[Windows7/Vista users] Turn UAC [off] before running Orbx installers

John Venema

Before installation of any Orbx installer under Vista or Windows7 you need to either:

a. Turn UAC off

or

b. Give full access permissions to the FSX folders for the user account for which you installed FSX for.

We also have Vista64-friendly versions of the Orbx executables here: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=5202.0  - these will allow you to turn UAC back on if you require it.

Why is this important?

If Vista 64 does not allow the Orbx applications to backup your original FSX files that we replace (about 50 small files), then when using FTX Mode to turn the Orbx features off, you may not have a complete backup of your original files. This has caused an issue for a very small number of users, such as gable-ends appearing on flat roofs in other parts of the world.

The simplest way to ensure your files are successfully backed up is to disable User Account Control (UAC), even temporarily during installation. Orbx will be including revised versions of the applications for future service packs of its products, and apologises for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Edit by Meatycus: To turn off UAC in Windows7, simply hit 'Start' and type "UAC" into the box and follow the prompts, and dont forgot to reboot after you do this

• 4 months later...

Dear John,

First, awesome scenery downunder and thanks for that. I have installed Blue and Gold regions and am considering Green and Red but want to better understand when I need UAC off. I did turn it off when I downloaded the installer and when I subsequently installed Blue, Gold, YMML and YSCH. Now I am confused when I need to turn it off during normal FSX flying. I usually leave Orbx FTX scenery installed when flying in other parts of the world (is that bad or good?). I do notice that when I what to turn FTX off I need to have UAC turned off which is a pain in the butt but obviously that is a clear time when I need to turn it off. Do I also need it off when I am running FSX especially after turning FTX off and then running FSX. If I don't turn UAC off and I am the administrator can't I just grant permission when your programs are trying to change setting, etc... in FSX?

Thanks for taking time to respond.

I've been to Australia 4 times and New Zealand twice and it is so cool to see things as they are. I have Vista 64 bit Home Premium and a Dells Quad 9550 with Nvidia GTX280 and it really seems to preform well even with YMML levers up to near max and also running REX which is an incredible addition to your scenery for realism.

Take care,

Mark Garrett

Spokane, WA.

p.s. Looking forward to North America scenery. Any dates as yet when it will be offered?

I've got a question on this as well. I glossed over the UAC issue when installing. I am fairly certain I have full access rights to the FSX folder, but I'd like to go ahead and confirm that I have the FTX backups in place. I've got a  ORBX/Scripts/Backup folder with 71 files. Can I safely assume that this contains the backups and the the FTX mode switcher is working properly?

I would go further JV.

When installing Vista ... turn UAC off after installing the OS ... and leave it off.  It is a complete nightmare .. and not just for Orbx installers.

I have not found it helpful in any sense.

I agree completely.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Win7's UAC is a little more savvy and adaptable, Vista's UAC is still a dog.

The problems are not universal .... but you may well run in to permissions problems  when installers try to access / write into key directories.

So the best advice is to turn it off to run the installer.

Win7's UAC is a little more savvy and adaptable, Vista's UAC is still a dog.

The problems are not universal .... but you may well run in to permissions problems  when installers try to access / write into key directories.

So the best advice is to turn it off to run the installer.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

wait, now I'm sort of confused, at the top of this forum you say to just give the user access to the fsx folder, but as the post goes on, it appears that turning UAC off is the only option, is this the case?

NOTE

1. I have Windows 7

2. I do not have an orbx addon yet, it is in the mail XD

Before installation of any Orbx installer under Vista or Windows7 you need to either:

a. Turn UAC off

or

b. Give full access permissions to the FSX folders for the user account for which you installed FSX for.

(my Bold and type size)

If you set permissions correctly all will be well, but it is easy to miss something.  Turning UAC off is easier and more foolproof IMO.

• 1 month later...

I trust my profile now validates my Credentials ay least for PNW. There is no record of Aust FTX on my PC Aviator account page.  Assuming all now OK I repeat that I have downloaded and installed the patch for Aust but cannot for the PNW patch and library files.  I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and can find only optioon to 'disble' UAC is to select 'never notify'  After restarting makes no difference at all.  Any suggestions would be most helpful as am not a computer whizz.

Marjan

Archived