They build 'em strong in Russia....

29.04, Chkalovsky Airport.

After 10 years spent on ground, Tu-154B2 RA-85563 finally took to the air once again. Shortly after takeoff, flight control system has failed, leaving only thrust and altitude control at the disposal of crew. Plane started to wobble, sometimes yawing and banking at 40°. Nonetheless, crew still managed to land the jet, amazing...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP5uLDnUOdI

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ1CIByTz24

(Third part in next post)

;)

In Soviet Russia....Airplane fly you.

I know, bad joke :D

Nothing wrong with the Soviet Russia meme :lol:

That's some seriously amazing flying right there, the pilot must have balls of steel. No, make that titanium. Unbelievable.

Cheers,

Derek

Can't believe a real plane going like this. Blame the mechanics, praise the pilot .. no, call him THE pilot. Amazing. I copy that 'balls' statement. Just incredible skill or luck, or both.

At least, now I know that my sim flying actually can happen in the real world.

Not quite. Sioux City was an uncontained turbine blade failure in the center engine of a DC-10, which damaged the flight controls. In this, the flight controls failed for other reasons

Can't see what the fuss is about?

Looks to me like the standard 2.10pm Aeroflot flight to Moscow.....

But the footage of the tarmac was very interesting, he should get the people's award for Videography, maybe a bottle of Smirnoff or a pound of beluga!

Frank

Could be a cover up Frank, maybe the pilot had his bottle of breakfast Smirnoff BEFORE he took the controls, that would explain the erratic flying, and his quick return to the airfield was due to him blacking out and thinking he had arrived in Moscow already. ;)

While not wishing to belittle the skills of the Qantas A380 crew in bringing their craft in safely, I think this incident makes the Singapore incident look like a ride in the simulator!

PPRuNe.org has photos and videos from the other side which show the landing

Not quite. Sioux City was an uncontained turbine blade failure in the center engine of a DC-10, which damaged the flight controls. In this, the flight controls failed for other reasons

Point is it lost its flight controls and the aircraft was flown by controlling all three axes with differential engine power.

Amazing skill to get that thing down :o were there passengers on board?... terrifying for all concerned. It's hard to believe while watching, that the outcome is going to be good.

I hope none of our Russian friends [if we have any] are offended by the stereotypical Russian=drunk comments :rolleyes:

Archived