NZSI The Wild West (and WET) Coast

CathyH

Posted Image

Climbing out of Hokitika, real world weather, It rains 300 or more days on the Coast

Posted Image

Enroute Greymouth, the detail is amazing

Posted Image

Looking toward my Birthplace, Cobden. I was bought home there from the hospital in 1955. Dad built the house in 1947 when he was demobbed.

The beach ahead was the scene of a tragedy in 1937 involving y mother. There arte few safe beaches on the Coast for swimming, But Cobden beach was supposed to be one. Mum and four schollfriends were swimming and were caught in a rip. Mum got one girl to shore, and tried to get another but could not. Two bodies were never recovered. She was 14.

Posted Image

My Mum's Birthplace, Runanga

Posted Image

Overhead Greymouth, probably the most dangerous port in the country Over 100 shiowrecks since the 1800's the latest a fshing boat a couple of years ago

Posted Image

On finals

Posted Image

Clear of the runway. The hill behind the plane is called "Darkie's Terrace" It was named for a former Black slave who accompanied his ex-master and family out to the Coast from the ruins of mthe Confederacy

(there was a large expat. Confederate population including my Maternal Grandfather, that's whye we have a Shenandoah Valley and Rappahonnock River) He worklede a small gold claim up on the Terrace and drank at the local pub. The carpark mof which was once the site of my Father's boyhood home

You have no idea. It has changed a lot though. I left the Coast at age two in 1957, when we moved to Picton, where Mum and dad took over the London Quay Milkbar which we had foir 5 years. We alkways holidayed back on the Coast till I was grown, and I still have family there, although distant.

I recall it as one of the last strongholds of steam locomotives. We used to stay in a house at Blaketown right next to the airport. I recall first sitting in the cockpit of a plane there when I was four, it was an old Dehavilland DH4!

Cathy I know all of this for real, over a childhood (my grandfather was an underground mine manager in Reefton, my best friend was from Ross, my wife from Goldsborough) but these are great shots. And yes the West Coast with its pounding onshore seas was a wreck coasst extraordinaire. It's somewhat ironic that modern RNAV makes arriving on the Coast safer than ships - for which it was Hell incarnate.

Absolutely great photos, but I do hope that all of those using this scenery use it with real weather, at least some of the time.. These differences are real, strong and valid and need to be experienced to understand.

You may still be able to see the remain sm of several shipwrecks. There is a steel sternpost on Blaketown beach froma steamer wrecked in the 1890's. The remains of the boilers of the ABEL TASMAN were vsible on Cobden Beach (Dad saw her go ashore in a flood in the 1930's), and the boliers of the KAPONGA were visible on a small beach just inside the river

Archived