Wide screen monitor & water shimmer

Turnip

I'm using a ACER 22 inch (5ms) monitor AL2216W. I have always had a water shimmer problem but now that I loaded FSWC, the water looks terrible. There's a lot of shimmer as the water moves from one pixel line to the next. It only happens in the horizontal and not the virticle lines. I running it at 1900X1200 75Mhz. How can I get rid of or decrease the amount of shimmer i get. Is this just a "wide screen" problem?

Let me rephrase that.   have trilinear set IN FSX. On the ATI Catalyst Control Center I have it set to 8X

Change your FSX filtering to anisotropic. Set anisotropic filtering to 16X in your ATI panel (if it supports it). That should work, but please let us know if it does not.

OK  I set it like you suggested and that took care of 90% of it. I still get the shimmer from a land mass reflecting off the water. Example: If I'm over water and look at an land mass that I am approaching, it "glistens and shimmers". Any way to minimize this?

BTW  Thanks for the help. It looked terrible.

Hi guys,

John we've been recently investigating the water shimmer. We thought that the envmap.bmp was only used for the reflections on non-water types, such as chrome on aeroplanes, wet runways etc. and on 1x water. We didn't think it was used for 2x water... are we mistaken?

The enhanced shaders in FSWC at high values tend to induce shimmering on systems with low anisotropic settings. It's there with the default shader too, its just FSWC tends to make it stick out a bit more.

You can reduce the shimmering effect by reducing the intensity of the reflections and reducing the reflection blend curve. We are also currently investigating further shader modifications which can help to reduce the shimmering effect.

If you are running FEX, you could try a different wave animation. This may help too.

Keep an eye on our forum for more information on future upgrades to FSWC.

Cheers

Paul

I'm using a ACER 22 inch (5ms) monitor AL2216W. I have always had a water shimmer problem but now that I loaded FSWC, the water looks terrible. There's a lot of shimmer as the water moves from one pixel line to the next. It only happens in the horizontal and not the virticle lines. I running it at 1900X1200 75Mhz. How can I get rid of or decrease the amount of shimmer i get. Is this just a "wide screen" problem?

Try setting your monitor to 1680 x 1050

Turnip,

I am running the same Acer monitor, in 1680 x 1050 without any of this shimmer problem you are having, so I don't think it is a monitor issue.:) Hope you get it figured out.

Thx Sniper.  What are your monitor settings? I am running 1680 X 1050 as you are but what is your refersh rate?

Oops, sorry about that Turnip, probably should have told you that to begin with....my refresh rate is set at 60hz.

Sniper,  If you deselect the EDID setting under MONITOR ATTRIBUTES ( assuming you use ATI CCC ) you can kick that refresh rate up to 120. That definately helps out. I haven't fried my monitor yet.

Using Anisotropic filtering helped out a bit but it is still there. It varies with whatever preset you are using. The bigger the wave, the more shimmer. I think they may still be working on it.

I'd be setting the Vertical Sync to be forced on too ans this alleviates many problems caused due to the Horizontal and Vertical refresh rates are NOT the same.

Another thing you could also do is remove the ATI Catalyst control Center ENTIRELY and use Ray Adams Tray tools to control ALL your Card settings and NEVER allow ANY Game to control the card, Reason: Some games and Sims DON'T return the Graphics settings to where they were previously used. I chased my tail for weeks looking for an error and then after I set the Card manually I had not more errors.

Your choice , 

Archived