pricing of FTX

jorvik

can anyone give me a rough idea of the number of expected number of parts for ftx to cover the entire world, and what kind of prices we might expect? this kind of information may help us to determine whether it is worth waiting for the release of what sounds and looks like a brilliant and magnificent production.

thanks.

jorvik

G'day Jorvik,

If by paradise you mean Queensland :) then yes it will be early next year. One of the reasons for this is so that the team can complete work on the current Aussie Temperate region which is well into its development cycle now. (Actually there was live demos at the Gold Coast convention this weekend of this area).

The Subtropical region is the next slated for development and the high resolution aerial photography for that region is already being sorted through for the required quality and compositions. Each region will utilise representative textures, that is to say it wont be a simple recolouring of the textures released for the previous package. This is important so we can attempt to achieve those regional differences that makes each area of Australia unique, let's face it - we are a parochial lot :)

Obviously the main focus at the moment is to finalise the first pack and get it out the door as soon as possible.

We will also be offering First Class Worldwide memberships for US$399 - that will give you every single region pack Orbx ever makes for FSX, with lot of VIP priviledges as well. These memberships will be limited though. We'll post details of those in the coming weeks.

We will also be offering First Class Worldwide memberships for US$399 - that will give you every single region pack Orbx ever makes for FSX, with lot of VIP priviledges as well. These memberships will be limited though. We'll post details of those in the coming weeks.

Why limit the $399 worldwide membership that is a heck of allot of cash to fork out and many folks may not be able to gather such large amount and require time to do so and then when they get the chance all allocated memberships might be brought? Will you have all the world covered well before the next FS is developed because some how when it comes out I will be getting it and FSX will be made into coasters so value wise for me might not be the right way to go but select just the regions I want?

Well! Look forward to how this pricing and things is going to all work out and can't wait for you to get your own online store so we don't have to use Flight1 and then I can create an account in one place with you guys and be done with it.

I don't know, $399 for a hobby that for me gives satisfaction far beyond that of others I have tried, the last golf club I bought cost over $500 plus the green fees of $25 - $40 each time.  And besides my wife has two expensive hobbies that pales FS into insignificance - Scrapbooking and Stamping!!  Looks like you may have at least one customer.

Gordon

BTW }SkOrPn--7 this is not a dig at your post, your opinion is valid as is mine.

I don't know, $399 for a hobby that for me gives satisfaction far beyond that of others I have tried, the last golf club I bought cost over $500 plus the green fees of $25 - $40 each time.  And besides my wife has two expensive hobbies that pales FS into insignificance - Scrapbooking and Stamping!!  Looks like you may have at least one customer.

Gordon

BTW }SkOrPn--7 this is not a dig at your post, your opinion is valid as is mine.

I know only too well that $399 is a drop in the ocean for me when it comes to gaming but I was more concerned with folks that are not flush with funds and have to micro manage there money. Hell when a new game comes out I'm happy to drop a complete new rig down just to ensure it will be maxed out or rush out and get hardware to ensure I'm set but not everyone is in a position to do that. My other point is we all know development takes time and for the job to be done right time is needed I don't have an issue with that. My concern is if I drop $399 down for "First Class Worldwide memberships" but it takes 2-3 years to complete the package and in the mean time FX11 arrives I will be dropping FSX like a hot potato and moving on to the next model.

So that $399 would be a waste of $$$ if I don't get the full benefit due to length of development time and when the new FS comes out I move on having to buy all over again. Myself personally I don't revisit old games there dumped the moment big brother comes out. Hence why I asked if the project will be completed in due time before the release of Microsoft's new FS release. I like flying all around the world but what I don't like flying in is cruddy graphics so I will be getting all packs for Australia as I guess you will be. If the time frame for all the world for completion can be given this will influence my decision if I become on of the "First Class Worldwide memberships" member.

I'm also waiting for news to what is happening with FEX and REX because things are very unclear at the moment how they intend to work together so until I know I'm holding my $$$ on FEX/REX I have "X Graphics" so that will tie me over until things are confirmed and I can decide on my purchase choice.

As for your comment about

None taken I'm an Aussie and was brought up in the school of hard knocks/water of a ducks back/sticks and stones/ None of the political correctness crap etc............

Anyway I guess it's a case and sit back and wait for information/news but one thing is for sure these guys really know quality products and the moment the Blue region is released for Oz it's mine to enjoy.

Also remember guys that you can buy only the region packs you'll need, so if you only fly in Australia then you will only need those packs...

As a beta tester I'm not aware of the scope of Orbx's vision but it certainly sounds like the world is their oyster :)

Yeah I realize that but I really enjoy flying in other parts of the world but for now I will restrict my flying too Oz while I have the chance of such awesome looking graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

Koorbs,

A quick question on the above as I am giving serious consideration to taking out this form of membership.

Does the plan include any of the payware airports?

Is the plan restricted to the FSX offerings only, with no availability for any subsequent or possible FSXI products?

Cheers and thanks,

Chris

@JohnG and maxter:

- There will be no-preorder system. We'll sell FTX when it's done, and won't take money from people for unfinished products. Not the way we do business :) We *do* appreciate the enthusiasm and support though - thank you!

- The membership plan will be limited to a first-come, first-served basis probably in the first 60 days of FSX being on sale. The huge savings on offer will erode too much of our revenues if we keep the membership open too long, so it's our way of rewarding those who purchase early and back Orbx's vision. 60 days should give you plenty of time to save those pennies ;)

- The $399 membership plan will be restricted to all FTX Region Packs for the entire world, and only for FSX. When FS11 is released there will more than likely be a membership "cross-grade" program which will extend the same benefits to our FS11 products. However, we would be foolish to extend the initial membership with a commitment for FS11 when we don't even know the underlying architecture of the new version of the sim. There may be a delay in porting FTX to FS11 depending on the new file format (if it changes at all - we have no clue); so therefore it's best if we commit to only what we know. Keep in mind that we will cover most of the popular areas in the world for FSX well before FS11 is out anyway. Also, Orbx has a great relationship with ACES and we'll have visibility on the new platform ahead of time. Rest assured we're not going to rip anyone off with memberships that are worthless down the track.

- There is no plan to offer a membership plan for our payware airports at this stage. The development time and costs are quite high and discounting those addons does not make business sense at this point in time. They will be very competitively priced though.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the British Isles VFR Photographic Scenery by Horizon and have been using it in FSX. Like you they also have regions and so I purchased the whole lot. The results are no where near as spectacular as your screen shots for your product. Actually I'm a bit dissapointed in the Horizon product as the closer you get to the ground, the more blurred the object becomes. What you are offering with your VIP membership is very reasonable and I will be taking you up on your offer. I can't see Flight simming getting much better than this in my lifetime. I just don't ever want to die, just to see where it will go to. Can you e-mail prospective clients for the VIP deal when it becomes available? Or do we just have to keep on coming back to the forum?

Regards

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a note about my previously mentioned $399 Membership pricing.

Orbx has reviewed this concept and have decided to abandon that option. Here's the main reasons:

1. We don't wont to take money from anyone for products and region packs which have yet to be developed. That's an indebtness we'd like to avoid, and we also don't want to have obligations and enormous pressures to release new packs from people who have bought such a membership. We develop at our own pace and keep the quality at a maximum - we take a huge amount of pride in the little details and quality and features of FTX.

2. International currencies in recent times have fluctuated heavily. This means that the USD-AUD dollar situation is making it very tight margin wise. We want to invest 100% of our profits into Orbx so we can hire more staff to create more region packs quickly. So we're simply moving to a US$25 flat rate for all region packs, without memberships and no volume discounts. That said, we still feel that for the price of a few pizzas, you're getting an incredible experience over a vast area.

I trust you understand our policy change. The upside is that you'll be spending your FTX purchases in tiny little chunks now :)

Completely understand John.  $399 is a hell of a lot of regions I wouldn't fly around anyway, I normally stick to Oz and rarely fly OS.  Although NZ would be good.

Gordon

Apart from Australia I like to fly around Thailand and the Philippines.  So am looking forward to an Asian pack. Though I realise it may be a long time coming.

The European pack sounds good too! Try flying the TEANO arrival (TEA 1A) into Naples (LIRN). Mt Vesuvius on your left, Bay of Naples ahead. Unreal!

Am I addicted or what? :)

I agree the Asian pack would have been nice after Australia.But i thought(if not Asia)we could have had  New Zealand with or after the Australian pack.

What do you think JohnV.... :-*

Cheers....

JohnG ;D

I agree the Asian pack would have been nice after Australia.But i thought(if not Asia)we could have had  New Zealand with or after the Australian pack.

What do you think JohnV.... :-*

Cheers....

JohnG ;D

To be honest I would have thought that the sheep lovers would have been included in the Australian regions making it the 5th region pack.....

Just regarding the pricing, we're no longer advertising a fixed price of US$25 - this is due to the currency flunctuations happening around the world right now. We are however, 100% committed to making FTX as cheap as possible and won't be hiking up our pricing just because we're selling well. The price will remain as close to the US$25 mark as we can sustain. We aim to simply monitor any negative currency situations and that may mean a variance of a few dollars now and again. Hope this clears things up :)

Hello all.

I have read about payware airports (cant remember where tho :-\) and am wondering how will they be sold. Will each airport be sold separately or will you be able to buy multiple airports in a pack and has there been a price worked out for the payware airports and when will they be available.

Regards

Ray

Archived