Photoscenery with Orbx airports

Mikael Cedergren

Hi

I have searched the topics but can't find an answer to this question, only similar ones. I own all the Orbx addon airports in the PNW area and love them all. I also really like phots scenery like Megascenery. Is it possible to enjoy the PNW addon airports fully together with a photscenery active? If not what will I miss out on? I understand that correctly placed autogen objects throughout the PNW area in general will not be there without FTX PNW Blue, but I believe Megascenery places autogen objects as well.

Anyone use Megascenery or any other photscenery instead of FTX PNW Blue togehter with Orbx addon airport? what is your impression?

Many thanks

/Mikael Cedergren

HI Mikael,

Short answer is that yes, I use photorealistic U.S. scenery with ORBX NA. scenery's. Ian's concern, and our policy, is that us ORBX folks not use time and resources helping people who didn't really buy our products (think pirated), hence the need to verify via order numbers.

When your order numbers are provided I will be happy to answer any specific questions.

Cheers, Neil

No problems Ian and Neil order numbers attached:

FSS0066450 NA Blue PNW

FSS0066515 Darrington

FSS0068436 Concrete

And so on..... :-)

Now as you see I own the PNW Blue scenery, but preferably I would rather use Megascenery (or any other photoscenery) with my Orbx airports. Two reasons for this: First beeing I like photoscenery of course and secondly I always, always get the out of memory CTD error message when using NA Blue package but never on a fresh default MSFS install in the PNW area.

Anyway, I am just basically curious if the addon airports will look good without FTX PNW Blue but with photoscenery (and also interesting to know would be if they looked OK on a default MSFS install)

So what do you think Neil, any modifications needed for the airports to look as good as possible. Should I install the FTX PNW scenery library to MSFS. I see there are some photscenery alternatives, any recommendation. Perhaps Megascenery for the autogen? Any other downside before I go and invest in some photoscenery.

Thanks a lot

Mikael Cedergren

Just from my own experience I use Megascenery Earth Washington state with my Orbx airports. They will line up quite nicely but the big difference is the color and contrast will be dramatic. That is to say they will not blend together as nicely. The Orbx colors are more saturated and colorful blending nicely with their FTX terrain and the megascenery is more muted, colors not as crisp or just sort of on a different color pallet if you get my drift.

Thanks for your input about Megascenery with the Orbx addon airports. Any chanse you can upload a picture to show the colors difference between the the Orbx aiports and Megacenery.

You mention you still use Megascenery with Orbx airports, so you can live with the color variation then?

Thanks

Mike

Did a short flight with Orbx airports and default FSX with no additional addons and got pretty bad elevation problems around the airports. Must be the same using photoscenery I guess. how did you solve this Neil?

Installed and added the Orbx fields one by one manually in the scenery library at the highest levels. don't know if this was correct?

Mike

Did a short flight with Orbx airports and default FSX with no additional addons and got pretty bad elevation problems around the airports. Must be the same using photoscenery I guess. how did you solve this Neil?

Installed and added the Orbx fields one by one manually in the scenery library at the highest levels. don't know if this was correct?

Mike

Hi Mike, addon airfields are built on the PNW 10m mesh with their own flattens to correct anomalies in the 10m mesh. If you go back to using default FSX mesh, the flattens for the airfield will not blend into the mesh as it is a lower resolution. That's what is causing your errors I believe and I'm not sure there is a way to solve it except using PNW's 10m mesh or possibly another very high resolution mesh. Not sure on that but it's possible you could make it work.

Regards,

Alex

Hi folks, thanks for jumping in with your help

Mikael, sorry but I was busy working some of my Northern California airports (I left the largest to last) and I have "mouse shoulder" from too many hours at a time using the mouse!!

I use Sim Savvys Photoreal U.S. and my ORBX scenery's have a higher priority (smaller number on the list). What I get is the PR background with my airports rwys, taxiways, aprons and objects all showing. Sim Savvy's PR has no autogen so that may be a plus. To go back to the ORBX background I only have to uncheck the PR scenery entry.

I use the PR when working new airports so there may be some differences if flying in say PNW, NRM, etc I'll have to look into that. Also I use it with default airport generation so its not conflicting with any highly detailed payware scenerys (with use their own detailed PR backgrounds), that would be a whole different ballgame.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Neil

Edit: I went back and fired up FSX and went to S10 in WA state (one of my favorite airports). With the PR selected (and with higher priority) and stock ORBX NRM enabled I get only the rwys, taxiways, aprons and objects. Almost everything is lined up except the buildings but it's MUCH better than default.

Hi guys,

a while back I took a couple of comparison screenshots with FSX default vs. FTX vs. MegaScenery Earth (Washington State) at two airports: Darrington and Black Diamond. Attached below are those screenshots.

As you can see (and Neil has pointed out already) the airport corrections work quite well with a photoreal overlay like MSE. Achieving that requires that FTX Central remains set to "North America" and the FTX PNW entries stay active though one can probably deactivate the FTX_NA_PNW08_CUSTOM entry in the FSX scenery library menu.

On the other hand, the "washed-out" appearance of MegaScenery Earth, its sparse autogen, and its lack of seasons, make the combination of FTX and MSE look pretty poor IMO, especially with any of the detailed ORBX add-on airports like Darrington.

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-79362200-1314155499_thumb.jpg

post-375-0-53205100-1314155524_thumb.jpg

post-375-0-48400100-1314155535_thumb.jpg

post-375-0-90906600-1314155549_thumb.jpg

post-375-0-18520200-1314155683_thumb.jpg

post-375-0-83050300-1314155694_thumb.jpg

post-375-0-60668600-1314155710_thumb.jpg

post-375-0-45316500-1314155721_thumb.jpg

post-375-0-92523200-1314155730_thumb.jpg

Archived