Hey guys, yesterday (April 3) I went on a little day trip over to Santa Catalina Island, which is one of the California Channel Islands. I brought along my video camera, and here you can see the approach and landing; later, I will post the takeoff and departure. The airport serves the town on the island called Avalon, California. This airport, known as Catalina Airport, is known also as the 'Airport in the Sky' because it it situated on a plateau on one of the highest points on the island, and it is a very majestic and beautiful approach, and island all together. I'd like to see Orbx make this when SoCal comes along, too. Enjoy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oKjztBNvwQ&hd=1

Thats my fav airport - I gave it a complete makeover with the Oshkosh anddon and many ORBX objects. Really awesome now. Also the airport is at 1600 asl so they call it the airport in the sky.

Cheers

jja

Cool video, I've landed their a few times myself. Use to take the shuttle down to the isthmus for an abalone sandwich many years ago! This is one airport where your setup for landing can make a big difference. Can have down drafts at both ends of the runway depending on the direction of the wind. There use to be the wreckage of a Cessna at the east end of the runway that went over the edge. Luckily no one was killed. I think they kept it there for a reminder... :unsure:

Cheers

Martin

I have landed there .. virtually in fsx ... but one thing I remember from sailing over ther in the 80's was all the Garibaldi .. californias state fish and all the bio- luminescence in the water .. btw I heard gas is 9 dollars a gallon ther but every one drives golf carts . :0

Archived