My Poor yoke and why is choice so limited for a yoke.

gandy

Well my poor saitek yoke is in a million bits again while im trying to sort it out again.. and my rudder pedals are going the same way with sticking.. its driving me mad.. well the yoke is and i almost decided to waste £180+ on the Saitek Cessna Yoke but im to afraid of getting burnt on it like i did with the pro flight yoke. Wasting that amount of money on a yoke that wont probably last a year before it suffers the sticking is a waste of money.

As in the UK there is a very limited choice of yokes ( I would love one of the PFC Yokes but they don't sell them here ) im left with the choice of nothing or the Vrinsight Master flight yoke which is the best part of £400 when you include the delivery charge :(

There is such an open spot for someone to make mid range flight yoke around the £250 mark im surprised no one has has tried to fill that gap yet as its a lot better than the cheap plastic we are being offered at the moment.

Ive even hunted for a pre year 2000 training yoke but the price on them is more than the £600 to £700 new yokes and i would still have to import it :(

Well im going to bite the bullet as they say and get the vrinsight yoke as im sure i wont regret it and im sure it will last and not suffer the sticking, im just hoping i can get it before Christmas as my kids want some presents from Santa this year ^-^

A money pit is a money pit if you want hardware to work the way it should.. :(

Well my poor saitek yoke is in a million bits again while im trying to sort it out again.. and my rudder pedals are going the same way with sticking.. its driving me mad.. well the yoke is and i almost decided to waste £180+ on the Saitek Cessna Yoke but im to afraid of getting burnt on it like i did with the pro flight yoke. Wasting that amount of money on a yoke that wont probably last a year before it suffers the sticking is a waste of money.

As in the UK there is a very limited choice of yokes ( I would love one of the PFC Yokes but they don't sell them here ) im left with the choice of nothing or the Vrinsight Master flight yoke which is the best part of £400 when you include the delivery charge :(

There is such an open spot for someone to make mid range flight yoke around the £250 mark im surprised no one has has tried to fill that gap yet as its a lot better than the cheap plastic we are being offered at the moment.

Ive even hunted for a pre year 2000 training yoke but the price on them is more than the £600 to £700 new yokes and i would still have to import it :(

Well im going to bite the bullet as they say and get the vrinsight yoke as im sure i wont regret it and im sure it will last and not suffer the sticking, im just hoping i can get it before Christmas as my kids want some presents from Santa this year ^-^

A money pit is a money pit if you want hardware to work the way it should.. :(

Nice one Paul. I have had EXACTLY the same dilemma recently. I too wanted a yoke, but faced with the only option of the, IMO, cheap and plasticky versions from Saitek and CH I went for the Hotas Warthog, which is amazing! However, if I had a spare £600 I would go the route you are taking. I absolutely agree, I think there could be a lot and I mean a lot, of money to be made by producing a midpriced, alloy yoke. I think even at the £300 mark it would be an investment many simmers would want to take.

I've heard even the VRInsight yokes can be sticky. I had a CH Eclipse for a while and it was better than either the regular CH or the Saitek in terms of smoothness, but I didn't like all the unrealistic extra paddles and buttons.

If I were going to get a yoke again, I think it would be one of the PFC Cirrus yokes. But, whew, that's a chunk of change.

How about CH products, can you get them?

Yep i can get them but the newer ones are suffering the same as Saitek from what i read which would suggest there has been a change over the years in the quality of plastic's used in them so its more of a hit and miss if i got a good one and i don't really want to take that chance plus on my current desk the shaft that pokes out of the back of the unit is not a good thing for me as it could end up hitting my monitor a few times as i have my pc case sat behind them. Not much room for that :(

I still think that i missed out on getting one with a decent build quality by a few years as people who have the older ones tend not to have issues or maybe a minor issue that does not have any effect on flight sim.

@ Mark

I would love to get an Elite yoke but i think my wife would kill me if i spent £700 on a yoke :(

I know what you mean, I'd love an robust yoke but the products that are appealing do not have a 'hat switch'. I'm not a head track user (though have been in the past) so a yoke with a Hat Switch is a must for me. I'm a Saitek user for nearly four years now and the only thing that has given me problems was the flashing clock (fixed by sticking black duck tape over it). If mine failed then I would probably try the CH offering as I have read the centre dead zone is more realistic.

Yep i can get them but the newer ones are suffering the same as Saitek from what i read which would suggest there has been a change over the years in the quality of plastic's used in them so its more of a hit and miss if i got a good one and i don't really want to take that chance plus on my current desk the shaft that pokes out of the back of the unit is not a good thing for me as it could end up hitting my monitor a few times as i have my pc case sat behind them. Not much room for that

I still think that i missed out on getting one with a decent build quality by a few years as people who have the older ones tend not to have issues or maybe a minor issue that does not have any effect on flight sim.

@ Mark

I would love to get an Elite yoke but i think my wife would kill me if i spent £700 on a yoke :(

I think Paul, once you have made your mind up on something, it's often the case that anything less won't do!

EDIT: Hey Paul, check this out.... http://www.flightsto...imulation/yokes

EDIT: Paul, take a trip over to this link and check out a review half way down the thread... http://forum.avsim.net/topic/326524-vr-insight-flight-master-yoke/

I think that is the case this time Howard, If the Saitek yoke had serviceable parts in it then i would gone that route but you cant replace a plastic sleeve bearing and converting it to metal bearings is not practical.

I do think with the vrinsight yoke if needed i could replace the bearings and pots if they wear down over time which makes it a serviceable unit so i do save money in the long run as in theory it could last for ever.. well sort of :)

Oh and there is room for expansion on the unit which would be something i would plan after the warranty has run out :)

Archived