FTX AI Traffic at NZAA after NZNI install

I find that now I have NZNI installed, all my Orbx FTX AI traffic is back to running not all smooth in as much as when they taxi they are forever making small corrections and when they turn, instead one smooth turn they have about ten bites at the cherry so to speak.

After Grahams last patch, or update as you wish to call it. The aircraft were much improved along with the frame rates and when they turned they did so mostly in one sooth action. Really smooth with very few corrections if at all. I don't know if I need to re-install the last update or what to try.

It might be my imagination but I reckon the models are different again, can't put my finger on it but I used to look at them and think, how did graham manage to get these models looking so good and running so well.

Do hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers, Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Graham's away for a few days, so I'll help out here for now,

The 'step' turn is more to do with the APX of the airport than the AI aircraft as far as I know, was there a specific airport you are seeing this behavior at?

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim, Yes very bad at Auckland, and to some extent at Wellington. I did a check at Christchurch and they seem to be as they should be. I did think that it may have been caused by other than the AI themselves but Graham must have had some trick to get them so good

at the last update of Orbx FTX AI.

Cheers, Kevin

Hi Kevin. As Tim stated above, the movement of AI aircraft on the ground is more dependent on the APX taxiway/pathway structure than the AI aircraft themselves. Placing a single node on a bend or corner will ensure the AI aircraft makes a nice clean sweep of the corner as it is only going around the one node but the yellow line on the ground may not be placed as it should be.

More accurate placing of the ground markings requires more nodes to be placed to 'draw' the line more precisely as required. The downside to this is that the AI aircraft will then change direction more often as it heads for each of the placed nodes in turn.

Default airports generally have far less nodes than a modified airport - a bit like a stick figure of a human rather than a nicely shaped drawing. In the end, it's a balancing act to achieve the best overall outcome for both airport structure and AI aircraft performance..

Thanks for the reply Graham. Yes that node change would make sense as to there current performance, perhaps done along with airport enhancements. Some of the heavies now turn in on the grass and back to the last taxi-way upon landing. Also aircraft are told to hold on the taxi-way for traffic that doesn't excist.

Just suck it and get used to it I guess. I do appreciate all your hard work and all the Obix team and have been having an eye popping time flying around my home area, Thanks again.

Cheers, Kevin

Archived