party songs at the bar too.

Ah, I guess that's what I was hearing in the videos then? Thanks for clarifying that. "Barking dogs" reminds me of that opening scene in Catch-22, just before the B:25 engine crescendo overwhelmed every other sound. I hadn't thought about it much before, but those environmental sounds can add a lot to an otherwise silent field eh?

Maybe I'll have to look into adding some of my own, or invest in those regions mentioned by h3pilot!

Also for a great sound experience get dillingham made by Mr. Bill Womack who develops for orbx  S45 kcmw twin oaks .. not to metion his work with Holger in Tongass fords

It has great seagull sounds and breaking surf ... I usually end up just sitting in ga parking small and listening for 5 minutes   Just washes away the workday. ! ha ha

I've found birdsong at most Orbx PNW fields as well as quacking in some odd areas but S73 has a host of farm animals as well so check list time is pretty entertaining. Ear candy indeed. Good on ya Bill.

good flights, Cal

Archived