Has anyone seen this covered runway?

Scott Harmes

Hi. I'm just wondering if any of you users or developers have come across this scene before. I took off from KMUO and after a touch and go elsewhere I approached KSKA (Fairchild AFB). I've flown around KSKA a fair few times in the past and I've never seen this before. It was as if the closer I got to the runway the more of it was being covered up. By the time I touched down I was buried in the snow. I actually passed right through whatever this was and landed on the asphalt, and I could actually see the outline of the "bulge" from inside of it. The strangest part is I tried again later, taking off from KSKA in the Robinson R22 and I could not see the same problem. I did notice a slight bump, or change in level, along the side of the airport though. My terrain mesh is set to 5m. Please see the pics below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi Tonywob.

Thanks for your tip, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any other scenery installed in the area. I did just install a KC-135 ai package which uses Fairchild AFB, but I disabled any of the included afcads if they conflicted with any FTX airports. Thanks again for the tip! :)

Hi Scott,

Always use this procedure if you come across any elevation anomalies:

- Run a windows search of your FSX folder for KSKA, with FTXcentral set to [North America] you should see the same as my picture below:

Posted Image

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. It's very strange but last night I tried taking off again from another field in Lewiston and flew to Fairchild again in the Iris F-22, which I was flying when the runway was playing up, just to see if the problem would re-occur. It actually didn't occur and the runway appeared perfectly, along with the rest of the field, as far as I could tell. I had not changed anything in my setup, so I found this to be a little perplexing ??? . However, also last night, I remembered that I had installed a Boston Virtual ATC airports package which had airports across the USA a while ago. I didn't bother to check it out last night, but after reading your post I just ran the search you suggested and sure enough I do have a couple of conflicts for KSKA in the BVATC folder. Thanks for the search tip. That's a great way to find any conflicts in the FSX folder. I used to use a program to do that but I think your method may even be faster and easier.

Cheers,

Archived