WOAI is closing - FTX will do the whole world - Get the free AI files while you can!

alexf

In view of the impending closing of World of AI - WOAI (announced in their website: http://www.world-of-ai.com/index.php) and JVs comments on the release of Global FTX early 2013, to cover the whole world, you might want to get decent and realistic AI for your FSX skies.

I only fly ORBX-covered areas, nothing default. I always installed WOAI for those areas only. I thought it a good idea to install traffic for all other areas of interest to me.

WOAI is closing in April, get them while you can. All are free. All it requires is a little work.

First of all, you need the WOAI installer:

http://www.world-of-ai.com/installer.html

WOAI packages come in ZIP format. Open the ZIP and extract the ZIP found inside. I normally extract many ZIPs, hundreds if may be, to one folder. Then you run the WOAI installer and point it to the folder where the files are. Check you want FSX locations and select all. It will open and install the files to the proper locations:

AI aircraft files to c:\fsx\simobjects\airplanes and traffic files (bgl) to c:\fsx\scenery\world\scenery

You are not done yet.

WOAI files come in FS9 format. If you mix FS9 and FSX formatted traffic files, FSX will ignore all the newer FSX files and only use FS9. Microsoft's dumb idea.

You need the excellent and free utility AI Flight Planner by Don Grovestine (latest version is 2.2.02)

http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?JS=True&Folder=AIFP

This utility does a lot besides what we need here. You can create or modify traffic files for example.

What we need it here for is to convert FS9 formnat to FSX format. That is an option in the Files menu. Point it to your c:\fsx\scenery\world\scenery (select it with a checkmark). Select to add "FSX" and "FSX"suffix to the file names so you can tell them apart and let it run. Once done, DELETE ALL _FSX suffixed files, which are now duplicated. Leave the _FSX suffixed files and you are done.

You have now just filled the FSX skies with beautiful and realistic looking AI. Japanese airlines in Japan and German airlines in Germany, and everywhere else you want!

Enjoy!

Thanks for this Alex I had no idea they were FS9, maybe the files I had downloaded previously will work now :-)

"DELETE ALL _FSX suffixed files, which are now duplicated. Leave the _FSX suffixed files and you are done."

can you clarify the above.? I ran the programme and it converted the files but Im not sure what to delete

I don't tell it to autodelete anymore. I prefer to have control myself. I tell it to mark FSX files with FS9 suffix and convert. Then I look at the folder, sorted by name and see all the FS9 next to their FSX counterparts and delete the FS9 ones.

To make sure I got them all, I run the find all FS9 files again and it should find noe. A little tedious if you have tons of traffic files, as I do, but you do it once and you are done. Don't foget to make a backup of your traffic files just in case.

Surely the files will be made available even after they close. Either on their website or the community download sites like AVSIM &/or FS.COM???

That would be a no..... from their website:

Ouote: This has led to our decission to stop with World of AI.

At 30 April 2013 our website and support forum will go black.

This also mean that at 30 april 2013 we will remove all our packages and the installer from AVSIM and Flightsim. Unquote :-[

While I understand the generous intention by some to make these packages available to others, you must understand that WOAI obtained permission from each and every developer, painter and flight planner contributing to the WOAI packages to use their work. Those permissions expire when WOAI close down which is why the packages are being removed form Avsim and Flightsim. it is inappropriate for a third party to actively redistribute those packages without approval from the various people whose work is included in them.

The WOAI EULA is quite specific in that their packages cannot be uploaded to sites other than Avsim or Flightsim without the authors written permission. What has been discussed in this topic re file sharing is in direct breach of that EULA.

It is fair for us to enable discussion on the various issues relating to the closure of WOAI but it is completely out of order for Orbx to be hosting a forum where a distribution process is being discussed for a package the originators no longer want distributed.

I have removed the links to other sites hosting these files and related posts and will leave this topic open as I know you want to discuss the closure of WOAI but I will remove any posts offering or asking to download and distribute WOAI files.

WOAI are making their packages available until the end of April so I suggest those of you wanting them should download them from the appropriate site ie. Avsim or Flightsim.

I hope you understand our position on this issue.

Good, i was wonderiing about that, they were pretty clear about their policy and it is important to honour the feelings of the teams who make these wonderful resources. They were very careful about respecting the sources and keeping their packages very high quality. Thanks Graham.

I had thought the people talking about sharing the collection has gotten permission. Glad you clarified that. It only takes about two hours to collect every one they have up now, and is well worth the time.

Lead Admin

3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin

"We Build Worlds"

Many thanks for clarifying that Graham. Like I said my intention was just to help out others by saving them the hassle of downloading each file; I was by no means trying to profit from it, nor was I aware of that issue with freeware files, they are 'free' after all!

Anyway, apologies for ruffling any feathers and many thanks for your post, safe advice for the future.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Announcement elsewhere today from WOAI;

Hello

After spoken to some of the contributers of the packages we have decided not to remove all the packages and installer from AVSIM and Flightsim.

Peter

Good news for those that are looking for their old files.

Has anyone an idea which of the files would bring the sky in the ORBX-NA region to (even more) life?

I exclusively fly in PNW, PFJ, CRM, NRM, TFJ and (soon) SAK. So no need to bother the CPU with any superfluous AI traffic.

BTW, Graham: I love you GA-AI-package for NA! Great improvement of the scenery!

If you enter an airport code into WoAI's airport page it will give you a list of all the packages that fly into each individual airport. So a good start would be Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary, Portland and Anchorage as many of the packages will fly into all of them.

Don Grovestine has also done a very nice regional British Columbia AI package to go with his freeware BC airports. http://stuff4fs.com

Archived