Doing the Machynlleth Loop

Daddy Bear

Croeso Cymru! Welcome to Wales! A set from an area I know very well indeed as is where my family comes from and we are there five or six time of the year if we are not in Cornwall or Suffolk.

Machynlleth, Dolgellau, Dinas Mawddwy, Abergonolwyn, Castel y Bere, Nant Gwernol, Cemaes Road, Corris, Ceinws, Esgairgeiliog, Abermawr, Aberdyfi............... Chrome queries the spelling of every name and kudos to those who can pronounce them. We got 'the look' if we ever got it wrong but it is still home to us.

The pass at Tal-y-llyn

Posted Image

History? Legend? How do you like it? Owain Glyndwr was the last Welsh born Prince of Wales he held parliaments in two towns within throwing distance of this spot. Machynlleth to the south and Dolgellau to the West, just off the Harriers nose. The mountain on the left of the shot is Cadair Idris. The last time anybody saw him was on this mountain. Also note from Arthurian legend, King Arthur's final battle, the Battle of Camlann is given as being in one of several possible sites ranging from Scotland to Cornwall, the Shropshire border and here.

Posted Image

Now powering around the bend over Abergonolwyn and Afon Cader into a dead end valley where nestles the Welsh build fortification of Castel y Bere.

Posted Image

Then home for tea and biscuits.

Posted Image

What I like about ORBX scenery is that although you might not be able to find your house you will be able to find your town and everything looks near enough how you know it so long as you don't look too hard or too close. It is a bit like Peter Jackson and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He might not have got it down word for word but it feels just about right.

Well done folks.

Cheers.

Phil F

What I like about ORBX scenery is that although you might not be able to find your house you will be able to find your town and everything looks near enough how you know it so long as you don't look too hard or too close. It is a bit like Peter Jackson and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He might not have got it down word for word but it feels just about right.

I completely agree and think that's a great sum up of ORBX, you have a great set of shots here Phil, I to have family in Wales so go there yearly. Although I think they have been alerted to a low flying plane recently disrupting them ;) keep them coming mate!

Regards

Josh

Daddy Bear,

Great set mate and enjoyed the History lesson as well. Wales is my 3rd home (I think), spent 12 months there in Newport but did a LOT of travelling around the country side - damn there is a LOT of pubs in that place, err I mean places for tea and biscuits :)

Archived