Palit 560Ti...

Rob Newman

Hi all...

Should be getting a bonus check in the next couple of weeks and after discussing things with you lot a little while back, I have decided to go for a new GPU...

(Also, I've noticed I get the dreaded Fatal Error - despite applying all the fixes - whenever I switch views and it seems to strike most often when going back to the VC and there is a lot of textures to load... I'm hoping a faster card with more memory will help there, but I stand to be corrected)

I've been looking at the Palit 560Ti with 2Gb memory... currently have the EVGA 550Ti with 1Gb.

Anybody here using the Palit card? Is it any good?

Thanks in advance...

Not a fan of Palit but my prejudice might be baseless. I have found that by sticking with Gigabyte and Asus and the like, paying a small premium, I get a better product all round. Palit are mid-range so maybe they've improved, it's outfits like Sparkle etc that I think should be really treated with caution. My computer adviser in the industry reckons that a lot of the cheaper cards with bigger specs are not properly designed, they'll take architecture designed for 1GB and simply slap 2GB on the card, which then may well have that much RAM but no way to pump it through effectively to the monitor. Tom's Hardware and similar sites are well worth a visit before spending your hard earned cheque, IMHO it is sometimes necessary to spend up to 30% more for a product that appears to be identical but is properly manufactured.

Yeah I'm with John on this. Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI all make solid cards for a decent price. Sparkle and Palit are cheap but remember you get what you pay for. Also I try to avoid EVGA since their prices are through the roof but I don't really see what they offer that others don't besides a small factory overclock

Ok... Thanks for the info.

I'm really looking to up my graphics memory (and overall performance in my other games) in the hope that I can increase my resolution a little and also attempt to resolve these crashes I keep getting... I know the manual for the Lancair does say that the HD versions should have at least 2Gb graphics memory available.

So I've been looking into other options... I've not been entirely happy with the newer releases of the Nvidia drivers as of late, and I found an Asus ATI 5970 with 2Gb for sub $300... I know the 570 and the 5970 are pretty much direct rivals, so it comes down to whether the extra memory would really do me any good.

And as I haven't had an ATI card for 10 years or so, I'm not too familiar with their products and drivers anymore and I'm sure I'd want to tweak my AA seetings... Can you get any 3rd party apps like "Nhancer" for the ATI cards?

Wow your allready upgrading from the 550ti? Ive heard alot of good things about that card.... I have a lowly 9800 gt (1 gb ) and can run the lancair (hd) and all orbx scenerys with no issue, even on a 27" 1920 X 1080 lcd monitor. I dont know much about the problems your having but it seems hasty to me to spend all that cheese so soon after your current card was released....... good luck for sure!

It sounds to me some config tweaking will fix you up, theres massive amount of info, tips, tricks and tweaks on the avsim forums. also try the tweak utility by jesus....

I dont mean to insult you if youve allready down all these things just throwin in my cents

Yeah... I'm loathed to do it so soon too... I'm just at my wits end with these crashes though... Either the dreaded Fatal Error, or Out of Memory errors (and with 6Gb, and a 1Gb graphics card, there is no way that should be happening). I need to look into things a little more regarding the config... I've made a few basic tweaks already to try and fix things and I've even dialed back my very small amount of overclocking to try and stabilize my system in case it's that... Though I have decent components and don't have issues with any other game or program other than FSX.

Just earlier I upped the CPU frequency but downed the memory and it BSOD on me...

Why can't PCs just work?!

Yeah... I'm loathed to do it so soon too... I'm just at my wits end with these crashes though... Either the dreaded Fatal Error, or Out of Memory errors (and with 6Gb, and a 1Gb graphics card, there is no way that should be happening). I need to look into things a little more regarding the config... I've made a few basic tweaks already to try and fix things and I've even dialed back my very small amount of overclocking to try and stabilize my system in case it's that... Though I have decent components and don't have issues with any other game or program other than FSX.

Just earlier I upped the CPU frequency but downed the memory and it BSOD on me...

Why can't PCs just work?!

I rarely have any freezes now even in PNW with all airports loaded. My secret?

Absolutely vanilla fsx.cfg as generated by FSX

NVidia Control Panel settings conservative (AA8x etc) see attached pic for example

Original drivers as supplied with my video card

Level of Detail Radius set to Small, other FSX control panel settings as per PNW guide.

No third party mesh, not even Rex(though I don't think Rex would have any effect anyway)

I'm not a believer in any of the miracle tweaks that are constantly promoted... for the simple reason that every single one I have tried has worked in one area but failed in another. When you read the reasoning behind the way ACES set up the Control Panel etc, it quickly becomes clear why most of the settings were provided via sliders etc, as the core settings in the fsx.cfg are optimised to the whole game, not one small part of it.

My computer is now very much in the lower end of mid-range and yet I can still have a seamless smooth flying experience in all but the most demanding of situations. Where I cannot fly smoothly now (YBBN with certain aircraft etc is an example), I'll await the day I upgrade and find some new airports to explore then!

post-82-0-33157900-1312616693_thumb.jpg

John: I've always felt the tweakers were always overdriving their systems to begin with, and their own tweaks just merely lower the settings while keeping the slider where they were. Nothing more. The only tweak I do have is the MAX_TEXTURE. It was put in by rex, but never used until recently with the NGX. Quite frankly I lost all faith in Bojote when he published his JFK video. Kind of odd he didn't notice all those black spots.

Archived