AU versus NZSI and NZNI - what now for AU?

freddy

Matt Tomkins has been discussing an AU "SP5" with me for some time, and indeed we've added a new developer to the team who has already proven to be quite adept at creating urban centres to cities and we are preparing a work schedule for that person to begin to look at adding incremental detail to cities and large regional towns.

At some point we need to draw a line in the sand however, and whilst SP5 may be an incremental free update, if we do an AU V2.0 it will be a pay-for upgrade because Matt will likely want me to invest time and $ in a whole bunch of new texture classes and landclass improvements etc.

Our FTX regions are horrendously expensive to produce, and take years to become profitable. Only AU and PNW are in the black, all the others will take years to return on their investment. I won't tell you how expensive they are to produce but it is six figures and does not begin with a '1'. There is a reason why MS did not make FS11 and/or Flight with the level of detail our regions contain - they just did not have the budget for that level of content. If MS struggles to fund it, then spare a thought for Orbx, still very much a startup company. Even Lockheed Martin are focusing on core engine improvements and aircraft and leaving detailed regions to companies like ours. They understand the cost behind what we do and that is not part of their roadmap.

So for now at least we are focusing on continuing to roll out NA regions and the first of many EU regions, because they continue to provide the sandpit for which we can release HD airports.

Thank You very much for this info here JV!

A great topic and fine discussion as well!

Really enjoyed browsing and reading through all the many replies here.

So - my final 2 cents here on this particular issue:

I am most thankful for any updates which are being and will be done for Australia and i am also certainly going to pay for a complete overhaul of this otherwise already great scenery, if some sort of "Version 2" should be released one day.

Because - and as already pointed out here in previous posts:

ORBX sceneries are always a great investment for us flightsimmers!

Cheers, Christoph

Thank You very much for this info here JV!

A great topic and fine discussion as well!

Really enjoyed browsing and reading through all the many replies here.

So - my final 2 cents here on this particular issue:

I am most thankful for any updates which are being and will be done for Australia and i am also certainly going to pay for a complete overhaul of this otherwise already great scenery, if some sort of "Version 2" should be released one day.

Because - and as already pointed out here in previous posts:

ORBX sceneries are always a great investment for us flightsimmers!

Cheers, Christoph

100% correct

Thank you JV for your comments.

ORBX - FTX has been absolutely superb from day one , for me FTX adds a extra dimension to my

flight simulation .

Looking forward to anything for AU and the exciting UK.

Cheers

Karol

JV - read your "enhance city scenery" comment - now that sounds exciting. I absolutely loved your Company's free download of Portland, Oregon - and here is the idea - you could add city enhancements at a lower or reduced cost for example - (sort of like DLC) for those users who wish for that finer bit of detail within their already purchased ORBX scenery... just thinking out loud...

• 10 months later...

I have AUS SP4 and OZx 3.4

If ORBX release AUS SP5 I'll take it

If they release a paid version of AUS v2.0, I'll take that too.

I'd eventually like to get all the ORBX stuff, but limited budget and all that.

Archived