Finally took the plunge...

maxter

I have had a lifelong ambition to fly for fun, probably for over 40 years.

While I've been at the controls of a plethora of various GA singles belonging to friends and acquaintances over the years, I have always wanted to do so for and by myself.

Well I have finally started on my long journey towards getting my recreation pilots license. Becoming a member of a small flying club and now formally learning the proper way to do it is simply awesome. I love the friendliness and the fact that everyone wants to talk about flying.

The picture below is of one of the Flying School's Jabiru's. My first formal hours have been all about ensuring I get a grip on the effectiveness of controls and ensuring I am able to maintain straight and level flight. If you've ever had the dream, my advice is go for it. Being a life long simmer (since 1984) there are a whole lot of bad habits I need to get rid of, but at the same time it has certainly assisted with my awareness of what is actually going on inside the cockpit, a place I spend too much time in, and not enough looking outside where I need to be.

The Jabiru...

Posted Image

Enjoy this truly great journey your embarking on and live life to its fullest every chance ya get! We only get 1 shot at this thing we call life, and you may as well do what it is that you actually enjoy, instead of wishing you had.. Send lots of pics!!

There is but one Phrase that comes to mind Sir.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. "

Leonardo da Vinci

Yup - before too long you'll be saying "Naaah - it was too expensive...." .. and "FSX was much better - I could fly any aircraft".. and "Landing fees? What are landing fees?" .. and "... comfort of my own living room.." ... Can't have a beer???" :lol:

Seriously - good luck, mate - have a blast! ..and don't forget the extra five knots for Mother on finals...

Archived