Different Breeds, Same Species

qantas747

G'day everyone,

The more and more I read through places like these where flight simmers talk, I realise that we may all be simmers, but we are not all a like when it does come to simming.

You have the GA pilots, those who love to fly low in slow out of small airstrips with their single engine aircraft, always flying VFR, IFR is not a word in their vocabulary. You then have the rotorheads, a rather rare breed, who love the extra challenge of these wonderful machines, always with their hands on the throttle and stick (cyclic), flying rather slow, extra low. Then you have the fast jet types with the need for speed, for them subsonic is too boring, the only way to fly is to hop in their F/A-18 (or what ever fast jet).

Last but not least you have the tubeliner pilots. Some of you will say that this type of flying is rather boring, letting the autopilot fly all the time. Well, being a tubeliner simmer myself, I can tell you that it is sometimes that, but it is much, much more. I love flying the NGX, with its amazing realistic systems, trying to recreate the procedures of that flight I was on last month flying to see family. I love how different the world looks at FL380. I love having an objective with my VA, flying a real world schedules, using a real world route which I enter into the FMC is the same manner as that Qantas pilot sitting at gate C7 at YMML flying up to Sydney. As I am typing this now, I actually begin to realise it is sort of hard to explain it to you. I guess the only things that sums it up is that I love it. It has been something that I have been hoping to be doing as an occupation since I was 3, and I am well on my way.

There are many different breeds, but together we make up this rare species, the simmers.

What breed do you fall under, and why do you love it, what makes it special to you?

Cheers guys,

Ollie

Hi Ollie,

Great question! As you can tell by my avatar, I love the fast jets. I've now finally got my PC and sim running (touch wood) very well and can finally enjoy the ORBX scenery down low and fast. Of course this still induces some blurries etc, but it's pretty good. I just found some nice valleys near Wollongong the other night and had a blast. The beauty of FSX though, I find, is the ability to do anything you want. I was just thinking earlier today, that it would be interesting to try and land a 747 at Mangalore Airport just because I can. I do not limit myself to the jets either. When I first got in to FSX it was really due to my love of and fascination with aircraft. As such I was a freeware bandit, and downloaded as many aircraft as I could, and still do today. I know plastic model kits are still around and popular, but I kind of see FSX aircraft as the new model aircraft. You can't hold it, but you can jump in it and fly it! As my interest in FSX has expanded, I find myself intrigued with the geographical aspect of it, and as well as ORBX scenery, I am always downloading new freeware sceneries. I suppose my goal, like a lot of others, is to have as close a representation of the Earth in the sim as is practically possible.

I have also basically learnt to use a computer trying to overcome FSX's difficulties. I bought my first computer since primary school back in 2009 (a Pentium 4), and bought FSX and a joystick not long after, and the rest is history. :)

So, really I don't stick to VFR or IFR. To give an idea, off the top of my head here's a quick list of aircraft I enjoy flying regularly: Freeware Chipmunk, Virtavia F111, Iris PC-9, Wilco Airbus A320, A330, Citation Mustang, and probably most regularly the Just Flight Battle Of Britain Hurricane and Spitfire(in that order). I've probably left out a few that I fly all the time, and hundreds that I've flown before, so I suppose it depends on what mood I'm in on the day.

Oh, and the new English Electric Lightning! Luv it!

Cheers,

Hi there Ollie.

For me it is roughly 90% low and slow, 7% twin piston, 1% turboprop, 1% helicopters. (wheels/skids & floats) and 1% corporate jet.

After all Orbxland is too good to miss by heading for the stars.

Choice of aircraft made by country, mood, and type of flying -

England - the Seafury, Spit or Lancaster, Rapide, - Heathrow the 747;

Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Korea, Papua new Guinea - Twotter, Porter, Spit, Beaufighter, Bird Dog, 185, 206, P51, Thunderchief

Australia - 206, Twotter, F18, 737, 727, DH82 and Rapide

NZ - Fletcher, 206, 185, P51, Spit

Rockies - Spartan (1936), Waco, Chippie , Cub - all re engined for mountain performance

Etc, etc

Archived