North approach to YMMB

Capnsully

woohoo, I nutted out the exporting of a Blender model to FSX (it's the big ugly shopping center to the right, with a bridge over the highway, and yes you can fly under it). Oh what a feeling! Still to build the other side and fix the crazy scale (it's too small), but it looks great in-sim and adds a real local feel to the place.

Posted Image

whats a "Blender Model" If it's anything like google sketchup then be carefull,they use numerous small texture sheets for there texturing, which bumps up the drawcalls.

Drawcalls have the biggest impact on frame rates, which is why great care was taken when modelling Mooribbin that we utilised large texture sheets and shared them among the models using multimaterials. Other than that if you can add landmarks then go for it, just a word of caution thats all

cheers

Ken

Thanks Guys.

Noted Ken, yes thats my worry too. Right now i'm using a single 2048 texture with this building just taking up a sixth of it. 1 drawcall. It's slow exacting work, makes me admire you devs so much more!

Yes, I call it BENDER as that's what it does to your mind. It's overkill probably, but it's got great workflow. Free too!

Too right Ken! But learning prevents the mind from rusting.

In Melbourne we spent over a billion on Myki, the ticketing system. I've watched some people being shown how to use it like it was a 747 FMC.

I was swearing at the pc today though, just couldn't get the textures to appear! At one point there could've been 8 or so different ways to stuff it up. It was a relief to finally see it in-sim. Still heaps to learn I think. Making the roof hard, reducing shinyness, fixing the scale.

Ha that reminds me, with blender you can do some stupid things. Once I had a strange bug, certain lights just wouldn't work. Ages later I realised I'd accidentally copied the scene about 10 times over, with 60 buildings that would cause issues!

Archived