Cloudy Caloundra

Derek McAllan

G'day all,

Once again, I've had an enforced break from FSX whilst travelling for work... I swearI could actually get myself from Perth to Mackay in my sleep now. Yay for the Brisbane Qantas Club! Pretty much a second home for me at the moment. Anyway, I return with a nice little set of pics from a lovely flight I made from Caloundra up to Bundaberg in one of my favourite fast turboprops - the Pilatus PC-12. This time it's a VIP flight for the RAAF, late afternoon on a cloudy February day - the weather was real at the time of the flight, and of course provided by REX. Another new addition for me was the installation of Radar Contact, I've finally taken the plunge and done away with default FSX ATC. What a difference!! While not perfect, it is a hell of an improvement. But anyway, on with the show :) Warning - this post contains lots of cloudy, sunset-y, silhouette-y awsomeness!

Posted Image

Climbing out of Caloundra and picking up the track to the first waypoint - the Maroochydore VOR

Posted Image

Still climbing, somewhere around Noosa I think

Posted Image

Nice green summery QLD landscape, with a typical layer of thick cloud. At least it's not raining.

Posted Image

Above cloud level and into the golden late afternoon sunlight

Posted Image

Cruisin' at 16,000'

Posted Image

Top of Descent, just before Maryborough and just cleared for a discretionary descent to 7,000' Nice Cu's and CuNim's around

Posted Image

Back below the main cloud layer with some scud kicking along below. Oooh's and Ahhh's from the cabin as our passengers notice the most excellent view. This is what flying's all about 8)

Posted Image

Bathed in the golden glow of the setting sun as we approach Bundy, also being appealingly lit below.

Posted Image

And here we are, on short final and just about to touch down as the sun vacates the horizon.

Well, I hope you all enjoyed your flight, as always feel free to drop comments/criticisms!

Cheers,

Derek

Hey Derek.

Very nice set of pictures, there.

However (and I got the same "problem") for Ex. pic #5 and 6 is bit "silhouettish".

I wold wish there was a program, that could give some spotlight from the photo-

graphers point of view. 8)

Best regards.

Henrik

I really like these shots Derek and really need to pick up that plane eventually. Glad to see your enjoying Radar Contact, I heard great things about it but really think there is a market out there for a developer willing to make a great FSX ATC product. Any other ATC programs for FSX that you recommend?

Thanks all! Glad you liked them, now that I've got my feet firmly on the ground home in Perth for a couple of weeks I hope to get some more regular flying in, so expect more pics!

Hey Derek.

Very nice set of pictures, there.

However (and I got the same "problem") for Ex. pic #5 and 6 is bit "silhouettish".

I wold wish there was a program, that could give some spotlight from the photo-

graphers point of view. 8)

Best regards.

Henrik

That effect is actually deliberate, through use of both ENB and Shade. I like high contrast images and silhouettes like that, and have actually edited the pics to emphasise the effect ;)

I really like these shots Derek and really need to pick up that plane eventually. Glad to see your enjoying Radar Contact, I heard great things about it but really think there is a market out there for a developer willing to make a great FSX ATC product. Any other ATC programs for FSX that you recommend?

Hey Eric, definitely get the PC-12, it's a real beauty. As far as ATC goes, I've only tried Radar Contact to date, I looked into VOX ATC and Aerosoft's product (can't remember what it's called) but they didn't seem to be able to interact with the AI generated by other addons, such as ORBX's AU Traffic. Radar Contact is working just fine for me. I have it installed on my little client PC running via WideFS, with the addon Meatwater voice packs and so far I'm really happy with it.

Cheers,

Derek

Very nice, and I love to see a GA aircraft being featured in SS's, I have grown so sick of seeing the sausage liners, so much so that I don't even open SS threads whose title even hints at it containing the big iron.

Derek said:

That effect is actually deliberate, through use of both ENB and Shade. I like high contrast images and silhouettes like that, and have actually edited the pics to emphasise the effect ;)

Hey Derek.

Sorry if I have affended you (hope not). :(

If the "silouette" was intented, then I can only say...Spot (light)less! :D:P

But I still wish there were a program that could provide a spotlight effect (anywere in the picture).

Maybe a plugin for photoshop. ::)

Best regards

Henrik

Archived