To Hoonah

RobdeVries

Darn I had a great but hairy flight from Klawock to Hoonah. Leaving PAKW around 0530 this morning I encountered some have clouds and snow. Moreover some moderate to severe icing. ATC told me to maintain 10000ft. Could not hold it and my only out was to decent to below the ceiling at 4500ft. Still some light to moderate icing at that altitude while the icing boots of the Milviz B55 were working at full speed. And with Sim Physics X this is really a hair raising experience. Oh man I was glad that Anchorage Centre instructed me to decent to 2000 for a visual at 05. Once I broke out of the clouds the spectacle was awesome and quite accurate to real life if you ask me!Posted Image Posted Image And

if you plan to fly inadvertently into (known) icing.

Wow....sounds like you got a little more than you bargained for with this flight. Nice work on getting it down in one piece!

+1 - I like the RL web cam with the shot , great idea .

Brad

Thanks Rob . I am a bit confused about Sim Physics X . I understand it emulates icing conditions and seemingly does it quite well . As far as other effects go does it interfere with A2A Accufeel ?

Besides icing (which is great ) what other advantages does it have over Accufeel ?

Cheers

Thanks guys! I used the weather cam page for Alaska (http://akweathercams.faa.gov/) for real time photo's/footage of the condition of the airport when there's no ATIS (in real life).

About Sym Physics X, it also emulates brake efficiency depending on the condition of the runway. I experienced it quite well when I landed once on a snowy runway at Stewart, the plane just wouldn't stop. Brake disk heat is also simulated making brake efficiency worse as well.

All other stuff it emulates like sounds (tire, brake, wind etc) can be switched of. In fact every single system can be switched of when you use e.g. other software like Accu Feel.

However I'd like to see brakes getting on fire or blowing the tires. I remember that the Virtavia T-34C Turbo Mentor had these features.

The icing in IMHO rather well simulated within the confines of FSX. There are real time charts where you can see the ice build up in a graph and I never realized that in e.g. severe icing there's an enormous amount of ice build up in several minutes making your aircraft stall or even tail stall. You can specify which components of the aircraft are affected by icing.

See the

above about icing. BTW I'm using OPUS for weather.

See below for current weather at Hoonah (april 11th 21:41 UTC). Elephant mountain in the back ground. Unpack the snow textures for SAK again ;)

Posted Image

Thanks for responding Rob . I too agree ..brake fires and burst tires would be the icing on the cake .

I should get this, but I might sit and wait for a while to see if there is any further developements with this or Accusim

Cheers

Archived