AU GREEN - Project Update

John Venema

Hello all,

I just wanted to give you a status report on AU GREEN. Whilst I will mention the targets we are aiming for, this is not a release date announcement ok? ;)

Right now we are in the final stages of development, with a view to have the first RTM candidate done sometime next week. As you can see from the preview shots the team is sharing it's coming together nicely and the results are stunning. It's exceeding our own expectations. Another thing you need to realise is that there has been a huge amount of R&D work gone into GREEN, purely because of the complexity of the hydro elements of the region, with the wet/dry seasonal aspects in the far north, the Great Barrier Reef, the different soil compositions and the incredible variety in the terrain within the one region. We'd consider GREEN to be the most comprehensive region we've yet done. One example: there are millions of kilmetres of sand ridges accurately modeled in GREEN, based on government data. If you thought the inland areas are going to be dull and lifeless, think again :)

Here's the work which still needs to be completed:

Custom Landclass - The LC team has done a remarkable job with GREEN, and like GOLD, this region will have over 90% custom LC coverage, which is quite astounding given the size of the area covered. We have allocated the remaining cells to various team members and progress is solid.

Hydro and Coastlines - Rossco and Holger have completed work from Gladstone to W of Darwin, which is a massive undertaking. They are now working hard to continue through to Broome. We may not have it all done for RTM, but it will be a cinch to hotfix. Holger is also putting a lot of tech into the inland hyrdo work - I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

Ground Terrain Textures - GREEN is 100% Matt Tomkins' work - these are about the most beautiful textures Matt's ever produced, and depth of colour is wonderful. We've been at texture lock-down for some time, and Matt is currently working through them all for the seasonal colouring pass. We'll add one more texture class for red dusty towns for places like Kununarra etc.

Roads, Rail and Traffic - These are all done for the entire region, with just the infringements and missing bridges that Holger needs to do before release.

Vertical Obstructions - All complete for the region, with perhaps some alignments to be done based on beta testing.

Autogen Annotation - I am 50% done with the vegetation and 25% done with the buildings. This is a big task, and the only thing which could potentially hold up release, so I'd better get cracking eh?

Night lighting - Again, 50% done, with only some townships, acreage estates, hamlets and farms for me to add night lighting too. Will be the last thing which gets done (which is always the case with night lighting).

Installer and FSS - Adrian will soon be putting up the AU GREEN product page in readiness for release, and the installer will be built once we get a green on the RTM builds. This region will weigh in heavier than the previous two, probably around 800-900MB, but hard to tell until the night textures are in place.

So .. there you have it from the source. We're pretty close; I'd say give us a few more week with a view to a release inside September ok?

Yours in updates.

Take your time. I haven't finished exploring Blue and Gold yet!  ;D Then again, on my way north now along the east coast. I should be reaching Green area when you guys are ready for release. Then on to some more exploring  ;D  :D

Archived