Baby Blue inland water

denver

Hi,

It is only in the Orbx regions All NA that the inland brown water is actually baby blue and looks terrible. I went to my UT regions like New Orleans and can confirm there is brown water there. Only in the Orbx regions is it baby blue. This just destroys an otherwise pristine scape.

I am using REX and AS2012 and have tryed installing those inland brown textures. The change is not being made in the Orbx regions.

Thanks Marc

Hi Marc,

that sounds like a settings or compatibility issue because all NA regions come with custom water textures for ocean and inland water that are much darker than the default versions and also much more diverse in terms of hues for different sediment loadings, static wave imprints, etc.

What are your slider settings for water effects? Also, do you have any add-ons at higher display priority than FTX in your scenery library menu that may include water class and texture files?

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

Waters 2x Medium

Only thing above FTX is Oryx Kelowna and the freeware Vancouver International. I dont think those 2 would be doing it and from how I understand it I may need those above FTX since they are both in the FTX regions.

Thanks

Holger, am I correct that it is not possible to overrule Orbx water colours with FTX water colours? At least I never was successful when I tried to do it. Exception: ocean colours in some regions around Australia. I also found out that the colours of inland water look completely different when looking at them in top down view compared to VC view or spot view. E. g. what is brown in top down is blue in spot. Actually I never see brown water in spot or vc view only in top down view.

Wolfgang

It's got to be a file right? Maybe I need the brown one again. Re-install or could you email me one?

I reinstalled my default textures from AS2012 and it lookspurple now but not brown. So I dont think Orbx fully overides the water even though it is at the top of the stack.

Hi Marc,

just like our landclass files and associated ground textures we don't overwrite any of the default water textures located in \Scenery\World\Texture, instead we create and place our own inside the FTX_NA_xxx08_CUSTOM folders, providing 100% coverage for each NA region. In other words, manipulating the default water colors via REX or UTX won't have any influence within our regions. Also, FSX default uses just two different inland water colors while our NA regions provide about a dozen variations.

However, the actual display of the "base" water textures is greatly affected by a number of other factors, including the water effects slider setting, the choice of simulated wave effects, cloud conditions, sun angle, sky textures, etc. Having said that our water replacement textures are meant to be darker and more realistic then the default versions and most movie clips and screenshots made by us and our customers show the intended effect. That's why I believe that the "baby blue" hues you're seeing has to be one of those other factors I mention above. Does the water turn dark when you move the water effects slider to the leftmost or second from left position or does it stay light blue? In those lower two water effects slider positions the reflection and wave overlays are deactivted (the same happens in top-down view) so that's a good cross-check whether our replacement textures are active at all.

Perhaps post a couple of screenshots including location and date/time of day so that we can compare that with what we're seeing.

Cheers, Holger

Just as a matter of interest I am having the same problem with bright blue water, but only in Aus or in default areas.. I had lovely dark water, which suddenly became this horrible bright blue after an install of some sort.. unfortunately I do not recall which install caused it, but as I only add OZx and Orbx stuff it has to one of those. I also have fswater configurator, which used to work fine but no longer has any affect. All the US addons from Orbx are fine, with great water colours. Teecee.

Hi Teecee,

unlike the NA and NZ regions none of the AU regions include custom water textures, only waterclass files that place default textures and only with partial coverage. In other words, whatever changed in your setup has nothing to do with Orbx.

As I've pointed out above much of the actual visual representation of water has very little to do with the base textures because the various reflection overlays are so strong. For example, either of the two "1.x" Water Effects slider settings will pretty much guarantee light blue colors; I actually use Mid 1.x for Beta testing because its extreme reflectivity nicely highlights any water elevation issues.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger.. but i think it's something in the sim itself, as the water slider does nothing.. not to worry, I will be flying Prepar3d more and more, and I have no problems there.. Teecee.

1xlo actually looks great. Your brown water and my tweaked REX dark blue ocean. the other 1's look terrible with 1xhi all crazy pooweder blue with a light blue ocean. the 2's all of them look the same with a medium dark ocean (does not seem to darken as I set darker REX ocean textures) and your inland brown is more of a blen of a grey blue of a lightish shade.

So 1xlo looks as if your textures are there. Should I try different REX sky themes and such, do you think it might be that?

Hi Marc,

I'm still a bit confused about your reference to "our" brown water. Most of our inland water textures aren't brown at all but range from very dark blue to turquoise. Only a few of the rivers with heavy sediment load, like the Fraser or Columbia, have brown tinges. Is that what you are referring too?

Other than that, yes, I'd suggest experimenting with different sky themes but also with the weather. For example, there should be a big difference in the water display between cloudless sky and overcast conditions.

Cheers, Holger

Yes that is probably it, turqois. Problem is is that Before I dumped my last OS and FSX for a full reinstall the water in the NA regions was allot darker blue and I never remember seeing turquise water in the rivers only in the high glacial lakes where it is supposed to be and this was on 2xmed like now. Now the blue water looks a little to digital in apearance. And there is quite a bit of the lighter color or turquise in rivers. Is this supposed to be? Now when I pulled the water slider down to 1xlo to confirm your textures were working the river water was very dark blue and the turquise areas of river water were muddy brown. This was tested just east of friday harbour where the land meets the sea and rivermouths. So this has me confused. On my last setup (same computer but gtx 460 vs 580 that I have now) The water was much darker with occasional brown sediment. Now it is lighter blue with turquise where I believe it was brown before or some combination of brownish and blueish. When the water gets put on 1xlo it looks allot closer to how it did on my last install and card. Anyway I never remembered complaining about water in your areas but now I complain it looks not very good to downright not so good. I am also using various REX and AS2012 textures and combinations that I was using before. Changing these along with different water waves yields no change in apearance. I am on the 280.33 driver as well although I am not sure that really matters.

What also is weird is that 1x hi looks so god aufull with the ocean a bright turquise poweder blue reflection. I never played around with 1xhi before on my last system so maybe it just looks like that. I think 1xmed looked like that as well. Maybe I have something wrong.

In real airplanes water looks almost black from above in brught sun, especially at high altitude. This is the look I strive for with REX or AS2012 and outside of your regions I get it. I understand Orbx overrides this but is there anyway to tweak my water darker?

Thanks

Marc

Hi Marc,

in your descriptions you're actually confirming that this is a settings issue on your side due to hardware/OS changes (we haven't made any changes to the NA water textures since first releasing PNW) so you'll need to find those external factors that make the water display too bright for your taste. Again, if you post some representative screenshots we may be able to provide suggestions or comparisons but that's about all we can do.

In addition you could look through some of the screenshots in our user forum and ask the posters for their specific settings and third-party add-on configurations.

Cheers, Holger

I thought you said 3rd part addons for water had no effect on Orbx water? Everything is setup the same as before as far as sky and water waves. I have no new add ons for the environment that I did not have running before. Even before playing with different sky and water waves did not ever change the color of Orbx water. If it is something of mine interfeering what else could it possibly be? I would not even know where to start looking. Sorry for being a pain.

Is the turquise water supposed to be there in these rivers in the area I described above east of friday harbour? If so than ok.

I would like to post a screenshot but the insert image button on the editor has no browse button only a space for a url. Forgive me but how to I attach or upload a screenshot from my computer?

Thank you

Hi Marc,

what I tried to explain is that the only component to water display that we provide is the base coloring, which is visible when pulling the water effects slider to the left. All the other layers that get added at higher slider settings are controlled by various environmental files and parameters for which you are using either default FSX versions or third-party replacements: shaders, sky settings, weather, dynamic waves, etc. The combined effect of these "reflection" layers can mask or even change our base color, as becomes obvious when moving the water effects slider to the right.

There's a sticky post at the top of this forum that explains how to upload screenshots.

Cheers, Holger

• 4 weeks later...

I solved the problem with FSWC! I don't know why I did not have this issue with my last installation. Anyway FSWC to the rescue, the water never looked better. It was the "vertical reflection intensity" was turned all the way up for some reason even though I did not have FSWC nor do I remember the default FSX looking that horrid before so I do not know what the heck happened. It looked like playschool meets barnie at 30,000 feet. Might as well have had Scooby in trail on that one. I now see where you guys diligently use off blue and green hues to that inland water. This is what I had in my last installation and I have no idea why I got baby blue with this one.

I can't wait for Northern CA! Are you guys going to include KWVI, Watsonville airport? That is my home drome for the last 15 years.

Archived