Lost traffictoolbox, visualeffect.dll, ObjectPlacer etc

John Ross

Here is one that has me stumped. Although my dll.xml seems in order (below) and the SDK resides at the address shown in the dll I just cannot get any of the SDK addon .dll's to show in my sim. Now this has become a nuisance because I am doing some work in the visual effects area and traffic. It happened after my computer blew some time ago and during the upgrade the "C" drive was ghosted over to another drive which became the "C" drive. I have FSX installed on this drive and the SDK.

Any ideas - I have tried most things including putting the paths back to relative addresses (I changed them to point directly to the SDK hoping it would solve the problem). It is only the .dll's in the SDK which do not work other modules called by the dll.xml do work - such as IS Demo, AFX etc

John

copy of dll.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">

<Descr>Launch</Descr>

<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Instant Scenery</Name>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>C:\Program Files\Instant Scenery Demo\InstantSceneryFSX.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>AFXModule</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files\AFX\AFXModuleFSX.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>

<Disabled>false</Disabled>

<Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>

<Disabled>false</Disabled>

<Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FSWidgets Slew Assist Launcher</Name>

<Path>Modules\FSWidgets\SlewAssist\FSWSlewAssistLauncher.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>

<Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FSWidgets EFBFSX</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSWidgets\EFBFSX\EFBFSX>dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

Hi John,

maybe a silly question but what's the location (file path) of that dll.xml? Should be the same folder a the active fsx.cfg file. I once managed to edit a copy of dll.xml in the wrong location till I was blue in the face  :-[

Also, have you tried the automatic config tool, ConfigSDK.exe?

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger and Ed

The location of the dll.xml is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX which is the same as fsx.cfg.

The trusted section actually has multiple traffictoolbox and visualeffects entries all set at one. Not sure why that should be??

I had not thought of the configSDK tool because I have never had any problems - but now have run it a sadly still nothing showing in the addon menu area. Grrr.

Short of reinstalling the whole shooting match (no,no and no) I seem to be running out of options.

What would happen if I deleted the whole of the trusted section in the fsx.cfg, deleted everything out of the dll.xml that does not work just leaving the working modules. Then start again. Good idea or bad idea?

John

Deleting the trusted entries would be OK because FSX would ask you to trust them again when it's restarted. Not too sure about deleting them in the dll.xml file though. My dll.xml & fsx.cfg is under my user name folder and not the administrator folder (i use xp pro). Would that be it?

Ed

Hello Ed

Probably not because it has always been there and before the rebuild it worked perfectly. I just cannot bear the thought of a reinstall so looks like I do without the goodies unless a certain gentleman from the Netherlands has some last minute suggestions :'(

John

Hi John

Re-read your post regarding multiple entries of the dll's in your trusted section. I assume you mean you have more than one of visualfx, traffictool & objectplacement each? I would be tempted to delete all those entries first to see if that works.

Ed

Tried that ed. Even though the dll.xml is calling the SDK dll's  the sim does not even ask about if they are trustworthy - just ignores them basically. I might try relocating the SDK dll's and put in a new absolute address pointing to them in the dll.xml.

John

Archived