YMML, Am I the only one with frame rate issues?

LBPN

First of all, I cannot describe in words how amazing the YMML add-on is. Simply amazing.

But I'm having a bit of issues regarding FPS. You need to know that I'm getting way above 22-25 FPS all over FTX (blue and gold), of course with few exception somewhere around some parts of major cities but that can be neglected as long as the frame drops from 25 to 14-17 for a few seconds.

After YMML though, I'm experiencing severe frame drop, to about 8-10FPS but only when facing to the airport. I read the manual and made the tuning as stated there but no chance of getting it beyond 12-14FPS.

I even turned off AA and AF nothing changed. I'm kind of frustrated as I have headaches and my eyes are hurting from the lack of smoothness. I didn't try to lower the autogen and scene complexity below normal and although I don't think it will change something, I won't do it because I don't want to loose the beauty of the scenery.

The problem is, everytime I change the field of view to the airport my FPS drops severely when on flight, and I get 7-9 FPS on approaches. Also changed to Native mode but doesn't help. I don't know what can I do to improve this situation as it gets realy annoying. I would like to ask you guys to post your FPS after installing YMML and make a comparison.

Bellow I post my PC specs:

CPU: Q6600 2.4Ghz OC-ed (3.2Ghz)

Motherboard:  GA-P35-DS3L

RAM: Mushkin 2x2GB PC2 6400 Dual Channel 800Mhz

GPU: BFG Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 896 MB OC

HDD: Samsung SATA 500GB

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bits

Yes, I had the same problem. One thing that helped was to unlock the framerates; with minimum settings (and I mean everything minimum!), I was able to reach 20 fps unlocked, but only 14 fps with framerates locked at 30 fps (my usual setting). Maybe this is just my system but you never know it might be worth a try.

Cheers,

Noel.

Yes, I had the same problem. One thing that helped was to unlock the framerates; with minimum settings (and I mean everything minimum!), I was able to reach 20 fps unlocked, but only 14 fps with framerates locked at 30 fps (my usual setting). Maybe this is just my system but you never know it might be worth a try.

Cheers,

Noel.

Well, I already have the frames set to unlimited but no change. This drives me crazy. What's the point of lowering everything to minimum. Any scenery complexity and autogen set to sparse or none, will not render any building tree and so on. I guess the SP1 should compress the texture a little more, or maybe lower the number of polygons on the buildings, i don't know. But for me any FPS under 18 it's just unbearable.

I had terrible performance the first time around.. After tinkering with the manual hints etc I gained a little fps. Then I adusted my cloud resolutions through FEX and that made a big difference..

It's all in the tuning for those without super -fangdangled riggs I guess..

I had terrible performance the first time around.. After tinkering with the manual hints etc I gained a little fps. Then I adusted my cloud resolutions through FEX and that made a big difference..

It's all in the tuning for those without super -fangdangled riggs I guess..

I have FEX but I didn't install the SHD clouds update. Anyway I have the same FPS issues even with weather set to Clear Sky.

How much FPS are you running right now by the way?

You know the best thing to do to really enjoy any scenery ours or others? Leave Shift - Z off, looking at FPS can really interfere with ones enjoyment.

I can run YMML hapilly on a low spec Laptop at Extreme Dense. it runs quite smoothly (ok occasional stutter) and with the FPS counter off (Which is how i always test my work first), its even better because if its smooth to my eye.... its smooth regardless of what the actual FPS count is. Its only an indication and in my opinion can be quite misleading (I have had FPS of 9 looking smoother than FPS of 30), the real test is how your eyes see the screen. Heres hope Aces removes the Shift-z key stroke from FS11.

You know the best thing to do to really enjoy any scenery ours or others? Leave Shift - Z off, looking at FPS can really interfere with ones enjoyment.

I can run YMML hapilly on a low spec Laptop at Extreme Dense. it runs quite smoothly (ok occasional stutter) and with the FPS counter off (Which is how i always test my work first), its even better because if its smooth to my eye.... its smooth regardless of what the actual FPS count is. Its only an indication and in my opinion can be quite misleading (I have had FPS of 9 looking smoother than FPS of 30), the real test is how your eyes see the screen. Heres hope Aces removes the Shift-z key stroke from FS11.

I'm not a benchmark and fps addict. All I'm saying it's not smooth, I don't care if i run with 1FPS as long as my eyes don't notice the lack of smoothness, as long as the plane is not almost uncontrollable due to low FPS. For me 20FPS is smooth enough but I don't get more than 7-8 on approaches. And oh...did I mention the ground textures around the airport are sometimes dissapearing and turn to black. I'll post some screenshots and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Anyway. I'm not complaining about the quality of the product. YMML is probably the best airport add-on for FSX. Unfortunately right now I cannot enjoy it.

We'll work with you to ensure you get the best out of YMML. I can see by your PC specs you have a much faster machine than my laptop, by a looong marging, yet for me YMML is very smooth and enjoyable. So I guess what we need to do is try and isolate what may be causing the issues.

- What defrag program are you using and when was the last time you did a full defrag?

- Have you pulled your field of view (FOV) back by pressing the "-" (minus) key a few times? That usually makes textures much crisper

- Have you tried setting your FPS to unlimited instead of locking to an FPS?

- When you press CTRL-ALT-DEL and select Task Manager, how many processes can you see runing?

- Have you disabled all applications running in the background, like web browsers, Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam etc?

- Have you tried using the latest video drivers for your card?

Ok, here's what I'm going to do:

I'll install Vista 64 as it will use more RAM and make full use of my processor. I'm going to reinstall FSX, FTX, YMML. I'll defrag the HDD.

I won't install FEX because I suspect FEX water with 16 AF will kill my FPS, although I keep the clouds at maximum with long draw distance and doesn't affect my FPS with this new GPU.  I won't install nHancer again because I suspect the AA 4x in nHancer, and the other tweaks also gives me some problems.( Anyway if anyone can give and nHancer tutorial, will be great).

Regarding defrag. I have Vista and vista is set by default to defrag my HDD on schedule, although I don't know if it defrags my D:\ partition. I'm using the default Vista defrag.

I'm going to return with impressions.

Tell him about the afinity =14 switch in fs.cfg so FSX uses his quad core properly. I'm away from my home computer, so don't have the details, can some one jump on this please...

LOL

Sue

Yes I did change to 14. Reinstalling everything now. I'll post the results

Best of luck with it all mate, let us know how you get on!

I know it's a real pain having to start an OS from scratch and it seems like a mountain to climb with all the driver installs, service packs, updates and software etc, but i have found in the past it can really make the world of difference.

Best of luck

Russ.

Tell him about the afinity =14 switch in fs.cfg so FSX uses his quad core properly. I'm away from my home computer, so don't have the details, can some one jump on this please...

LOL

Sue

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

//1  = 1 core          0001 // cores read from back to front ~ last is first

//3  = 2 cores        0011

//7  = 3 cores        0111

//14= 3 cores        1110

//15= 4 cores        1111

sumtin like this Sue ? ;)

I dunno what the problem is .. I have an E8400 with 2 Gig of RAM, average HDD, a Nvidia 9600GT with the latest WOHL driver and run at 1440x900 on my 19" WS monitor and I get on average about 18 - 20FPS dropping as low as 10FPS if I am passing low over the detailed airside and landside. Even at 10FPS the plane is not uncontrollable. Yes I sometimes get slow texture loads, but I think that is because I am close to exhausting my 512MB memory on the video card, and some texture swapping is taking place between the video card and main memory.

When I get another CPU and Video Card upgrade & memory I think I will be going from happy to very happy. Maybe it is coz I am not running an Uber-WS monitor :P

Craig

PS: FPS quoted running with polys not FSX native.

I'm getting smoother and better frame rates in poly mode instead of native mode - go figure ! Disabling features in native mode doesn't seem to make much difference either nor does changing the screen resolution. Its around 20 fps except over the terminal building where it drops to 12/14. My best fix is lowering autogen. Even at sparse, Melbourne still looks fantastic. My main problem is that the airport turns to white squares and parts of the surrounding scenery has black squares when I fly away and then turn to approach it again. They eventually load back to normal though.

Apart from that, Melbourne is brilliant work with lots of suprises. Love the tug pushbacks and aerobridges.  I am running a E6850 - nvidia 8800 ultra - 27"dell at 1900/1200.

Yep, Even with my rig I am having framerate issues.  My problem is getting it smooth, rather than framerates, although there is a big drop as I fly over the airport 'boundary'.  I am going to work with bufferpools and texture bandwith multiples to see if that can alleviate the judders.

Also I reinstalled My Traffic X, and this gave me a significant increase in smoothness, as the ai aircraft are not as clunky as the defaults.  I am looking forward to Mal's Australian AI, although I will need advice on how to exclude those parts of MTX that put ai planes into Australia.

As to the multi-core switch it is my understanding that if you have SP2 it is no longer required.  However threading over cores is limited in FSX, and is confined to texture and terrain loading - which is a big help anyway.

I try to tune my rig using the best tweaks, but I have a feeling that it could perform much better.  If there is anyone in Melbourne who does this commercially, I would be interested to know.  I have a good tech but like most his bread and butter is busness applications not gaming.

I've a very similar rig to yours, Macca, I'm getting drops if I'm looking anywhere near YMML.

Perhaps a suggestion? Share your settings with each other via PM or email to see what the differences are in your environments. By rights the same spec PC should provide near identical levels of performance if configured in the same way. Just an idea :)

Just a quick question:

Before I d/l YMML I want to make sure it'll look okay.  I've got the manual, added the tweaks and on the default YMML and YSSY I'm getting smooth gameplay.  I'm wondering if I can adequately compare my performance at YSSY (where ACES obviously put more effort into the airport) to what your YMML will be like performance-wise.

Cheers, James

OK, I'm back.

I installed Vista x64 Ultimate instead of Vista 32, reinstalled everything FSX, SP2, FTX, YMML, no FEX yet, made FSX.cfg tunings defragmented my partition, and well ... it's muuch smoother now. I don't know if it's because of Vista64(as I got better results in the past with x64 OS), or because fresh install and defrag.

I didn't expected much better results than that. Of course I still get frame drops from 18-20 to 10-12 but it's smoother now. Not as smooth as the rest of the FSX scenery where I get above 35-40 FPS and muuuch better smoothnes than YMML but it's understandable taking into account the amount of poly and high resolution textures used at YMML.

Well I hope I can live with this, although, when I recently upgraded my PC I expected much better results, and I do get better results than with my previous PC. As far as I can see right now I can fly with FEX clouds set to maximum (not HD clouds) and huge draw distance and don't get severe frame drops. Yet YMML is state of the art and to be honest today hardware cannot do very much to run it at the best. Maybe if the textures were more compressed, I don't know...

I am thinking though, if an Nvidia Quadro will make a difference compared to gaming cards, I know it's not a gaming card but it's 3D application oriented. Of course a Quadro is more expensive and by a large margin, and I do not consider buying one, but I was just thinking.

I'm sort of annoyed thinking that I cannot do very much, regarding hardware, to make YMML run at the best, as I hear even guys with extreme quad processor don't get better results.

OK. Thank you guys for your assistance, and I'll look for others impressions and tweaks.

Maybe if someone get better results will share his tweaks with us. Oh I'd like someone to post an nHancer tutorial with some explanations. Thanks a ton!

Archived