Sudden drop in fps

Nightowl

I would like to ask your help for the following problem:

During flight, my fps are dropping suddenly to 1 or evem less. When starting a flight, the fps are far over 40. During flights, the fps are dropping suddenly. The area where the flight is being executed doesn't matter. I is happening all over the world. I tried flights in the Netherlands, with NL2000 active, I tried in FTX England, I tried in FTX NA scenery and in all areas this is happening.

The same for all kind of aircraft.

This problem occured from one day on the other. Nothing installed during the night nor uninstalled.

My specs:

Intel i7 975 @3.33

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo

1x Corsair PC1333 12GB kit

NVidia GTX560Ti with 1024mb DDR5

I have rebuild my FSX.cfg and used it with and with Bojote tweaks and without. I used the cfg clean (as generated by FSX just adjusted the resolution).

Windows 7 64bit is the operating system, FSX +Acceleration is the installed sim.

Any suggestions?

Here is my Nvidia Inspector settings as a jpg:

Posted Image

Tino, go to HitmanPro and download this program. It's free to use for 30 day's. I think you have got a malware item who's working on the background. If you open Taskmanager when you are flying in FSX in Windowed mode look at the activity of the CPU and Memory. If you see many fluctuations then it's possible that you have Malware.

I have a licenced version of HitmanPro on my computer and it's working perfect. I had a year ago the same problem that you have now an this program is one of the best tools there is at this moment.

Peter

Tino,

Hit CTRL+A;t+Del and select "Start Task Manager"

select the tab Processes and see how many processes are running, to give you an idea I have about 60 of 'm running

make sure that all so called automated updaters are shut off

a lil proggy called CCleaner (freeware version) can tell you exactly what's being started up and you can select to shut the not needed stuff down

it also has the advantage of cleaning out the registry with obsolete reg keys

Something else you can check is disk I/O in Resource Monitor, which you can open from the Performance tab of Task Manager. A process can use very little CPU and still bring your system to its knees with constant disc access.

For Peter:

The CPU usage is fluctuating between 22% and 99% (yes ninetynine). Memory use about 3.62Gb keeping a flat line, so no or just a little fluctuating.

Just two programs are running, FSX and FRAPS.

Something is triggering the CPU, but I can't find out what :S

For Peter:

The CPU usage is fluctuating between 22% and 99% (yes ninetynine). Memory use about 3.62Gb keeping a flat line, so no or just a little fluctuating.

Just two programs are running, FSX and FRAPS.

Something is triggering the CPU, but I can't find out what :S

And when there are no programs running? What do you see then for CPU usage.

Peter

One question, does it always happen in the same area. For instance, if I start a flight at Gold Coast airport and fly North, along the beach, after a few 100 meters there are two rivers not far apart. about 100 meters past teh first one my fps takes a dive by the time I reach the second river which is not far, everything is normal, this is a constant, i can redo that flight everyday, and in the exact same spot i have that issue. I assum it is a texture issue but havnt resolved it yet.

The FPS dive I experience, is permanent. When it has started dropping, it won't stop before it has reached a number of 0.5 or 0.6.

There is no other way for recovering other then restart FSX. All is starting all over again. In a very rare occasion I can complete a flight without being cut off by the very poor fps. So it is not a location/texture related problem I assume.

Hi - I had a problem with a bad (not malicious) program using too much memory which caused my computer to drastically slow. down. While my problem wasn't exactly like yours, you may want to try the following which is similar to how I determined which program was causing the problem etc.

1. start computer and don't run any program after you start it - we want a "clean" situation to use as a base reading.

2. Open Task Manager (CTRL+A;t+Del and click on Start Task Manager)

3. On the "Processes" page click on the heading "Memory" - this will arrange all the processes in order by the amount of memory. You may have to click on it again but what you want to see is the processes in order by highest memory at the top of the list. Now record the name of the process and the amount of memory and the amount of processes running etc - for reference.

4. Now start FSX and set it up so you can see both the FSX display and the Task Manager display at the same time. Once FSX has settled down to it's start page, record the name of the process with the highest memory and it's amount as well as the number of processes running etc.-

5. Now do whatever you'd normally do in fsx but keep an eye on Task Manager to see if there are major changes with some process using an excessive amount of memory as you continue flying with FSX. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) has changed by the time you have lost fps to a very low level.

In my case I found that a corrupted program (not malware) was hogging lots of memory maybe 5 times greater than the one below it. I was able to determine the program name so I uninstalled it then reinstalled and that corrected the problem.

Hope this helps - please let us know what happens...

Good luck - Howard

Had this issue myself for a week ,fix for me was updating the all drivers for my asus motherboard which i hadent done and forgot about since last reinstall of windows , stutters and frames dropping have gone completely and CPU is now working the right way ,also dusted out the PC with hog hair paint brush which has helped also

It might be a problem with the combination of components and GPU in your computer. I had the exact same problem, that is, running fine and all of a sudden less than 1 fps. I am running 3 computers connected with Wideview, an i7-980x with 3 5870's crossfire on a Rampage III board, an i7 3770k with a 7950 on a Gigabyte board and an i7 920 with a 6950 on an Intel board. This is the way the system is now. When I was having the problem it only happened on the 920. The GPU's were reversed in the 920 and 3770 from the way they are now, so I tried swapping them and haven't had the problem since.

I too use Bojote's program and swear by it. It increases my fps at least 30% to 40% on all three computers. I get 20 to 25 fps at 2500' over downtown Seattle in a PMDG 737 NGX running ORBX Pacific Northwest with all settings maxxed out in FSX except water which is set on 2nd highest. I bought all that hardware mentioned above and got 1 or 2 fps here and maybe another fps there when I added new pieces, but never got the increases like I did the first time I used Bojote's.

Another thing I had done was installed frame limiter program at the recomendation of Bojote's program which I later found out shouldn't be done with an AMD card. That is when the problem statred. I thought I removed all the pieces of the program, but who knows what I missed because it was still slowing down until I swapped the cards.

Good luck because it was very frustrating for me until I got it corrected.

Like mentioned above first step would be checking if hardware is reaching temps where the CPU is throttling - for both CPU and GPU.

Then re-install

- all the latest main-board drivers (if you know what you are doing consider a BIOS update as well)

- DirectX

- GPU driver

Make sure the system is clean. CCleaner and Spybot should do the trick. Use a good registry cleaner - it's worth to consider a payware one. Defrag your HDDs or TRIM your SSDs.

Btw, your Inspector AA setting is a bit odd - for a 560 SuperSampling is sure tough. Maybe try 4xMSAA plus 4xSparse Grid. No transparency.

First I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year.

Sorry for my late reply, got caught by a stomach flu during New Year, and I could not reach the forums.

First I have to answer the question of rogera:

CPU temps are: core 1 83C, core 2 87C, core 3 86C and core 4 85C. GPU shows a temp of 52C.

What I have discovered during the past days is the fact the fps stay at a comfortable level arroound 40 in VC view. Switching view to aby other gives a drop to 1 or below.

When dropping, it goed in steps. Starting at the level I am used to; arround 40. Then jumping down to about 30, increasing to 35 again, dropping to about 25 climbing to 30 and so on till 0.6 will be reached.

I have installed the previous driver for the nVidia GPU and at first it looked a lot better. FPS stayed at level, but after a while they dropped again :(.

Haven't been able to find the real cause yet.

I have to read and try all the suggestions you guys have given during the past 2 days. Will return with the results here.

Thanks for all your replies

CPU temps are: core 1 83C, core 2 87C, core 3 86C and core 4 85C. GPU shows a temp of 52C.

Hi Tino,

first of all, those CPU temps seem to be very, very high to me for a CPU running @ 3.33 Ghz.

Then, does the FPS drop occur with any plane (maybe I have just oversee that in your posts)? I’m asking, because I had once a similar issue, which was related to a certain plane.

In addition I would shut down Fraps, just to ensure it is not the cause of the drop.

Cheers, Wolfgang

Looks like we may have found the culprit!

I changed the AA setting through the nVidia Inspector into: AA_MODE_METHOD_MIXEDSAMPLE_4X_SKEWED_4TAP.

FS is now running for over an hour and the fps stay arround 30. The only issue is now, I have some microstutters. Looking into some other settings now to solve this issue too. Any suggestions from your side are welcome.

You guys have been a great help for me, so far. Thanks!

Hi Tino,

first of all, those CPU temps seem to be very, very high to me for a CPU running @ 3.33 Ghz.

Then, does the FPS drop occur with any plane (maybe I have just oversee that in your posts)? I’m asking, because I had once a similar issue, which was related to a certain plane.

In addition I would shut down Fraps, just to ensure it is not the cause of the drop.

Cheers, Wolfgang

The drop occure with all planes/helicopters I use. So I think we can rule out the aircrafts as a cause.

Thanks for your info on the temperatures of the CPU's. I will clean the ventilator and see what the results are. However temps are now below 80C after I made the changes described above.

Hi Tino,

running fsx at unlimited fps will cause a serious load on your system, limiting the fps to 30 and applying the settings for the nVidia Inspector as attached will improve things a wee bit, as for the temp on your CPU those are waaay to high, mine runs at 30 C not loaded and under full load at around 50-58 the same applies for the vidcard, please have a serious look at your cooling system for CPU and GPU.Posted Image

Thanks for your settings Wolter, I have changed mine to equal yours.

Just a question, are you useing Liquid cooling or (just like me) aircooling?

I have cleaned all fans and the airflow is direct with 4 casefans, 1GPU fan and 1 CPU fan (default Intel cooler). My CPU fan had collected a grey layer of dust.

Things are going from bad to worse. :(

After cleaning the fans, now the CPU temperatures went up to 100C!!!

No idea why, airflow is free, Cooler is clean, fans are spinning okey and are cleaned too.

The only thing I can imagine, is the cooling paste is too old. I had some remaining from a while ago. I used this when repalcing the fan this afternoon, when reinstalling the cooling after cleaning. Maybe this paste is old and is not functioning as it is supposed to.

Anyway I will buy new paste tomorrow and give it a try again.

Hi Tino,

100 C is definitly not good :blink:

with new cooling paste hopefully you get it down again, as for my cooling, see my sig, I have the Corsair H100 which I may say works a treat, it is replaced now by the H100i, my current system I've bought in July 2011

System: i7 2600K @ 4.8G ~1,345V| Asus P8Z68 deluxe | Corsair Hydro H100 | Mushkin Redline 8G @ 1600MHz CL7 ~1,65V | Gainward GTX580 Phanthom 3Gb | 310.70 BETA drivers | nVidia Inspector 1.9.6.8 | 1x Vertex 3 120G for OS | 1x Samsung 830 256G for fsX | 1x Velociraptor 600G | 3x WD 500G | CM Pro Gold 1000W | CM HAF-X | Logitech G15 Blue edition | G940 Flight System | Iiyama ProLite E2409HDS 24" 1920x1080x32 | W7 pro SP1 x64 EN | fsX+Acc+FTX+OZx+REX_Essentials

Thanks Wolter, Due to the "computer stress" I did not pay attention to your signature ;)

Have removed some cooling paste and now all seems to be fine. temperatures are now below 85 when running FSX and arround 30-35. It looks like I had put too much paste on :S

Will try a testflight tonight or tomorrow, using the external fps limiter too. Results will be posted here.

Paste is there to fill in the gaps between metal. Since the heatsink and cpu lid are not perfectly flat. Basically wherever metal is not toucing metal paste should be. Thin as possible.

+1

that's indeed very important press the cooler as tight as possible on the CPU the thinner the layer of cooling paste the better heat transfer to the cooler

Seems I am climbing out of the sh%#t now.

made some test runs with the UH-1 Huey from Aerosoft between Creswell and Walker airfield. During the period of the dropping fps it went wrong when approaching the first field after takeoff. After I made the changes suggested here in the forum (in the nVidia Inspector) I have done these circuits several times during a period of at least one and a half hour and let run the chopper idle on Cresswell for another hour. No drop in fps has been noted. All is running smoothly now.

I also installed the fps limiter bojote is suggesting.

Concerning the temperatures, the CPU's are now running arround 75-86C when flying FSX. During idle the CPU's stay arround 30-40C.

I think this is fine for the defaul Intel coolongfan. Maybe I might have a look for another fan in the future, but for now I am sattisfied.

The GPU is arround 55C during FSX flying.

I would like to thank you for all the help, suggestions and tips! They have been really helpfull for me!

Great to hear that everything is now running smoothly. And B.T.W I found your website and I'am also a member of the forum now.

Peter

Nice to read you've found my website, allways good to see some new members on the forum. So a warm welcome ;)

Just an addtional question about a minor remaining problem. Maybe it can be soved here aswell:

Everytime I start FSX it starts building a new scenery library. No matter I did or didn't install new scenery, FSX allways shows the message it is building a new library. It is not a big problem as there is nothing disturbed in FSX by doing so, but it takes some time I like to use flying :P

Is there an easy solution?

Nice to read you've found my website, allways good to see some new members on the forum. So a warm welcome ;)

Just an addtional question about a minor remaining problem. Maybe it can be soved here aswell:

Everytime I start FSX it starts building a new scenery library. No matter I did or didn't install new scenery, FSX allways shows the message it is building a new library. It is not a big problem as there is nothing disturbed in FSX by doing so, but it takes some time I like to use flying :P

Is there an easy solution?

When you changed an area in FTX central than it's correct, but when you did not than I don't know why FSX is building a new scenery CFG. Perhaps somebody else on the forum knows and can explain why.

Peter

I checked the FSX folder in the programData folder and the fsx.cfg is unticked. However the folder FSX in the ProgramData folder is ticked, (greyed out). When I untick this folder, and I close the folder property page and reopen the properties, it is ticked again.

There is no way to keep it unticked (as far as my knowledge goes).

Archived