Very poor res ground textures coming back to ORBX-land after flying some new MSE territory for a while

Drizzle

AARRGGHHhh!! What have I done???

For the past couple of weeks, I've been exploring some new MegaSceneryEarth territory I'd installed. (Particularly northern California, while I eagerly await the arrival of ORBX treatment of the same area...) Last night, I noticed the new FTXORBXLIBS_120825 patch and installed that. After that was complete, I wanted to enjoy the vastly superior quality of Orbx scenery and loaded a flight from Bowerman and flew over to Cushman Meadows. But something was GREATLY wrong!! Whereas the texture of the grass and ramp areas of these airports had been so rich and complex (especially with REX_GRASSII installed long ago), now these features were dull and lifeless.

Here are before and after shots of the same area at Cushman:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've gone through and checked all my settings and everything looks the same as before. I also compared the fsx.cfg file I'm using now against a backup from a couple of months ago (when everything was fine), and that looks exactly the same, too.

What have I done?? What am I missing??

Would reinstalling ORBX fix it? Is there something more simple I'm overlooking?? I can post my fsx.cfg file if that would help...

Thanks in advance....

Oh, the above "after" shot was taken after de-selecting all MSE scenery from the scenery library and restarting the computer -- just in case...

This could be one of two problems, or a combination of both. It looks like your ground detail texture is missing entirely in the second shot. You seem to be running a third-party detail texture in the first shot, which is what gives it that grassy look. Your ground texture resolution could also be dialed down too low, although you said nothing was changed in your config. My money is on a missing or corrupted detail texture. The simplest way to find out is to run FTX Aero (from your FTX Central control panel) and select one of our Orbx detail textures, then see what you get.

Gentlemen, THANK YOU!!! That did it! I selected the texture from Aero as Bill recommended, and it got MUCH better. So then -- because I have long enjoyed the "feel" of REX's grassy texture, I went back to the original REX_GRASSII.zip file and got a fresh replacement for what must have been a corrupted version of it to re-install in the textures folder, and everything is now back to "normal" again. And I am a superlatively happy flyer again!!!

I can't thank you enough -- not only for the invaluable advice, but also for the amazingly QUICK response!! You guys are the BEST.

Dang, I can't wait till you expand into this 'Brand-X' territory -- your stuff is lightyears ahead. I do enjoy their authentic detail (I get the biggest kick out of flying over places I've lived and worked in years past and actually seeing the buildings I know, etc), but it is so obvious that your product has involved SO MUCH MORE hands-on work and detail. And there's such "depth" to your scenery. Thanks for all you do!!

Archived