AU RED - The Alice

Some folks wanted to see Alice Springs so I quickly mocked up a red township texture variant (placeholder) and took a few snaps. Note the vegetation is all wrong and we don't have bulldust covered roads yet - this is an alpha build after all  ;D

This will be the final lot of AU RED shots until after we're into beta. The GREEN express train is rolling in soon, yay!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

As a long time resident of Alice Springs and the Central Australian Region, I Look forward to seeing the end results.. Dont forget there are 65000 wild free roaming Camels and a bucket load of Skippies... Adding those throughout would be a nice touch...

Cheers

Looks wonderful, a definite buy for me!

Just one question (yes, me again): could you try to use different, more rocky textures on the hills, and the 'just vegetation' textures more in the flat areas? In the last shot, I see the vegetation texture continue over the ridges, but in reality, the rocky outcrops are generally forming the ridges. I don't know how difficult this is, but it would add to the general realistic feel (well, for me anyway, but I'm a geologist..)

Jan Kees

As a long time resident of Alice Springs and the Central Australian Region, I Look forward to seeing the end results.. Dont forget there are 65000 wild free roaming Camels and a bucket load of Skippies... Adding those throughout would be a nice touch...

Cheers

Yes I've been wondering if we are going to see those.

These are alpha shots, using about 10% of the actual textures we have in progress now. RED is going to be very diverse in its texture pallette, and we are also creating a SP1 release for GREEN that takes advantage of the RED pallette (i.e. the current deep reds in GREEN are being softened as they contrast far too much).

Reason for not showing a lot of screenshots right now is that Matt is still in the middle of recolouring work and it's a little bit uncohesive for the next week or so. Bear with us, some of the stuff he's been showing us is simply sensational!

There are wild camels in Australia? Never knew that  :) Or does "camels" refer to something else there (not fully familiar with the Aussie slang) ?  :D Is Orbx going to include these camels there? Would be great to spot some on the approach to Alice Springs.

Reason for not showing a lot of screenshots right now is that Matt is still in the middle of recolouring work and it's a little bit uncohesive for the next week or so. Bear with us, some of the stuff he's been showing us is simply sensational!

I'm slowly going more batty than normal waiting for this one. I can't wait to play around the Broken Hill area.

Hmm ... I wonder if that could have sounded too much like a hint for a screenshot of the Silver City

• 2 weeks later...

Shaka:  the early European settlers imported camels to transport supplies to remote stations (ranches, not railway) and also to carry mining equipment into isolated sites.  Most of Australia is desert, and before railway, roads and reliable motor vehicles, camels were the best carriers.  But when they were superceded by more efficient forms they were let go wild.  Not only are they heavy grazers of native plants, but they also quickly destroy and empty waterholes that kept small native species alive.

Camels are now another of the many exotic pests that roam Australia, like cats and rabbits in the desert, yes truly, and are changing the makeup of the native fauna and flora.

But if you go to the Alice or the Rock, you can take a camel ride.  They are now part of the tourist experience.

Cheers

Can't wait to see the Alice again in a couple of weeks.  I had many opportunities to chopper along the West Macs and out along the Finke.  It will be fantastic to do it in FSX as well with Red.  We really are spoilt!

Small things, but important to me..we will get to see the rail line going through Heavitree Gap in the Alice, instead of over mount Gillen, get rid of the stupid blue rivers (which only run once in a blue moon in RL, and will only be sandy creekbeds I hope), and the ridiculous multistory buildings in the farm Area.. Bring it on I say.. Teecee.

get rid of the stupid blue rivers (which only run once in a blue moon in RL, and will only be sandy creekbeds I hope

I lived in an apartment on South Terrace for a brief stint, and woke one morning to find the Todd River running. Trust me even on that rare occasion it is running, it doesn't run blue!  :P

get rid of the stupid blue rivers (which only run once in a blue moon in RL, and will only be sandy creekbeds I hope

I lived in an apartment on South Terrace for a brief stint, and woke one morning to find the Todd River running. Trust me even on that rare occasion it is running, it doesn't run blue!  :P

The first time I started up FSX I flew from Broken Hill to Menindee. Imagine my surprise when I saw Stephen's Creek as a nice bright blue trout stream! Considering that in 20 years of living in the region I'd only seen it run twice and even then it was 2 foot of frothy brown water. I really hope there's some reclassification of most of the water ways throughout the AU Red region (and the western NSW regions of Blue).

Yes, when I was in the Pilbara (lots of times), we always camped in the riverbeds, nice soft sand, lots of trees to keep the moon away and provide firewood, and virtually no chance of wet feet. If you want to give the rivers a color, I'd suggest sand color...

Same thing for Queensland near Mt Isa btw, I took a flight there the other day and met lots of blue rivers/streams. Never saw one in real life....

Archived