pacific nw trees all green in fall

sleightflight

HI , I recently installed all the freeware airfields for pacific nw & although the boxes are ticked for season of fall & the fsx software is set to fall, the trees that were once a loveley golden brown have all gone green.

I have tried going back to default fsx & then re activating pacific nw but still the trees are green.

I only got this payware scenery a couple of weeks back & had a few install problems but we sorted them out , so I don't know what to try next to get the season right again.

Thanks.

Hi there,

it could just be that you're not actually selecting the month that shows fall textures at your location. The "season selector" in FSX is misleading because seasons in FSX are actually defined on a monthly basis and our custom seasons files make full use of the spatial and temporal resolution possible.

For more information and an animated gif of the seasonal changes in PNW see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/18695-pnw-textures/page__p__162697__hl__+seasons%20+holger__fromsearch__1#entry162697

Cheers, Holger

Hi , ok you had me doubting myself so I launched fsx & checked time & dates etc , I always fly on current date settings only sometimes change from night to day for some nice vfr flying. The dates I have been flying while looking for amber trees is all in the month of December.

Forgive me ( for I live in the "other" hemisphere!)

Is Fall generally considered to be September, October, November ?

As per Holger's post, it not only depends WHEN you are flying, but also WHERE .. as the textures change on a monthly basis but this differs in different regions (and even over small areas)

FSX doesn't ease you into seasonal changes ... so there is a hard cut-off that determines the demarcation of each season (rather than blending Fall to Winter, for example)

To better sort it out, perhaps knowing where you are, and what date you have set (and perhaps a screenshot?) may clear things up.

I am flying in the pacific nw area on the current date & time, I had fall trees last week but after install of the free airports for the area now I dont, I am fairly confident that all of that area should be displaying fall as its quite far north, I live in the uk so I couldnt say wether or not it should be fall there but it was last week when flying in this area & if anything the trees are not going back to being green in December.

I am sure its something to do with the new airfields.thanks.

Hi sleightflight,

if you look at the animated map in the link I posted you'll see that in December all of PNW is either showing winter or hard winter, the difference beeing no snow or snow on the ground and trees. The deciduous autogen trees, mostly in and near cities, should show bare branches but the large majority of trees in the PNW are conifers that remain green year round.

Still, if you believe something's wrong please post a couple of representative screenshots. Instructions for doing so can be found here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Cheers, Holger

Having lived in other parts of the US where winter was bleak and gray, I'm continually surprised at how green the PNW is in the cold months. Part of it is that the temps in lower-lying areas seldom stay cold enough to make grasses go dormant. Plus, there's a lot of rain in winter here, which keeps things growing. And, as Holger said, the predominant tree outside of urban areas is the conifer. It all adds up to very subtle shifts in winter color, except in higher elevations where there's snow.

Yeah, I've been flying in the area all fall and have enjoyed the fall trees. But the leaves of those deciduous trees have all dropped now. :-) That leaves only the evergreens showing, all deep green all year round. I've been deeply impressed by the way the fall color moved in gradually in the high country and then crept down into the valleys and lowlands, and then died off. Very nice work, guys!

Ok , yes I get the picture now thanks to that animated map , maybe when I flew & had golden trees was the back end of the fall season & now we are in full winter, I will try flying on the same time/ date stamp as when I first installed & see if I get what I am looking for , I will post my results here, it looks like it maybe user error.thanks.

Archived