Forgive me brothers for I have shopped...

Bandit

After buying my new GTX590 and finding out that my poor old Asus Strike Extreme & Core 2 Duo E8500 wasnt able to keep up (suprise, suprise!!) I just HAD to go and update my rig so I went shopping today and this is what I ended up with:

• P8Z68 Deluxe\Gen3
  • Intel Core i7 2700K
  • Corsair Vengance 2 x CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B RAM (total 16GB)
  • Corsair H80 liquid CPU cooler
Ill throw in my GB GTX590 and some SATA HDD and should have my rig built next week. Guess I have my Christmas\New Year break sorted!

I did toy with getting the G.Skill Ripjaw F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL but will settle with the Corsair - after all with the H80 liquid cooler I shouldnt have a problem with clearance of the cooler block impinging on the over the taller Corsair RAM.

All I need to do know is decide what hard drive config to put in. I am tempted to go for two SATA drives - one dedicated for FSX.

Any comments, suggestions most welcome.

I am jealous, that is really a nice system. I can highly recommend the WD Black edition 7200 rpm with 64 MB cache. They run like a charm and are very stable, only problem is the price. It has tripled since the flooding in Bangkok earlier in the Fall.

...and I just got me a GTX580 and I72600K. Looks like you you beat me by one notch !!

I tell ya Mark I had a similar system to your old one too. You will be amazed at the difference...smooth flying and the increased detail coming out of the scenery , its just great.

The problem I am having now is deciding what drive to put in this little beast. I am tempted to put an SSD in for the boot drive (win7 64bit) and a a second SSD for FSX or a 150 or 300G Velociraptor. Trouble with the 'raptors is they are dam hard to find especially given that Western Digitals factory in Thailand was flooded recently (as Mike pointed out) halting production leaving a bit of a shortage!!

Thoughts gents? SSD all the way? Sizes?? Raptor(s)??

If money is no option, go SSD for both (or REVO Drive) as this will produce the fastest load times. If restricted by a budget, Velociraptor is your next best option, although actual in-game performance will not be affected whether you buy Velociraptor, SSD or REVO drive givenm your system in general will be running at Ferrari speeds - only load times are different.

I believe you CANNOT boot from a PCI RevoDrive, use a regular drive for your OS and an SSD for your FSX and Divorce all your regular programing AND user files WAY out of C:\

If your migrating your existing Drives to your New PC then just move them and reboot allowing Winblows to reset.

OK well I fear I must stay out of computer hardware stores - its bad for my bank balance!! ::) If I dont place all the receipts for the various components together maybe it wont hurt as much??

I ended up with 2 Crucial M4 256GB SSDs and a WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD. I will place Win7 64B Ultimate on one SSD and FSX, Orbx, Rex et al on the other. The 2TB will be for data and other applications. I hope to post some pic of the build once complete and maybe some performance stats. I cant wait to see how this puppy will run.

I must work out how to mount these SSDs though - my CoolerMaster Stacker 830 case only has 3.5" bays.

Cant say I al looking forward to reloading all the FS pieces though :-[ - I must dig out your list of install steps for FSX, Geo data, Orbx & Rex you posted Wolter!

Nice system, although I must admit that your topic line caught my attention more - very creative!

Thanks Dean.

I do find it necessary to "confess" and seek forgiveness when I spend that much on hardware. :unsure:

So far in testing my CPU temp hasnt gone above 36C :D - may be I need to push it a little harder >:D

Well I am up and running FTX AU SP4 is installed with YPMQ and REX 2.0 + OD and here is a very quick snapshot of the results.

Posted Image

Thanks all especially Wolter & Emmsie for your help & advice.

The CPUS temspa re still below 43C 8)

The only issue I seem to be facing now is some stuttering and white blocks (textures??) after about 10 mins or so of flying. That and the fact that my GTX590 is running as hot as hell 92C (5C off thermal shutdown!!! )

Archived