0S9 performance question...

felixthreeone

Hello all,

Wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me...

I was doing some test flying recently, in different aircraft and to/from different airports in an effort to evaluate my pc's overall ability to fly multiple scenarios and so on. I noticed, in the Carenado T210, the Realair Scout, and the Lioheart Kodiak that frames at my departure airports were very good (1S2, KHQM). But, approaching Jefferson, whether unlimited or locked, my frames take a significant dive...down to 12-14, and the ensuing choppiness makes it tough to control the plane landing with a crosswind. I usually fly test flights with an ORBX weather theme, like #4 or #5. If I start the flight from 0S9, my frames are better, but still on the low side. I am wondering what other people are seeing in terms of performance here, with different aircraft? I do not have every option ticked in the control panel...only a few. Nice scenery, wondering what might be wrong (if anything even is wrong lol) thanks!

Hi Matt, considering your rig I am extremely surprised, to the point that I suspect there is something at play here. The reason why I say this is because I am the first to shout about poor performance, which I experience at Harvey, but the good performance at Jefferson was the first thing I noticed. I admit I have not done much flying from there other than a few quick test flights around the strip. But I can tell you that with more boxes ticked in the CP than at any other Orbx airport, flying in the RealAir Duke, with AG at Dense, in the VC I have been getting framerates around 28, which is great. The real thing I noticed too, was the smoothness, which is really more important. Have you installed the latest libs following installation of Jefferson?

Matt,

I have to say that I'm surprised that you are having performance issues with 0S9, as it is one of the higher performing Orbx airports for me in regards to FPS.

During beta-testing I flew the Carenado C210 from my home airfield, KPWT (Southeast of 0S9), to Jefferson Intl. I too experienced a framerate drop upon 0S9 coming into view, but only of about 3-5 FPS with the full airfield in view.

I would invite you to try and fly a route the other way around, from 0S9 to 1S2 or KHQM and see if you experience the same drop in performance.

Also, have you conducted a good defrag since you installed 0S9?

Yes, Phil...I defrag a couple times a week. I will try it as per your last post, but it seems that even in the default Maule sitting on the active runway at Jefferson with fair weather my frames at unlimited are around 24-27....with frames locked they drop to 18-22. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe time to wipe it all out and start over...

What Control Panel settings are you using?

Also do you have your LOD_Radius any higher than 4.5? If you also own Diamond Point keep in mind 2WA1 and 0S9 are very close together so you may get bleedover from 2WA1 textures, objects, and the like especially approaching from the West.

Hi Matt, it would be good if we could get to the bottom of this for you. First off, I have just done a flight in the RealAir Duke, AG set at dense. In VC taxiing to RWY27 my frames locked at 30 in the VC were 29/30 (probably more if unlimited) sat at the end of the runway ready for take off framerates 27/29, after take off exterior view looking back towards airport same framerates. Then turned 180 back downwind with airport on my right, set frames to unlimited again frames never dropped below 30 in the cockpit and exterior were from 34-40. The lowest they dropped in the VC was coming into land at RWY09 and they went from 24 -29. I have to say, I agree with Phil, 0S9 is one of Orbx's better airports by far when it comes to performance. If you are having general issues with all your scenery then I suggest you post your cfg values and also your FSX slider settings. If it's just a matter of issues at Jefferson then maybe Heiko or Wolter could offer some advice. Just a thought, do you have any other scenery addons for the area other than Orbx?

Thanks for all of the info and help, gentlemen. I went in to the 0S9 control panel and turned down/off pretty much everything, and the performance seems to have improved a little. I will fly a few test flights today and see what I get overall...

The one single thing that has helped me enjoy FSX more, and that's not to have preconceived ideas about what to exspect from a certain addon or scenery. The Orbx scenery control panels are a prime example. My opinion is I'd rather have extra frames than having trees with leaves falling and moving grass! I mean, who looks at the grass and falling leaves when flying ::) So all that has been switched off, along with other things too! Don't get me wrong, I think moving textures and so forth are great and a commendable addition to the airports, BUT if you want improved performance then you have to compromise. In fact I think compromising in FSX is a must if you truly want to enjoy it. I have only recently dropped my framerates to a locked 26 and wow! What a great improvement. This has allowed me to fly in heavy urban areas with AG set at very dense and having spent the past few days tweaking smoothness and blurrries, I can honestly say it has never looked so good. Other compromises I have made are no ground shadows, no bloom, no aircraft shadows, low cloud coverage, no HD clouds in REX plus a load of other things too. If you look at my sig my rig is virtually identical to yours, but sure, I make compromises because I believe I have made those compromises in areas of little impact, but the gain I have discovered is far greater ;)

Hey guys, just saw this thread but not sure how much input I can give at this point. I have an older system and the single biggest hit for me is the higher-level grass, which is why I added 4 different grass level options to the 0S9 CP. I'll keep thinking about this one though, and see what I can come up with.

Cheers,

Scott

Archived