Ok FSX... Is it snowing or isn't it?!

Rob Newman

Caught this oddly cool but very bizzare effect earlier today... It was physically snowing around the airplane the whole time, but for some odd reason, some of the ground textures were snow free (from the coast up to the point you can see), and yet others were "hard winterized" (all the way inland from there)!

Any clues as to what's going on here?! The location by the way is just east of Skagit...

(And yes... I know... Shame on me for flying a Tiggie in such bad conditions!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is defently FSX related and not ORBX. I get this problem EVERYWHERE in the Fall and Spring and sometimes in the Winter depending on where I'm at. The other day I left ORD for LAX and my textures started changing on Departure...a real piss-off indeed but I don't think there is a "fix" and you'll certainly get this in FTX, GEX or any other texture addon scenery. Hopefully, somebody out there has a "fix" or at least a way of making it NOT do that and if so I'd like to hear about it!

Hi guys,

FSX will dynamically switch all ground textures to their hard winter (= with snow) variant when it encounters weather with active snowfall. It's hard-wired into the sim and nothing can be done about it other than picking a season that shows snow on the ground already or avoiding such weather situations/themes.

Cheers, Holger

It was actually real world weather via the REX 2 Wx engine... and the odd thing is it was physically snowing for almost the entire time I was flying... all the way from Friday Harbor, past anacortes to Skagit... Just past Friday, I saw one small island that was snow covered but the rest of the land textures were just plain, not-snowy winter. The normal textures were in effect all the way to about 5 miles past Skagit, and that's where the demarcation happened.

Could it possibly be that when the sim first loaded, the weather was set to "clear", so the normal textures loaded into memory as far as just east of Skagit, (does FSX load a max radius of textures on first load?) then after the snow started once REX caught up (about 30 seconds after the flight started), all subsequent texture tiles that were loaded (as I flew east) were hard winter? That would make sense I guess...

Either way, it was an interesting effect!

Hi Rob,

actually, you can check how the sim flips the textures near the user aircraft by going into Slew Mode or Pause, switching to top-down view, and then zooming far out. You should see the gradual changing of tiles to white.

The idea behind this is quite clever. Unfortunately, due to the way FSX loads texture tiles into memory one ends up with those blocky transitions, at least temporarily.

Cheers, Holger

Archived