FSX and the new HD4870....

ptgar1

I finally have built my new pc, installed everything, and after hours of that fun, I booted up FSX + Acceleration + AU BLUE + AussieX Airports..

WOW.

Im locked at 25fps, and over any city or airport (In Aus), its keeping it up!

I got most sliders maxed out, Autogen to very dense, and it runs a treat!

My only question is though, is there any way to add more trees? They seem a little sparse in some areas (ie around airports), or this is due to the actual airport?

Im running the .bat mod that butch posted, and also the infinity core line added to the .cfg file, (althoug, is this neccesary, or does Accel. do this for me?)

My new rig is:

Asus P5-E Deluxe Mobo

4Gb Ozc RAM @1066

Q6600 @ standard 2.4ghz

Vista 32

and of course, the new

Gigabyte ATI HD4870 Card..

All for just over $1100..

(ps, anyone else using a ATI card, do you set Catalyst settings to app controlled?

I have that as default, but would like to know if the get petter Graphics from catalyst taking control?)

Hope this is a at least a tiny bit informative for those who are wondering about the new ATI cards!!

Cheers!

I am about to purchase a similar system in 2 weeks, but with DDR3 ram and a ATI 4850 card (budget doesnt stretch to the 4870), but I am getting the Q9300 instead of the Q6600. The P5E3 motherboard is what I have in mind as it takes the DDR3 Ram. The P5 series of boards seem fairly popular from my reesearch so far...

I would be interested in some screen shots also...pretty please

Craig

I have the Q6600 and the HD4850. I get better results letting the Catalyst Control run things. Play with the settings, and see how it goes for you.  Yeah those frame rates with the quad core and the 4800 series video card are great, aren't they !  ;D

LOL

Sue

The Q6600 and the RAM are both very similar to what I am about to buy. The Motherboard I am going for is the X48-DS4 Gigabyte.

I use a 3870 at the moment and will probably stick with that in this board. Can always later grab another and chuck it in crossfire mode, but don't think it would be worth it.

Sounds like an awesome system, some screenies please

Newegg.com  US $179. Though there was a $20 rebate going at the time. The 4850 is about half the cost of the 4870.

Couldn't afford the 4870, having just bout the Q6600 quadcore cpu. Next buy is a ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard . so I can install more memory. The one I have now only supports 2 gig. ( yes there are better, but it has 2 PATA connectors, which I still need, having a 300gb , and a 500gb Maxtor hard drive, and an IDE Memorex DVD;  my os, and FSX are on the 160gb Maxtor SATA)  LOL

::)

Sue

Wow that's cheap! It's almost always over 40,000 Yen here in Japan (over $400 AUD). Do some American shops ship Internationally?

Mate I am more than willing to have it shipped to my place in Indiana and then forward it on to you in Japan mate, still got to be a great deal of savings even with the shipping.  Oh and you dont have to worry about me stealing it I only have a laptop lol..................unless a blender and funnel is involved lol.

Thanks mate, that's really nice of you to offer.. Not in the market immeadiately, have to start prioritise on the spending for a bit.. Actually only just upgraded to a Geforce 8800 GT a couple of months ago so can you imagine the flak I would have to fly through with the wife if I re-upgraded so soon..  ::) At least I can spin off the TrackIR I just purchased as 'essential equipment'. Hehe..

Once again thanks for the offer, I might get back to you at a later stage. Also, same applies if you are needing anything from Japan, Akihabara is a hop, skip and a jump away from me here in Narita..

Thanks mate.

Hehe, yeah I know what you mean..

I work with QF, commute to YSSY and the wife with JL based here so we both need to be near the airport here.. And anyway, after some of my 'antics' over the years in 'town' (by which I mean Tokyo), the wife didn't want me to live back in Tokyo! ;)

Haha, the forum name should give you an idea! ;)

Am CC but currently training to finish off my CPL. Getting ready to knock off the theory exams now and the next time I spend some time in Oz I will be doing the flying components and getting the hours up. 

There's not much of a GA scene here in Japan so once I HAVE finished the next step is yet undecided. ;)

there is no such thing....well unless you want to spontaniously lose control of all bodily functions, although hilarious, during a muscle spasm caused by the taser you would lock in the position hence you would continue to tase yourself until you shook it lose! in all seriousness its taught to us never to try it due to that reason! because we are all hero's and of course take bets on similar antics.

(ps, anyone else using a ATI card, do you set Catalyst settings to app controlled?

I have that as default, but would like to know if the get petter Graphics from catalyst taking control?)

Hope this is a at least a tiny bit informative for those who are wondering about the new ATI cards!!

It has been my experience with ATI Cards to TOTALLY ditch the CCC and use Ray Adams Tray tools and set the 3D settings completely manually. The reason is that sometimes the Application will not revert to the previous settings once it has been closed and then you end up with all sorts of weird things happening.

The ATI Tool for controlling you graphics card speeds and memery management is also usefull and something that the CCC WILL NOT do.

Your Call,  good luck and above all have fun with your new creation.

The latest versions of the Catalyst Conrol Center do allow you to control the gpu and memory speed, at least the last three versions I have had. How long has it been since you've tried one?

With all due respect...

Sue

"The ATI Tool for controlling you graphics card speeds and memery management is also usefull and something that the CCC WILL NOT do. " ???? ???

Ok, I guess it's a personal preference, I couldn't find any adjustments for speed in Tray tools, and ditched

it.

LOL

Sue

Archived