Strobes and nav lights now blue - Did ORBX libraries change them?

freddy

I have recently noticed that the strobes and the nav lights on my aircraft (both flyable and AI, default aircraft included) are now a nice shade of LIGHT BLUE.

I was wondering whether the latest ORBX libraries may have included this change?

The change caused a minor issue with some of my aircraft which were using a white light effect (fx_navwhi) on each wingtip mixed in conjunction with the red and green (fx_navred and fx_navgre) to "enhance" (brighten) the nav lights on the wing. The new LIGHT BLUE shade "washed out" the red on the port (left) wing making the light appear to be, well, white. It was hard to work out if the plane was coming toward you or going away from you as the aircraft looked to have green/white lights on BOTH the port AND the starboard wingtips.

No problem though, I simply edited the [LIGHTS] section of the appropriate aircraft.cfg files and corrected the issue ...

But I remain curious. What caused my strobes and nav lights to change from nice white to light blue? I have made no recent changes to my HALO.BMP file. I checked it and it remains unchanged. And I haven't recently purchased any add-ons or installed any new flight sim software. And I don't have Shockwave Lights Redux or similar. Just native default FSX. So, I am at a loss to work out why my strobes and nav lights suddenly, and without warning or notice, changed from white to this light blue shade. The only thing I recently installed was the latest ORBX libraries (FTXORBXLIBS_130125).

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the light blue colour better. It looks great. And everything looks fine after editing the respective aircraft.cfg files to make corrections to bring back RED nav lights on the affected aircraft.

But I'd love to satisfy my curiosity. What caused the change in the first place? Was it maybe the latest ORBX libraries?

Thanks for the response Ed. No, I don't have any such add ons ... no REX, no Shockwave, nothing. I'm running only vanilla FSX with Traffic X (AI) and ORBX. And ORBX was the only one out of those to have had a recent update or change (the library files).

So your effects don't touch the aircraft light files. Given that your effects files are all appropriately named, and many with "ORBX" in their filenames, I did expect that your files had nothing to do with that area of the sim. And your post provides that confirmation.

Hmmm, so it remains a mystery for me as to what has changed in my FSX to cause this lovely light blue effect. As I said, there's been no harm done ... it's a cool effect and looks great ... I'd just like to find out, if I can, where it came from. For curiosity's sake.

Thanks again.

Hi Freddy,

There is a small tweak in FTX Central. Open FTX and along the top you will see Tools and in there is FTX Light Tweaker.That might have something to do with it. Just a thought ???

Posted Image

Yes, I did think of the 3D Lights Tweaker ... I use it after installing the latest libraries to turn the night street lights back on for my system.

Given what it's for and what it does, I had dismissed it as a possible cause of the new light blue strobe/nav lights that I'm seeing.

That said, I didn't even bother to test. Though I suppose it won't take much to run such a test. Hmmm.

If it does turn out to be this, then I'll post back here.

Shade and FXAA (Post Process Injector) can change the colour of aircraft lights in FSX. Perhaps even ENB can.

So in case you have any of these apps installed, I recommend to play with their settings.

Cheers, Wolfgang

No, I don't have Shade, FXAA, or ENB. And I don't run things like Nvidia Inspector etc etc. She's just plain vanilla FSX with Traffic X (AI) and ORBX.

If there's any more suggestions that anyone can think of, then keep 'em coming.

Hi Freddy,

it has just come to my attention that the Orbxlibs has made a change to the texture file. An oversight from us and we will be fixing it ASAP.

So, apologies from me and we'll have this sorted soon.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Freddy,

it has just come to my attention that the Orbxlibs has made a change to the texture file. An oversight from us and we will be fixing it ASAP.

So, apologies from me and we'll have this sorted soon.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Ed,

has the Orbxlibs only changed lightfx or also cloud textures. In particular it seems that the appearance of my REX-clouds has changed somehow after installing the latest libs.

Cheers, Wolfgang

Well ... that *IS* interesting.

And that screenshot of the F111 showing blue flares and bomb blasts does appear to be the same shade of blue that I am experiencing with my strobes and nav lights (although the effect on the F111 appears to be much more "obvious" and "brighter" than what I am seeing with my strobes and nav lights).

Looks like my mystery might have been solved. No need to apologise Ed. As a customer support person for a software company, possibly a role similar to yours, I understand.

We await the fix in due course. Hmmm ... after the fix, I wonder if I will "miss" this effect ... it kind of looks cool (no pun intended) on my system.

Archived