PNW Textures

Naji

I used to fly exclusively with spring textures. So nice they are! But now I'm loving the soft winter textures. Their dark mood with the bare trees is very charming. Is anyone flying that season by preference?

Hi Naji and Nyxx

Me too.  I never jump the seasons.  It keeps sim flying interesting especially if you fly in real world weather - or not - if its unsuitable.  The way FSX weather interprets REX never fails to amaze and delight me. ;D  It seems so very accurate.

I'm waiting for the patch before I fly in PNW again.  Get that and I feel I'll be able to really do some flights rather than just picking a spot and flying around it.  You know what I mean?

All the best

John

Hi Patrick

Well, for one thing I do have plenty of other new scenery to explore apart from PNW.  For example the new quite good GEX/UTX Europe and North America, GEX Alaska, and also nearer to home the Scilly Isles just released by Earth Simulations and the revamped Alderney.  In addition I have yet to complete my east to west transverse of Australia.

So, there's plenty to do.

The second thing is, I like to have the facility, even if I don't always use them of ILS landings which at the moment are not possible.  So for the time being, I can do without PNW until the patch is released.

Well, you did ask! ::);D

John

Guest simtechdave

I fly mostly summer textures for now... sometimes spring.  The reason being, if I have  any issue with PNW textures, is that we rarely have snow on the ground here in the PNW and the spring textures show too much snow to be realistic.  I live 40 miles south of Seattle by the way.  While the lowlands do occasionally get snow it's usually gone in 24 - 48 hours.  The Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges have snow year round.... in the winter I would say the snow level is 3000 - 4000 feet.  Obviously in places like Darrington, in the mountain valleys, there is more snow, but the Key Pennisula and the I-5 corridor between Vancouver BC and Portland Oregon have snow coverage maybe twice, sometimes three times a year and lasting only a day or so.  There is a weather convergence zone, usually in a line from just north of Bremerton running NE towards Everett, where snow fall and coverage is more likely.

So in my opinion, to be realistic I use summer textures in spring south of Everett, Wa.

Cheers

Dave..... living in the great PNW and loving Orbx  ;D

Hi guys,

interesting discussion!

One thing to keep in mind about our seasons files is that the season you select in the sim doesn't necessarily translate into what seasonal variants you'll see on the ground. That's because the spatial distribution of the seasons is determined on a monthly basis and also for each ground texture tile (approx 1.5 sq km) separately. Moreover, we use elevation bands and latitude to alter the onset and lengths of the seasons just like it happens in the real world. Thus, every month within PNW looks different from the next! You can easily check this yourself by positioning yourself in a mountainous area, say above Port Angeles facing south towards the Olympics, and then cycling through the twelve months taking a screenshot each time.

I tried to explain the complexity of our seasons file in the last FSBreak interview but perhaps a visual guide is more helpful. So here's an animated gif of the twelve months in the PNW area. Blue is ocean to give you a visual reference, the actual seasons are: white=hard winter, grey=winter, yellow=spring, green=summer, and red=fall. I've also attached the same file in a zip; to get it animated you need to load it into IE or Firefox.

FTX_PNW_seasons_animated.thumb.gif.a82c6fc799108125366a76a42be6ebf4.gif

Cheers, Holger

FTX_PNW_seasons_animated.zip

Guest Northwest Pilot

I enjoy using the Spring textures but depending on the area, I usually bump the Month up to April. I feel this is more of an accurate representation of the Portland Metro area and Surrounding Areas.

Great info Holger... exellent support direct from the guys that brought us this most amazing add on!

Think i'll just be patient and wait for the seasons to change, each month, a new PNW!..... but looking forward to the colours in the Fall  :P

• 5 years later...

Archived