Grass not showing properly [Westwind/CEN4]

I have not been able to get the grass to show properly at West Wind. I also have the problem with Cen4 as well. Checked all my settings. Is it possible that my settings could be too high? Haven't had the problem with other sceneries from Orbx

Newest FTXORBXLIBS_120509 installed?

Yes it is, Rodi. Do you think I should re-install it? Can that mess things up by reinstalling? Don't want to mess other things up just to get the grass to look right. Otherwise the scenery is veautiful

Thanks Tim and Rodi. Reinstalled FTXORBXLIBS_120509 but no joy. PNW patch 5 is installed as well. No biggy. I love the scenery as it is only 5 miles from my home here in the PNW. I feel like ORBX is designing scenery just for ME! Ha Ha

Thanks again Guys!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I appreciate that these airfields are freeware and in Dx9 are lovely, but since Steve Parsons work on the Dx10 shaders more and more people are using Dx10 preview mode as it can give a smoother feel and improved fps. So I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the non-Dx10 dry grass at CEN4? At CEJ4 there is a bgl called ORBX_NRM_CEJ4_grass_dry_PLC.bgl and replacing it with a blank bgl removed the issue but in CEN4 I think it must be part of another bgl.

Thanks for all your efforts guys!

RogerA

• 1 month later...

Roger, your comments really made the point - and your idea to replace ORBX_NRM_CEJ4_grass_dry_PLC.bgl with a blank bgl finally did the trick. Thank you very much.

To me Dx9 is no option, as I lose a bit of sharpness on ALL textures.

Let me enclose 3 screenhots:

1) Dx10, original CEJ4 files

Posted Image

2) Dx9, original CEJ4 files

Posted Image

3) Dx10, CEJ4 with empty grass-bgl.file

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys,

I first posted on the 30th of September about the CEN4 issue and still nothing has been done. We're talking about one bgl file to make this airfield Dx10 compatible. I am aware that ORBX doesn't guarantee Dx10 compatibility but Dx10 will not go away and P3D will probably go Dx10+ when V2 is released. I think I've bought enough FTX product to expect a solution to this issue for a field that was a favorite in Dx9.

Posted Image

Hi Rogera,

Vlad has only made freeware for Orbx up to this point so it wouldn't be fair to say he owes anything to anyone,

But still if its a simple enough fix I'm sure he'll look in to it, this being a 'Resolved topic' it tends to not get looked at or slips away off the current days un-read topics list, I'll drop him a line.

Regards

Tim

Maybe if you PM Vlad, he may not have noticed your original post, not sure if that grass is an FTX orbx libs object or one of Vlads own, the better remedy would be to make the grass MDL dx10 compatible, but thats up to whoever made the original model.

cheers

Well guys,

I first posted on the 30th of September about the CEN4 issue and still nothing has been done. We're talking about one bgl file to make this airfield Dx10 compatible. I am aware that ORBX doesn't guarantee Dx10 compatibility but Dx10 will not go away and P3D will probably go Dx10+ when V2 is released. I think I've bought enough FTX product to expect a solution to this issue for a field that was a favorite in Dx9.

Wooo, sir, I expect (and expected) many things and I usually never got them! :)

The grass I've used was a standard library item. For the freeware airports, standard ORBX libraries are used as not everybody downloading the freebees has the ORBX payware regional packs purchased and installed. Thus, if and when the libraries at some point will be made DX10 preview compatible, I'm sure the freeware sceneries will be upgraded as well. Unfortunately for now they are DX9 only (at least CEN4 and CEJ4).

Dear Vlad,

it is fair enough not too spend too much extra work on the freeware. Be sure, your free appetizers are wonderful pieces of work - so nice, that it becomes a pity to see the limits of the DX10. It would be fantastic to find an easy solution like the empty bgl, which works for CEJ4.

Let us see what the time will bring (maybe a library upgrade helps), meanwhile we enjoy your payware!

Vlad,

That's all I expected, just to identify the offending bgl and we can do the rest with a blank bgl. I have searched high and low for it in the scenery folder but if it's there it would seem to be part of another bgl, so hunting it down may prove difficult.

It's only because I so enjoyed your work that I want it right. I hope you can see that now?

Cheers,

Roger.

Hi Roger (and Gerold): I'll be looking for the offending library items and I hope to release service packs for both strips! Just please give me some time (I'm in the process of finishing another strip - payware this time - also for NRM). Although they're both freebees, they would benefit from a mild makeover, since you guys like them so much! Thanks! :) I'll try to add the Object Flow technology as well, which wasn't available for the freeware stuff then, to CEN4 as well - I never liked the characters freezing their butts off in the winter or staying out at night. I hope that not only the dx10 converts would benefit from this, but also my friends flying out of CEN4 in RL...

Roger - you'll not find the offending bgl - in my inexperience then I've bundled all the placement bgls into one. Another bit to get right this time! :)

• 1 month later...

Archived