Guest Private-Cowboy

;D I know...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Very nice indeed and butter smooth framerate despite much better modelling (8.5MB for the C152 vs. 3.5MB of the M20J) and higher res textures. It's a very comfy ride but beware of winds - the C152 is light and it can get bumpy quite easily.

One note on a bug though. I get 'aicraft overstressed' damage every single time I load one of the 152s. I disabled stress damage for the moment and that works but that can't be the solution can it. I emailed Carenado about it, hope they can do something about it.

Otherwise I can only highly recommend the 152 for FTX low and slow flyers - just what the doctor ordered. And in Contrast to the Bushhawk the fps is waaaaay up there with the FSX default planes despite the complex model and high res textures. That 'Carenado-Look' ist just too great.

Guest Private-Cowboy

Well that's prolly the FSX-AA. I don't enable AA via the driver setting or special apps. I do so in FSX. Why? Because I lack the power to fly with active AA and only enable it for Screenshots and that can only be done in the FSX settings. Or can such a thing be done using the driver menu while in flight???

Here are a few more...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All that is needed now is some aussie paint job for the 152.

I just downloaded this plane also, been waiting for this, and was not disappointed.  Great on FPS, good as the 182rq, and as good if not better than the default 172.  Interior is amazing, and has neat features.  Passenger seat can move forward, and seat back moves, visors work, and even the little antennae is animated and moves with the wind, very cool stuff. 

PS:  just noticed that even the ash trays work, can be opened and closed.

Guest Private-Cowboy

I just downloaded this plane also, been waiting for this, and was not disappointed.  Great on FPS, good as the 182rq, and as good if not better than the default 172.  Interior is amazing, and has neat features.  Passenger seat can move forward, and seat back moves, visors work, and even the little antennae is animated and moves with the wind, very cool stuff. 

PS:  just noticed that even the ash trays work, can be opened and closed.

Do you also get 'aircraft overstressed' whenever you load one of the 152? I was forced to disable stress damage. Is it just me (for whatever reason) or do you suffer that too?

The gimmicks are nice indeed. I just noticed you can open the astray myself.  ;D

I'm surprised the most by the texture detail and modelling and the fact it still maintains a rock solid framerate (quite the opposite to the fps monster Bushhawk). And the sound is really wonderful out of the box already. Can't say anything about the flight model as I've never flown in a 152 myself. The only Cessna I've flown on was a Grand Caravan.

[snip!]

One note on a bug though. I get 'aicraft overstressed' damage every single time I load one of the 152s. I disabled stress damage for the moment and that works but that can't be the solution can it. I emailed Carenado about it, hope they can do something about it.

[snip!]

Me too. :(  I'll send them an e-mail as well so they know it happends to more than one person. :)

Guest Private-Cowboy

Glad to hear that - not that you suffer that too but that it's not my setup causing that in a weird way. This and the switch screwup ('dome light' and 'pitot heat' mislabled - should be correctable in the texture) are only minor drawbacks though. I don't think that you can fly the 152 that acrobatic that stress damage would actually be a problem so disableing it might not be such a huge problem for the moment. It should be corrected though.

A realy beauty otherwise. Can't wait till some capable painter draws up something like this...

Posted Image

By the way, does a 152 have an AV master switch?

[snip!]

[snip!]

Me too. :(  I'll send them an e-mail as well so they know it happends to more than one person. :)

I'm getting it too. I'll also send them an email!

EDIT: Ignore the below folks - although the handling felt nicer and looser, it messed up the engine power parameters and the take-off roll was longer than a 747s !! ...... I instead returned to the Carenado .air file, and tweaked (decreased) the roll stability in the aircraft.cfg ..... this loosened up the 152 and she's sweet to fly now!

Bought this beauty tonight - as you can see, it's a stunner. The VC is in a different league to Carenado's older (already great) products.

One thing I would say though; The flight dynamics / flight 'feel' left me feeling a little flat.  I know what a 152 flies like and of course, I am not saying I was expecting excitement (!) but dare I say, as good as Carenado are at modelling, I have found the flight dynamics to be a bit dubious on a couple of their aircrafts (inc. the Mooney). Conversely, the 182Q flies beautifully.

Anyway, my point in posting this is not to bash Carenado, or this gorgous new 152, it was to say that I tried using the .air file from the Just Flight Flying Club 152 (that has recently been made freeware), with this new Carenado model and I have to say, I personally felt the aircraft feels much, much nicer to fly.

At the end of the day, if you're happy with the Carenado C152 flight dynamics (the .air file from which has the dubiously generic name "singleenginepiston.air" !!), stick with it ...... but if you want to try something which - in my opinion - feels more appropriately light and responsive, give the JF 152 air file a try!

:)

Hi Dave

I know what you mean about the FM.  But it does sideslip much better than the JF152.  I'll try that air file...NO I WON'T^ What's the value to change to, Dave? I'm trying 0.8

The JF152 has better visibility, too. Carenado really like burying you in the VC.

Did you ever try the Fravin 150 for FS9?  Now that was something!  Shaking VC among other things.

I hope the race is on for the first - and best - grotty, decrepit old Aussie re-paints!

I lack the power to fly with active AA and only enable it for Screenshots and that can only be done in the FSX settings. Or can such a thing be done using the driver menu while in flight???

Hey PC, you can actually go to windowed mode, or minimize FSX, change AA in the driver via the CP, and then go back to full screen and it will apply the new AA setting.  I change my AA via nHancer quite often while in flight, and the same can be done via the driver.  As long as you go back to full screen it will apply the change.

Hi Steve,

You can put me down for a repaint please VH-FIB.

Just purchased it and took it for a spin. Brought back memories as this was the plane I started learing to fly in at Camden. A very easy aircraft to fly compared to the Tomahawk and Jabiru.

You can expect me to be using it in future VFR events.

Regards, Paul

Hi Steve,

You can put me down for a repaint please VH-FIB.

Just purchased it and took it for a spin. Brought back memories as this was the plane I started learing to fly in at Camden. A very easy aircraft to fly compared to the Tomahawk and Jabiru.

You can expect me to be using it in future VFR events.

Regards, Paul

Sure thing Paul. I love those little planes and logged quite some time in them. The paintshop is pretty much closed for the next month while I finish off the next stage of my real life flying. After that I've promised 4 repaints of other aircraft to others too before I start on the 152, but I can't wait to get to it.. This is the aircraft I've been really wanting to do..

This 152 is really growing on me.  With Roll Stability reduced to 0.8 and some Turbulence in the weather, it's great!  I just landed and took-off from Airey's Inlet - no probs, so it's terrific for STOL even though it's a gutless little blighter.

The VC is astonishing in its crispness and bright, airy feel (even though you sit very low by default)

Off to Airliners.net to see if there's any particularly ugly ones flying in OZ.

Posted Image

Guest Private-Cowboy

The stress damage issue has been fixed. Carenado sent me a new cfg in the morning that fixed it completely. As it seems the flap tollerance was not set right. Now stress damage works as it should - when you go into a steep dive for example and not when standing on the ground.

One issue done, only one to go: I only need to find that texture that mislabled the buttons now. I corrected it already for the 2d panel but can't find the right VC texture.

About the airfields, the first set is on YLIL and the second in Bill Womacks Dillingham.

The stress damage issue has been fixed. Carenado sent me a new cfg in the morning that fixed it completely. As it seems the flap tollerance was not set right. Now stress damage works as it should - when you go into a steep dive for example and not when standing on the ground.

One issue done, only one to go: I only need to find that texture that mislabled the buttons now. I corrected it already for the 2d panel but can't find the right VC texture.

About the airfields, the first set is on YLIL and the second in Bill Womacks Dillingham.

Thanks for the update.  Since Facebook I don't check e-mail that often lol.  Checked my inbox and have a new CFG waiting from Carenado. :)

Guest Private-Cowboy

That's one reason I'm always coming back to Carenado. Asked about issue and got a fix no more than 3.5 hours later. Wow. So much better than those plane devs/publishers who have to check the dictionary to look what 'support' actually means.  ;D

I need to tweak the seating position though, it feels as if you're some kind if midget sitting in the chair. Too far forward and too low for my liking. But this should be easily correctable.

Did you notive how well the sound is by way. In the 206 I always had some sound issues but here it's just perfect.

but if you want to try something which - in my opinion - feels more appropriately light and responsive, give the JF 152 air file a try!

I've tried this freeware release, but was very unsatisfied with the roll rate. No way a real 152 rolls that fast  :o Besides that, I think the sound is aweful. In my book Carenado made the better 152 :)

Hi Dave

I know what you mean about the FM.  But it does sideslip much better than the JF152.  I'll try that air file...NO I WON'T^ What's the value to change to, Dave? I'm trying 0.8

The JF152 has better visibility, too. Carenado really like burying you in the VC.

Did you ever try the Fravin 150 for FS9?  Now that was something!  Shaking VC among other things.

I hope the race is on for the first - and best - grotty, decrepit old Aussie re-paints!

Hey Mark,

Like you, I reduced Roll Stability to 0.8 and it really lightens the 152! ...... It makes it a lot more exposed to some light turbulance as you also pointed out.  ;D   

I also increased the Aileron Effectiveness (can't remember to what value as I'm away from sim at the mo).

It was interesting to note that the [Flight Tuning] values were already amended from the usual 1.0 values, so clearly Carenado have been doing some last minute tweaking to the file.

I've raised my seat height too in the .cfg - Carenado must be short a**es - the Mooney seat was the worst!!

Still, a lovely 152, really enjoying it.  ;D

I'm thinking about doing an East Coast tour in it, perhaps from somewhere near Sydney, up past Port MacQuarrie and who knows maybe all the way up to Cairns!

but if you want to try something which - in my opinion - feels more appropriately light and responsive, give the JF 152 air file a try!

I've tried this freeware release, but was very unsatisfied with the roll rate. No way a real 152 rolls that fast  :o Besides that, I think the sound is aweful. In my book Carenado made the better 152 :)

Hey Bert,

Absolutely! ...... you'll have no argument hear that the Carenado is far, far, better in pretty much everyway, than the JF152. 

With the above changes to the [Flight Tuning], and raising the seat in the [Views] of the aircraft.cfg, this C152 is probably my fave Carenado aircraft now .... just slightly pipping the 182Q which I also love.

:)

Guest Private-Cowboy

Could you share your new seat config. I haven't worked on it yet and it would spare me (and others) the trial and error. Besides I really really like the C152 - even more than the pimped Mooney with its HDVC. The Mooney looks and flies great but the high wing C152 is just perfect for FTX. A few VH- paints would reall crown it...

Could you share your new seat config. I haven't worked on it yet and it would spare me (and others) the trial and error. Besides I really really like the C152 - even more than the pimped Mooney with its HDVC. The Mooney looks and flies great but the high wing C152 is just perfect for FTX. A few VH- paints would reall crown it...

Hey there,

Here we go - for those not sure how this is done, here are some full instructions to raise the seat (in the VC), on the wonderful new Carenado Cessna 152.

This is a great seat height for me - but you can adjust to taste.  This position is based on using a Zoom level of 0.50 in the VC :

- Go to the following location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\Sim Objects\Airplanes\Carenado C152.

- Now, open the Aircraft.cfg (it should open up in MS Notepad).

- Scroll down to the section entitled [Views].

- Change the 1 (shown in Orange below), to 1.3

[Views]

eyepoint=-2.45,-0.75,1       //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

So, it should now look like this:-

[Views]

eyepoint=-2.45,-0.75,1.3       //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

- Select FILE and SAVE, exit notepad, launch FSX and you're off!

Hope this helps, I know most people here know how to make these tweaks but there are always one or two people out there that don't, and that are shy to ask for help.  ;D

Archived