I am probably going to embarras myself with some pre-newbie questions

ozinoz

Hi guys...

I have just come over from the Train-sim community and to be honest, can identify if something is an aeroplane maybe 7 out of 10 times :) I read some good reports about AuBlue and decided to purchase FSX to see what it is all about.

I am sure I will get the hang of actual flying eventually, but I am after some guide on what software to get. FSX obviously. There are 2 patches - are both needed? I notice there are also patches for the Deluxe version SDK - are they needed? AuBlue will be the first add-on purchase, but what else would be recommended for flying in Australia. Am looking forward to doing circuits around both Parafield & Adelaide airports with a flight down the coast to Goolwa. I saw something on one of the sites re AI aircraft and meshes - what are these?

Apologies for the basic questions, but I want to start out right...

Cheers

Something along the line:

1. Install FSX Deluxe

2. Download and patch to SP1

3. Download and patch to SP2

4. Download and install Holger's Mesh (fullterrain.com/freeware.html)

5. Purchase and install FTX AU Blue

6. Download and install FTX AU Blue SP1 (not sure if already merged with current sales version)

7. Turn FTX mode OFF (in case ON)

8. Purchase and install FTX AU Gold

9. Turn FTX mode OFF (in case ON)

10. Download and Install OZx (edit: oops, forgot this step)

11. Download and install FTX AU Traffic (fullterrain.com/freeware.html)

12. If your machine is up to it: purchase and install FTX YMML.

13. Turn FTX mode ON

14. Enjoy

15. Prepare to purchase and install FTX AU Green

16. Prepare to purchase and install FTX AU Red

Thanks Yallu, let me update that sequence ok?

Something along the line:

1. Install FSX Deluxe

2. Download and patch to SP1 - http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/pages/default.aspx

3. Download and patch to SP2 - http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/pages/default.aspx

4. Download and install Holger's Mesh http://fullterrain.com/freeware.html

5. Purchase and install FTX AU Blue (It is already pre-patched to AU BLUE SP1, so just run the installer)

6. Download and install FTX AU Blue SP1 (not sure if already merged with current sales version)

7. Turn FTX mode OFF (in case ON)   - no need to use FTX Mode when doing FTX installations from retail builds

8. Purchase and install FTX AU Gold

9. Turn FTX mode OFF (in case ON) - see above

10. Download and Install OZx  - http://aussiex.org

11. Download and install FTX AU Traffic - http://fullterrain.com/freeware.html

12. If your machine is up to it: purchase and install FTX YMML.

13. Turn FTX mode ON

14. Enjoy

15. Prepare to purchase and install FTX AU Green

16. Prepare to purchase and install FTX AU Red

Thanks guys - that was super fast. Can see it being an expensive few weeks :) Think I will start with Blue and migrate from there, although if I enjoy the SA scenery as much as I am hoping, may not migrate too far :) Once I get to jets, then Melb airport will be next. I can usually take off, its the coming down bit that usually causes the grief...

Thanks for the tips. Now just have to be patient and wait for FSX itself to turn up next week :)

Cheers

Thanks for that guys.. Your ears must have been burning, my FSX spat it on me tonight and I am faced with a total reinstall.. This list is great timing!

Just a quick question on your list John, where would you recommend, if at all, within the reinstall sequence to be performing reboots/defrags? Does doing this after each segment install improve on anything?

Thanks.

Thanks guys - that was super fast. Can see it being an expensive few weeks :) Think I will start with Blue and migrate from there, although if I enjoy the SA scenery as much as I am hoping, may not migrate too far :) Once I get to jets, then Melb airport will be next. I can usually take off, its the coming down bit that usually causes the grief...

Thanks for the tips. Now just have to be patient and wait for FSX itself to turn up next week :)

Cheers

When you get up and running we will explain teamspeak and FShost, which enables you to be able to multiplayer fly with other people here and the msx multiplayer which if you need help is great as you can fly with an experienced person in the cockpit that can teach you how to crash and burn............I mean land, sorry that's just how I do it!

If and when you want something a bit higher fidelity than the default aircraft I suggest making your first add-on aircraft from these guys.   

http://www.realairsimulations.com/home.php?page=home

All three of the packages they offer are my top three favorite aircraft add-ons, and I own a lot of aircraft add ons, which says I view these guys and thier aircraft as the best in the flight sim world.

By the way mesh is elevation data.  76m means the elevation's data sample points are 76 meters apart.  These days you can get 5m mesh for some areas, but not for Oz, although there is a 20m mesh add on for Victoria. 

Feel free to post any questions you might have, becuase if nobody else answer them I will.  And as was mentioned once you get AU Blue installed exlore the area around Launceston Tasmania for a real treat.  Here's a sample of what can be found, showing the RealAir Simulations Decathlon.

Posted Image

Well, finally have all of the bits together. FSX arrived in the mail yesterday and after several attempts have managed to download (thank you office internet connection) AuBlue, and all of the other recommendations, including Traffic. I think we will wait and see how it performs etc before looking at Melb airport. Now just have to install it all. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the recommendations

Cheers

Do the defrags once all your addons are installed. Use O&O Defrag and then do a SPACE defrag, reboot - SPACE again, reboot, then an offline defrag once, then finally a COMPLETE-NAME defrag. Then do a COMPLETE-NAME once a month after that.

I just got O&O john, Its heaps better than the default defag program on XP ;D and faster

I'm following your recommendation's now

thanks for the tip

I just got O&O john, Its heaps better than the default defag program on XP ;D and faster

I'm following your recommendation's now

thanks for the tip

Now there's a revelation :P .  I'm not knocking Louver's but in the real scheme of things the XP Defrag Program is just that a defrag program, it defragments based on size/blocks needed/ physical file size and make NO attempt to see when a file iwas last used etc so a good order can be set.

O&O is far more intuitive as are several other's like it.

Well, we are off to a great start!! Tried installing FSX twice last night and have hit the dreaded Error 1722 !! Have just spent the past hour researching this and have downloaded the "fix" from MS. Has anybody else had issues with this one? It is just disappointing that on an 8 month old machine, running Vista Home Premium SP1, their own software throws a wobbly and wont install. There are posts of users never being able to get it to run, even with the fix. Where does one stand if brand new software will not install, to say nothing of the add-ons we have just bought to install fresh off.

Very annoyed to say the least.

Cheers

Error 1722 can be caused by a number of things, but the most obvious one would be a "partial" installation still resident on your PC, with some registry keys needing to be cleaned up.

One of the things that keeps consistenly popping up in my searches is that your Java installation is corrupted. Don't know why this would be a factor, but I'd give that a try first.

UNINSTALL Java from the add/remove programs then REINSTALL it from http://www.java.com/en/ and get the latest version.

If that does not work, here's some possible fixes - although be aware that some of these products are generic registry cleaners which won't guarantee to solve the problem.

http://www.registryrepairsolutions.com/z-Fix-Error-1722.html

http://simple-pc-help.com/support/error_1722.html?t202id=231&t202kw=error%201722&gclid=CJvhurGQoJUCFQ8QagodQincjw

After a couple of hours on Saturday we managed to get everything up and running, using the fix from MS. I would have thought this far in the life cycle of the product that it shouldnt have been experiencing these sort of issues and would have been patched by now.

Take off is fine, but we are still creating some file looking holes around Richmond Road / Marion Road trying to land at Adelaide Airport :) . Would have liked to have seen Glenelg in a bit more detail seeing it is at the end of the runway and take off / landing via the sea flies over it, but all in all pretty good. The detail in AuBlue is wonderful on a whole.

Thanks for the help and advice...

G

Archived