FTX Day/Night Question [McAfee False Positive Again!]

ba43

I have lost the ability to work FTX Day/Night. Ever since NZSI installation, there is a pop up from my McAfee Total Protection that says a Trojan was found and deleted. Two times this happened, Artemis something both times and it said they were included with FTX Day and FTX Night.

I had FTX day selected last time it worked, but now I can't switch to night and there are no lights in the cities when I fly around.

Any advice on this?

Thanks,

Brad

Hi Brad,

The FTX Day/Night application is an executable file (.exe) which swaps between the two versions of Miscelleneous_lib_orbx.bgl found in FSX/Scenery/global/scenery

Seems some antivirus programs do not like .exe's running, I'll ask John if we can provide a manual solution

Cheers

Tim

Yes, I need a manual solution I guess. I'm not even able to find FTXLights_Night.exe on my system anymore. The shortcuts are on the desktop but they don't have the FTX Graphics anymore. If I click on them, they bring up a small window. "Missing Shortcut". I have re-installed the program for the FTX Day Night switcher but keep getting that McAfee "Trojan Found" and removed pop up. So, right now, I'm unable to fly in ORBX scenery at night. There are no lights anymore. :-[

Thanks for any help.

Brad

Simplest workaround (for now)

Disable McAfee

Run the Day/Night installer

Switch

+/- Reactivate McAfee (Personally, I'd replace this last step with "Uninstall McAfee, and replace with !avast, or similar")

Did I tell you about the time AVG decided iTunes was a Trojan? That would have caused wordwide havoc!

Ian,

I took your advice and removed McAfee Total Protection completely from my system. Bought Avast! and so far the FTX Day Night Switcher is back in business! Now need to make sure the new antivirus program will keep me safe. Looks good so far.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Brad,

regardless of the Antivirus program in use it's always a good idea to exclude the FSX folder tree from getting scanned unless you force it to. In Avast you can set up file/folder Exclusions in the main Settings menu but you also need to separately set those same Exclusions in the Real Time Shields > File System Shields > Expert Settings > Exclusions menu to prevent Avast from scanning FSX files every time you load and run the sim.

Cheers, Holger

Archived