Aivlasoft EFB

petehowell57

Hi folks. Just for info: Aivlasoft have their amazing Electronic Flight Bag software on sale from 3rd to 31st December at 25% reduction. Have only tried the demo so far and am hoping Santa will be kind to me and purchase the activation key lol.

It blends perfectly with the ORBZ airports and increases the immersion factor.

Best wishes

Pete

Hi. Interesting. I'll have a look at that. I liked the Aivlasoft version cus it seems to have everything "included". Am I right in thinking you have to download your own charts with the FSWidgets version. Are those the Simplates X you refer to/

pete

I own both and they are both very different products.

FSWidgets EFB http://www.avsim.com/pages/0808/FSWidgets/EFBX.htm

• Moving Map display of Sectional, Enroute, Google Maps type maps (purchasable separately or you can import your own).
  • Can display weather station information and airport, NDB, VOR information if purchased separately
  • Vector Moving Map that displays FSX data (comparable to A2A style navigation maps included with the Cub and Spitfire).
  • Can import FSX flightplan
  • Capable of displaying PDFs such as manuals and checklists
  • NO route finding or route creation

Aivlasoft EFB http://www.avsim.com/pages/1111/Aivlasoft/EFB.html

• Self generated maps and charts based on route to include routing on self-generated airport maps.
  • Generates Airport Charts, Approach Charts, Enroute Charts and overlays route on them.
  • Ability to click on displayed frequency and have it automatically entered into COM/NAV of user's aircraft
  • Route finding and automatic or manual route generation
  • Save generated flight plan as either FSX Flight Plan or compatible flightplan for users aircraft

Really these are two very different products for two very different users and purposes. Basically, the FSWidgets EFB is a moving map display with the ability to overlay an FSX flight plan and display PDFs. It's very handy and I use the iGmap version of it on my tablet when flying VFR. The Aivlasoft EFB is more of a full featured route generator and moving map for mostly IFR and/or Heavies flying. Between the two Aivlasoft's EFB blows away the FSWidget's EFB in terms of capability and versatility.

Ah just googled the info. I now understand . Well Aivlasoft EFB is selling at about 36 GBP at the moment and it includes a free Navigraph package so I reckon that's good value for money. I'm sure both of these products work well. Aivlasoft offer a 30 day fully working demo. Combined with the awesome ORBX scenery/airports software FSX is becoming better and better.

Pete

Edit: Just caught your post Phil as I posted this one lol. Useful info thank you. I think I'll stick with Aivlasoft.

The Aivlasoft certainly does look interesting, and a 25% discount is not to be sniffed at. With a 30 day free trial, i think I'm going to have to have a look at this for the NGX flights. I'm still very happy with Plan G for low and slow VFR flights though.

Cheers

Jack

For those not using a tablet yet, NAVMONSTER http://www.navmonster.com/ Will make PDF based Trip Kits that include your departure and approach plates. www.Fltplan.com makes routes or lets you select from routes recently filed. If you make an account (free) you can select plane templates so that the resulting NAVLOG will have pertinent speed and ETE's between waypoints. The coolest part is that it shows you recently assigned routes from ATC on those flights for those planes as well. Great stuff for a laptop EFB solution next to you.

These other products are cool for sure though especially for the 10" Tablet crowd. I dont have my tablet till Santa gets here. :( But then I will look at these products again!

Charles.

I've been using the Aivlasoft EFB on a second PC next to my main one for about a year now. I can't give it a big enough thumbs up, it just works brilliantly. I use EFB for all my IFR planning, and PlanG for my VFR flights. If you've ever been tempted, take advantage of the sale, you won't regret it.

For those not using a tablet yet, NAVMONSTER http://www.navmonster.com/ Will make PDF based Trip Kits that include your departure and approach plates. www.Fltplan.com makes routes or lets you select from routes recently filed. If you make an account (free) you can select plane templates so that the resulting NAVLOG will have pertinent speed and ETE's between waypoints. The coolest part is that it shows you recently assigned routes from ATC on those flights for those planes as well. Great stuff for a laptop EFB solution next to you.

These other products are cool for sure though especially for the 10" Tablet crowd. I dont have my tablet till Santa gets here. :( But then I will look at these products again!

Charles.

The problem with sites like NavMonster is that they only work for North America... and may not work for long if the authorities begin charging for online access to sectionals, as is the current plan.

Cheers,

Derek

Phil: an excellent summary, and, yes one of the great Avlasoft benefits is the fact that it draws a custom arrival, approach and aerodrome charts.

I guess like others the reality is I have invested a lot in the Navigraph and nDac product so to repeat that with Efb is not on.

Also the SimPlates X disc is a world-wide resource of charts but now no longer supported. It is still good practice to fly a STAR, then an approach accurately even if the plates are out of date. And it saves me the cost of always buying charts. I have up to date charts for Aus & frequent destinations o/s but I dont bother with random ports.

I run a third screen off a second video card and have FaWidgetsEFB and nDac. And I run SimplatesX on a standalone net book so the plates stand proud as for a pilot flying an approach in the RW.

Air Display worked well for me when I had two monitors and one videocard. Now that I have two videocards and the third monitor running from the second card, then for some reason Air Display has gone cold on me. Because I wanted to run the CDU on a touchscreen I could lie at an angle that worked for me.

ps Pasterke: does your avatar and username reflect your profession?

ps Pasterke: does your avatar and username reflect your profession?

No, it's just a joke : at the time I started using flightsim and game forums I had to create a username and was just coming home from a trip with my bicycle :

the pub I came from was called "'t pastershoekske" : it is a pub (tearoom/restaurant) just next to an old parsonage and that in relation with an old tv series "wij heren van zichem" where one of the caracters was an old little priest I called myself pasterke (old little priest) (I'm old but not little :lol: )

Posted Image

I'm lucky enough to have a laptop next to and networked to my main fsx pc. I use Plan G and the aivlasoft demo on the laptop . Works really well.

Pete

Ya I have a laptop next to my computer as well. However the Yoke and Throttles and all the other bits are kind of in the way and I would like to simulate having the Electronic Flight Bag Tablet I see pilots pulling out when I fly with them. It's kind of cool that way. Especially for briefing an approach. I just find the pinch zoom of the tablet and the swipe gesture for changing pages so cool. It's nice to have the checklist in this form as well and then be able to go back and fourth. No more paper and no reaching for my keyboard. I can aviate with a tablet on my lap or propped up in front of me on the screen. Although the laptop is tops for Plan-G moving map for sure. I sure wish Plan-G came out with a Sectional Layer like FSMAP.

C.

The notion of using a tablet as per "real life" sounds great but I think Santa may not be able to be quite so generous this year !!! My laptop is sitting on top of my printer so is easily seen above the other bits and pieces on my desk. Also my son has just "passed down" his old but working X 52 pro joystick to me. The ability to control the radio stack from its MFD is cool !

pete

Archived