Me 108 in NZSI

bernd1151

A friend of mine mentioned the other day that they have a Messerschmitt Bf108 Taifun in their museum in Tauranga. This is a very special plane that was built between 1934 and 1945 as a 4-seater reconnaissance and early executive plane. Its weight of 880kg and 240hp Argus AS10 made her a pretty outstanding little plane for her time, which even Charles Lindbergh loved to fly.

I always wanted to fly a vintage plane in beautiful NZ, so last week I sneaked into the museum`s hangar and had the Me108 secretly moved from Tauranga on the North Island to Glenorchy on the South Island. From there I planned to fly, weather permitting, North East to visit a friend at Milford Sound.

Posted Image

Getting ready for take off

Posted Image

Isn`t that my buddy there waving at me? Christ, how did he know?

Posted Image

Turning North East over beautiful Lake Wakatipu

Posted Image

As we are filled to the brim with superb Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc and the weather forecast is favorable, we decide not to push the envelope and fly through instead of above the mountains.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the distance one can see Lake Mckerrow

Posted Image

Milford Sound airport dead ahead

Posted Image

Landing approach in suicide-style ':lol:'. But as our speed indicator is already way off the charts, I decide to take it slow and make a turn around

Posted Image

Gosh, what a fantastic surrounding!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmmmh... seems to be a bit crowded here

Posted Image

and a bit tight too

Posted Image

Never mind, we`ll stay overnight and live off our supplies :lol::lol:

Thanks guys that you liked my screenies and thanks to FTX for giving us such a fantastic scenery. And yes the airplane is a sheer joy to fly. Very realistic behavior too, meaning if you don`t treat her as intended, she will quit on you. >:( >:(

Archived