Need help with new plane purchase

brett2634

I have recently upgraded my FSX machine and purchased CRM. Now, I need a new aircraft to enjoy this scenery and get in and out of a few tight spaces.

I have the Carenado 185 bush version, which would be the ideal plane that I'm looking for, but I just can't get used to the taildragger. I think in real life it would be no problem, but I think I would need track Ir to enjoy flying the taildragger in the sim. Also, all of my real world flying was in a 150, so all I really know is tricycle gear with the few exceptions of riding in a Champ.

I believe that I've narrowed my choice down to a couple of planes:

1. The Carenado 182 - I've read that this is somewhat outdated now, but ORBX does offer a HD VC.

2. The Carenado 210 - I like the cruise speed this offers, however, I've never liked the looks of this thing without struts (just doesn't seem right) and the gear is not ideal for bush flying in real life (or so I've read).

BTW - I'm partial to high wing aircraft for looking at ORBX scenery and am looking for something that is good for x-country as well as getting into a grass strip every now and then.

Any and all opinions welcomed!

Hope this is posted in the right place.

You are correct about the 182 being a bit outdated however it also happens to be the best Carenado aircraft on FPS performance. In my POV it is a must have. Great performance as an aircraft as well. I think it only sells for around $20 now so that is a great price for what you get. Whenever I get new scenery or crank the sliders I always use the C182 for my test flights as it's performance is great.

The 210 is a better model but slightly heavier on the FPS and more expensive.

Me says the 182 is a question of the actual price you get. It's outdated on all the optical aspects in regard to more recent releases and it also has the old school FDE from Carenado on board, with no free tweaks I know of.

A modern equipped C182T comes from Flight1. Not that cheap, but well made.

The 210 is a current thing, there's no doubt. I also think that a free FDE refinement is on the way for her.

I may add the C208, also from Carenado. Way bigger, but still a nice experience on small strips. Free FDE mod available.

I also use the Aerosoft Twin Otter for all the STOL stuff, but that one is even bigger of course.

The last two ones are mainly named because you can fly them to any remote strip in my eyes. The rather powerful engines and the prop reverse give you a ton of STOL abilities, so their actual size may mislead the view on them a bit.

So if you want to avoid any taildragger planes, maybe they are a tip.

I still take some of those planes in and out of the bush. Right now I am really enjoying the C337H Skymaster. That one is perfect for cruising around the Fjords and in Australia. It is a fairly short takeoff distance as well due to its power from 2 engines. It will also get you up to high altitudes in a hurry if you need to clear some of those mountain peaks

Cheers :D 

Very true. The C337 is the most fun plane from Carenado so far and is able to do a lot of short field stuff.

Current gauge tech, RXP integration and also a nice FDE plus great sounds. Well spend money in my eyes. Fully agreed with Matthew.

Check out OZx to get cool liveries for her.

If you fancy a twin, take a look at the FSD Navajo, now that's one pretty aircraft. Teecee.

Not at this moment. I do plan on purchasing a nice twin in the future. It seems that the Turbine Duke is the way to go. Also, I hope to purchase the BN-2 Islander after reading the many reviews.

However, right now, I'm basically looking for the equivalent of a 185 with tri-gear set-up. The 182 would be the obvious choice, but don't want to spend $ on something that is too outdated. I looked at the 182T from flight1, but I prefer the old gauges over the glass.

I guess I'll either go for the Carenado 182 RG and new panel from ORBX or learn to love the gigantic tundra tires and trying to flare in fsx with a taildragger in the 185.

Thanks for the input guys!

I wonder if the Aerosoft Katana would have been an option too, brett. If you remove her wheel fairings she's quite capable of rougher terrain and her speeds allow very short rw distances.

Also, you'll get some challenging maintenance simulation with her, so e. g. your brakes wear out or your engine reacts to the oil in use. Pretty unique and not to be missed.

The price is nice too and the gauges are still done in the classic way, while you may use a GPS or replace it with an inop unit to be totally classic.

Optics and sounds are a benchmark, even exceeding other very good GA releases. The fps didn't show much impact here, only the memory load is higher than on other GA planes. But you will be amazed about the system details on such a simple bird like the DA-20.

I've explored quite some Orbx areas with her and only damaged my prop once. :-Here are some shots if you like.

I didn't like the Twotter because I found the guages difficult to read unless I looked real close to the screen, disorienting.

I bought the BN-2 Islander and I like that better for short hops but I don't like the KLN 90 GPS, it is real old school and I find it a difficult GPS to get used to.

I would suggest the high wing Cessnas, there are a lot to choose from and great for sight seeing the Orbx scenery.

I fly a Cessna Skylane 182T with NAV111. Takeoff of about 1500 feet and landing 1400 feet. It'll do about 150 with a range of about 900 miles.

I may buy it for the sim from Flight 1 because it would be interesting in the sim with the new Garmin G1000 glass cockpit.

I have done the same thing when I bought different areas I had to have a new airplane. The BN-2 Islander is great plane for the short fields but for the nook and crannies of CRM I would either go for the either of two Cessna's the 337 or the the 185 Amphib/Bush which is fun to fly into the valleys. Just my thoughts.

Have a look at the Quest Kodiak. Various versions are available including floats and it'll get you in and out of practically anywhere, do up to about 180 kts, and will land at less than 60. Very nice to fly and fully equipped with all the instruments you need. Its also very easy on the frame rates. I fly it a lot. The only downside is there doesn't seem to be much choice in alternative liveries.

John

I agree with CoolP, the Katana would be OK, but my experience is that I find her under powered for flying in the thinner air around the Rockies. I love the Carenado grand caravan, not perhaps a bush machine, but nevertheless a very versatile bit if kit. You can drop this bird like a stone out of the sky and once down bang on the reverses and stop on a sixpence! All in all, my fave GA of all is the Realair Duke, I can't get enough of flying her. A really beautifully modelled plane.

I agree with John that the Quest Kodiak is an excellent choice for bush flying but I actually prefer flying the Carenado Caravan.

I would like to suggest that you not give up on the Cessna 185F for bush flying. It is my first choice for flying into short tricky bush strips. Flying a tail dragger does take some practice but it is worth the effort.

I dont understand the issue with taildraggers TBH.....not had one problem since I got the C185. Sure its different, but you just have to remember that as you land!

Its a great aircraft though.....well worth mastering and it goes so well with PNW/PFJ etc.....

210 is great as well. Seems like the gear can handle most rough strips without issue. I asked the same question on here or Avsim, cant quite remember, but a real 210 pilot from South Africa shared several pics of the aircraft landing on rough dirt strips. No problem apparently......

If you go with a Carenado 182, go with the 182Q. I have both the RG and the Q varient and in my opinion, the VC in the Q is a little bit better. I also love the deep throaty sounds of the 182Q. One more thing, it also comes with a long range model for those cross country flights.

I haven't flown it since I've purchased the T210. Personally I think that the 210 is a blast to fly and looks sweet without the wing struts.

Well, I purchased the 182RG yesterday. Now I'm wishing that I wouldn't have. The model is a bit outdated and the sound is not the greatest (not on par with the 185). I guess I'll just have to learn to fly the 185 for now until I can save up for the 210.

As far as not liking the tail-dragger, for me it is hard to flare or get the feel on flare that you are just about to touchdown in the sim. I think it would be different if I had track Ir so I could quickly change view points.

Thanks for all the help and suggestion guys. I'll have to try some of the other planes you all mentioned.

BTW - CRM is great! I think the ORBX default strips have really improved from PNW, which aren't bad, just better in CRM.

Sad to hear that you are not happy with the new purchase. :-

However, if you go C185 now, there's a FDE mod out from Bernt Stolle. I don't if it will be easier for you with that one, but you at least gain an accurate behaviour of the plane since his input came from rw pilots.

It is called ultimate_185 mod and seems to differ from the optional patch Carenado offers on their page.

Have a look at the Quest Kodiak. Various versions are available including floats and it'll get you in and out of practically anywhere, do up to about 180 kts, and will land at less than 60. Very nice to fly and fully equipped with all the instruments you need. Its also very easy on the frame rates. I fly it a lot. The only downside is there doesn't seem to be much choice in alternative liveries.

John

I also really like the Quest Kodiak, it's a real interesting combo for a bush plane with lots of power and modern instruments, and there are some really nice repaints for it from BananaBob uploaded with permission at SimOutHouse, definitely recommended.

I'm interested in those repaints you mention kludger and have looked for BananaBob on the web without success.

Could you be kind enough to tell me how to get to the website for him please?

John

Sure John, I searched for these BananaBob Quest Kodiak repaints for a long time too, they were not available online for a period due to some issues BananaBob ran into but then he gave permission for someone to re-upload them to SOH, hopefully he is doing well and thankfully they are available again for us to enjoy.

You can find them by going to SOH and searching for 'kodiak' here:

http://www.sim-outho...p?action=search

I hope that helps, thanks again to BananaBob for the repaints and Overshoe and SOH for the upload with permission.

Cheers.

Also just to keep this ORBX related here is the beauty leaving KBVS Skagit recently for another bush run:

Posted Image

Sad to hear that you are not happy with the new purchase. :-

However, if you go C185 now, there's a FDE mod out from Bernt Stolle. I don't if it will be easier for you with that one, but you at least gain an accurate behaviour of the plane since his input came from rw pilots.

It is called ultimate_185 mod and seems to differ from the optional patch Carenado offers on their page.

Where is this 'ultimate_185' mod?

The only one I have is the optional one from Bernt on the Carenado page.

Sorry to hear your not happy....It is a bit dated but that is what I like about it. It is the best performing Carenado aircaft on FrameRates. Stick the ORBX textures on it and that makes a difference.

I usually fly this aircraft with the autogen sliders up a bit. If you are up in the Fjords you can fly it with autogen maxed out and get great performance.

Cheers :D

You don't need much flare at all.....maybe that is part of your issue?

Use those big flaps and get it as slow as you can.

Using more flaps has been the key for me. I usually only use one notch of flaps and wasn't bleeding off enough speed. I have been practicing touch-n-go's and am starting to get the hang of things now. The 185 really is the best fit for the ORBX NA regions so far.

Because of the lack of proper vision tail draggers are hopeless in normal FSX but TrackIR holds the secret.

And yes, an ex WW2 Spitfire pilot told me the trick is on the last few hundred yards to point the nose at the point in the runway you want to land on, then to flare at the very last moment before touch down. Although I don't fly them often, I've found it works.

John

Where is this 'ultimate_185' mod?

The only one I have is the optional one from Bernt on the Carenado page.

Glenn, I'm a bit puzzled on that one too. I have it on my disc since I've downloaded it as it came out, but it seems like all current Google search items lead to dead links.

However, I've downloaded the optional patch from Carenado and, in my eyes, that's a different thing. The ultimate mod includes all models for example, bush and normal.

The readme says.

These configs and airfiles were modified by Bernt Stolle. They were beta tested by several people, one being a real world bush pilot with many hours in type.These are now the most realistic files offered for the Carenado C-185 to date. Please enjoy. To make installation easier, do one at a time, and stay focused!

The files are from January 2011 while the Carendo 'optional patch' is from March 2010.Very confusing.

But Bernt is active in these forums, maybe he knows more. I'll write him a PM.

Wow, I didn't expect that anyone would still be interested in the 'ultimate' 185. It all started when Glenn 'Beaverdriver' asked me if it would be possible to make a better FDE for the 185.

The result was the 'optional' patch on the Carenado webpage which was done by Glenn (engine part) and myself (aerodynamics).

This patch however was still not perfect and I decided to start a new FDE from scratch.

I did send my flight test questionnaire to a couple of RW 185 pilots and got quite a few filled out test reports back. That way it was possible to make a noticable more realistic FDE than the one in the 'optional' patch.

It was available exclusively at the original bushpounders site but for many people including me, the whole website doesn't work anymore.

Don't even know if I still have the files on an external HDD.

E.g. AFAIK CoolP still has the 'ultimate patch' and anyone who has them can upload them anywere of course!

Glenn, I'm a bit puzzled on that one too. I have it on my disc since I've downloaded it as it came out, but it seems like all current Google search items lead to dead links.

However, I've downloaded the optional patch from Carenado and, in my eyes, that's a different thing. The ultimate mod includes all models for example, bush and normal.

The readme says.

The files are from January 2011 while the Carendo 'optional patch' is from March 2010.Very confusing.

But Bernt is active in these forums, maybe he knows more. I'll write him a PM.

Wow, I didn't expect that anyone would still be interested in the 'ultimate' 185. It all started when Glenn 'Beaverdriver' asked me if it would be possible to make a better FDE for the 185.

The result was the 'optional' patch on the Carenado webpage which was done by Glenn (engine part) and myself (aerodynamics).

This patch however was still not perfect and I decided to start a new FDE from scratch.

I did send my flight test questionnaire to a couple of RW 185 pilots and got quite a few filled out test reports back. That way it was possible to make a noticable more realistic FDE than the one in the 'optional' patch.

It was available exclusively at the original bushpounders site but for many people including me, the whole website doesn't work anymore.

Don't even know if I still have the files on an external HDD.

E.g. AFAIK CoolP still has the 'ultimate patch' and anyone who has them can upload them anywere of course!

Cool IP,

Any chance of an upload?

Yes, I've just read Bernt's answer. Thanks for the work and the approval to upload it. :)

So the //flight dynamics by B.Stolle Jan 2011 sign will mark every new aircraft.cfg. Make sure to save your old aircraft.cfg and air file. From the old files you will need your livery entries if you had some additional ones installed.

http://www.mediafire...ovblf0s4vd5s6zo

After having saved the old files, go into every folder like \SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C185F Amphibian and place the corresponding files there. So that's e. g. 185_amphib for that model which will overwrite the current aircraft.cfg and the Carenado_C185.AIR file.

Then you have to open the aircraft.cfg with a text editor and add your old livery entries. Don't change anything else there! If you did not run any additional liveries, you can leave out this step.

Note for the guys with EZCA. Run the EZCA config tool once after having installed the new files.

I just decided to buy the C185 bush plane from Carenado yesterday, (had the other C185 already) and this is in the heading of the aircraft.cfg so I think it has already been incorportated because it flies great!

Carenado C185F SKYWAGON SKI

Copyright © CARENADO 2010 - All Rights Reserved

This aircraft.cfg file was created with the collaboration of Gleen Davy and Bernt Stolle

Cheers

Martin

I just decided to buy the C185 bush plane from Carenado yesterday, (had the other C185 already) and this is in the heading of the aircraft.cfg so I think it has already been incorportated because it flies great!

As Bernt said here, he decided to give it even more detail, which lead to a 2011 aircraft.cfg file.

Carenado states their patch as optional and so is Bernt's later one. Both differ.

I'd say that all FDE mods are optional though. If you like her, you fly her the way you want to, that's the spirit.

If you are struggling to taxi the 185 because of the view I use EZdok and have a key assigned on my yoke that I call 'Taxi view'. It just gives me a few inches up in the seat so I can see over the cowling, once I'm rolling and the tail has lifted I switch back to my normal flying view. I don't consider this as a cheat as I would have thought taxiing the thing in the real would would be a little easier due to peripheral vision and real traction under the Tyres.

Archived