Seabee released

DunRingill

Great aircraft for PNW,and what fun to fly !!!

KC FlightShop Introduces the Republic RC-3 Seabee an all-metal amphibious sports aircraft designed by Percival Spencer in 1944 and the RC-1 made its first flight with Spencer at the controls. By the end of 1944 Republic had received 1,972 civilian orders for the $3,500 airplane. The Navy granted Republic Aviation the rights to use the name Seabee for the civilian version. Today, more than 60 years after production ended, the Seabee is still the most popular amphibian on the used-market…

The KC FlightShop recreates the first production RC-3 Seabee with original equipment as released from the factory for a vintage flight experience, the fully interactive VC uses 3D gauges throughout with every system modeled.

 Features include HD quality textures (2048 x 2048).

 Authentic HQ digital stereo sounds.

 Fully animated pilot

 Kneeboard checklist with performance tables.

 Realistic night lights effect in the virtual cockpit..

 FSX features: external dynamic shadows, internal dynamic shadows on VC,volumetric normal mapping, specular mapping and bloom lights.

 FPS. friendly model

 Interactive virtual cockpit.

 Full moving parts: Ailerons, elevators, rudders, flaps, rolling wheels and trim tab

 Animated Doors

 Lights: Panel Lights, Navigation lights, landing and cabin lights.

 Fully normal mapped interior.

 Compatible with Addon Hardware and Shared Cockpit Functions

 Easy to use paintkit

 Realistic behaviour, pilot tested to match the real airplane.

 Help from many pilot and owners of real Seabee’s for accuracy and authenticity

Visit the KC FlightShop http://www.kcflightshop.com/ for a look at this new release!

For any support, please visit our forums at www.kcflightshop.com/forum/ and register. Its free and automatic!

How's the flight modeling? I love these old classics, and the vc cockpit looks nice, but I've been spoiled and need good flight modeling now as well. :-)

I believe Bert Stolle did the FDE on the SeaBee so that shouldn't be a problem. Every plane that I have where he did the FDE, the flight modeling has been very good!!

Cheers

Martin

It's all in the signature ;)

She even spins like the real one and is the easiest aircraft on take off you can imagine. Just keep her straight, don't touch the yoke and she will take off on her own.

And you can even taxi backwards (although you need a lot of power for that)

Well, just put her through some paces. I like her! Very nice VC cockpit. Good externals from cockpit, and excellent from external view. Very good systems modeling (for the systems there were on this old plane!). Cockpit seem fully clickable. Easy to handle all normal controls with mouse in VC with TrackIR. I somehow managed to turn off the battery and master switch during flight and the flaps wouldn't deploy and I had no radio. Nice. The landing gear still worked, because that's hydraulic, it looks like.

You have modeled torque and p-factor very well. She could use a rudder trim! :-) Even at cruise, she needs a little right rudder. I like that. Rudder might be a bit too sensitive, but I have no experience whatsoever of this actual plane. Keeping her straight on takeoff takes some work, though. The term "rudder dance" certainly applies here. She does lift off by herself. You can feel a nice little break as she both leaves the ground, and flies out of ground effect. Nice. Easy to turn on the water with rudder. I don't know if there's some kind of water rudder that deploys automatically. If not, then it seems a bit unrealistic to be able to turn so easily with rudder pedal inputs alone.

I tried power on and power off stalls. There's not much tendency for a wing to drop. If you hold back stick in power off, she'll mush straight ahead and pretty much nose up, but losing altitude like a brick! Full back stick in a power on stall and she starts flying again by herself and then pitching up for another go at it. I don't know if that's realistic for this plane, but could be. Full rudder in the stall does indeed put her into a nice spin with normal recovery. It felt right to me, and not that many FSX airplanes do. They often feel like you are muscleing them into a spin and it feels a bit weird (well, wrong) in one. This bird throws one wing over, drops her nose, and slips right into a nice twirl. Fun!

The only bug I've noticed so far is upon re-entering the cockpit from external views seems to trigger a cruise rpm sound set regardless of the state of the throttle. Kind of annoying. Full throttle and then off seems to reset it.

The prop pitch knob barely moves rpm. I'm assuming this is correct for the plane. I need to RTFM, of course. I'm guessing there's some kind of interesting dynamic going on with prop pitch.

So, overall from less than an hour of play, I like her a lot. Great visibility! She's not fast, but then, who wants fast over this great scenery?! And now all those little lakes and rivers are accessible with those speed killing floats hanging off the bottom of your C185! :-) And with that boat hull, she just slips into the water without almost no discernable touchdown if you use the proper water landing technique.

I have both of these KFCS planes now. I hope they keep at it. They are doing a very nice job of it.

:-)

Nope. Hope you like it too, though.

And if you're looking for great planes, then my top recommendations would be the Classics Hangar Me-108 Taifun, and the Bay Towers RV-7, which is close to full release version, I hope. That new Aerosoft Wilga is also a quirky and very fun airplane. Lots of nice aircraft out in the last half year or so. Good times!

How have I missed those?!?! Very nice skins, there, Ron. About to grab several of them.

She's a beaut to fly, isn't she?! Perhaps some of the best flight dynamics for mild aerobatics I've seen. Models the second half of the roll very nicely.

I hope you're on commission Griphos 'cos you just made a sale! ::)

Yep, that was enough to convince me, and knowing Bert did the FDE I'm there! Looking forward to flying her! Such a classic for all those seaplane buffs ::)

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

This one is brillant. It's certainly not the "everyones plane", and beeing a Seabee modelled after a vintage fourties plane, it stands out like a lightpost in the dark desert at night. Well done chaps, well done.

After a short trip from Te Anau to Milford i can say that the FDE's are nicely programmed, nothing weird about it. The rudder is sensitive but i lack the experience to judge it. Very well done is the pitch tendency while increasing or decreasing the throttle, due to the high mounted engine. Handling in slow flight is quiet demanding and the sensitive rudder does not help very much, but that is probably a question of the hardware (CH rudder pedals) and its sensitivity settings. I've had that corrected in a second. You might be surprised how much of a short part of a landing strip you have to use to bring the Bee to a halt. But prepare for a much longer part for the take off. The Seabee is not a STOL plane in the meaning of the abbreviation, altough it is a descent backcountry plane, and beeing a amphib makes it even more versatile.

The instrument panel layout is peretty much vintage and therefore minimalistic too. The only thing i miss is a Variometer. In FS you can not feel your ears popping while descending too fast nor can you feel your four letters while levelling out for the touch down. The only thing you can do is to watch the environment propper to judge your approach, but that is good piloting anyway.

Applying bump- and specular maps in the VC was a good decision, it adds for the general good look and feel. I can't stop staring at the instrument panels upper edge with its scratches and dents. I personally would have opted for a little bit more wear and tear in the VC just to depict a sixty year old plane which was (and is) propper maintained but shows the years of usage. Otherwise the exterior shows the right amount of stains you might expect on a older aircraft.

The exterior of the model is very well textured, has a nice shine and sports the right quantity of stains and wear. Bump mapping is IMHO a bit overdone, especially the areas around rivets and panel edges are looking too depressed. But that is "rivet counting", you'll get a very good modelled and painted plane which is accurate to the last screw.

All in all i can say that i spent more bucks for less worthy aircraft. The Seabee is worth every penny if you are fond of vintage, not everydays airplanes. We have tons of Cessnas and Pipers around us, lots of glass cockpits and shiny plastic bombers. This Seabee is a nice addition to my hangar and will be flown often.

Thanks to the KCFS team for the release.

Cheers,

1.Rudder might be a bit too sensitive, but I have no experience whatsoever of this actual plane.

2.I don't know if there's some kind of water rudder that deploys automatically. If not, then it seems a bit unrealistic to be able to turn so easily with rudder pedal inputs alone.

3.The prop pitch knob barely moves rpm.

1.If you look at the size of the rudder and the vertical stabilizer and take into account that both are in the undisturbed slipstream of the prop with no fuselage to interfere, the high sensitiity isn't too surprising.

(Nevertheless it's still it's too weak to handle even a moderate crosswind).

2.There's no invisible water rudder. It's simply connected to the rudder and deflects the same amount.Turning radios matches the one on the various videos on the net.

3. Correct and it's only really noticable at 'cruise' speed. The prop pitch difference between min and max is only 5°.

I wasn't thinking about the pusher config and its impact on the empannage. Makes much more sense now, and a smart design feature, actually. I still need to RTFM. I'm a guy, what can I say?! :-)

So prop pitch is really just set up in this plane to be able to get a little more climb abilty and then move the RPM back to say 2400 at cruise manifold pressures, it seems. Very interesting.

Archived