Tale of a bushflyer

bernd1151

It was an early afternoon in Pitt Meadows in British Columbia, when we received a distress call from a small ranger station called Bear Camp Research. True to the camp’s name some bears had apparently broken into the storage facility last night and created havoc in it.

It wasn’t so much the meat that concerned the rangers, it was more their supply of whisky that had been completely wiped out during that onslaught. Those bears must have had a field day

Posted Image

Bear Camp Research is a small fictitious airstrip located in the mountains North of Langley. It’s in a small canyon on a bend above Pitt Lake with a 600 ft dirt runway.

So we first fly North along Pitt Lake

Posted Image

The airstrip has no run-out zone at its end, so I guess, it will be a bit tricky

Posted Image

And now the fun part starts, as we have to negotiate through the canyons in order to reach it.

Posted Image

Directly in front of us is the opening into the canyon where Bear Camp Research is located

Posted Image

Posted Image

We lower gear and flaps as the small airstrip is directly after the canyon opening. No room for second guesses

Posted Image

Now one can see the airstrip coming up. And it’s coming up awfully fast. I certainly do not suffer from low blood pressure now

Posted Image

My heart rate shoots up, my palms sweat and I sit upright in my seat with an iron grip on the wheel. Hell yes, I am nervous!

Posted Image

Lukla in Nepal is nothing compared to this

Posted Image

I guess I need a healthy shot of whisky now myself 8) 8)

Posted Image

Archived