I REALLY hate to keep beating a dead horse but...

Turnip

My only problem with FSX is the small stutters that are really noticeable close to the plane. When you look down at a house or tree, it doesn't pass by smoothly. It jerks a bit like a "start and stop". Is THIS what smooth is supposed to be in FSX??? If it is, then I'll stop worring about it and try to be happy. Does anyone else see this while flying or are the trees and houses perfectly smooth??? Especially in a turn.

I dont think I have ever had perfectly smooth textures in a turn. I have had better success with smoothness since I applied the settings that were recommended in the AU_BLUE/AU_GOLD pdf.

Have you tried those? I set the sliders as recommended and also applied the FSX tweaks. I also run FSX with unlimited frame rates as I find that smoother than when I set the frame rate slider to say 25 - 30.

My 2c worth anyways :)

Thx Gurdy,  Over the last 6 - 8 months, I've done just about everything to get it to smooth out. I will however take another look at the PDF. All the FSX tweeks are good. The only other laternative I can think of is to pop more $$$ into the system for a quad core. CRYSIS and COD 4 smoke on this machine. FSX is a constant headache. Doesn't appear to be a magic button or happy medium to be found.

defrag very often!

I do mine every other day...I have no killer rig like some   :P

but I do get 18-25 frames with good settings just by keeping up with it.

Dave

Dave you just defrag your FSX partition? Or the OS partition as well??

i went and did a whole day of comparisons to find my perfect set up. I added all the tweaks and stuff, then set my graphics as low as it could go, then one by one i looked at what each slider did to FPS by turning it up full, then i just went on from there, added a bit here, a bit there, whoops to much back it off a bit, now i have an aesome FSX experience. i have the visuals and the FPS, the only thing i seem to be lacking is seing the FTX lights at a long distance, but if you got the time, and want a good FSX experience, then something like this may help,

P.S you dont have to tediously do it all 1 by 1 like me, i was also curious to see the different hits FPS gets with teh different things

cheers

also, i have a very mediocre machine indeed, E4500 2 GIG ram, nvidia 8600GT and poo mother board

I find the autogen is the main problem. Turn that off and you get a smooth sim, for example with photo-realistic packages like Horizon's UK scenery. But no-one would want to do that with FTX; the low-level experience needs autogen at least at dense settings, even if it is not as smooth.

Cheers,

Noel.

I'm lucky..just as a personal choice I hate the look of too much autogen.

Have mine at sparse, and bump up clouds to make up for it.

Everyone has their style, that's what makes this so fun!!

Dave

Since i installed the new Nvidia-Driver 175.19, suddenly i had very strong stutters on my system. I reinstalled the old version (165.19) and tried every version between those two, but the stutters didn' vanish. I experienced with nhancer and nearly every fsx.cfg setting but the stutters stayed. This was the most reason why i paused my current video production, because the frames were very bad. Just about one hour ago i took another look at my fsx.cfg file and detected an oddity: there were two display sections like [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra.0] and [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra.1], first with the entry Mode=1680x1050x32 and the second with Mode=1024x768x32. After deleting the second section with it's entry my system runs as smooth as before. Don't know how it happened, but it doesn't matter; I'm happy again.

Hi Andreas,

I had noticed the same thing, for one or other obscure reason there where two [Display] sections, I didn't give it to much tought just deleted the second one somewhere at the bottom of the fsX.cfg and whent fiddling again, I think it's related to the latest nVidia drivers 175.xx, alltough I must admit that since installing those, things look very much nicer at this end and the sim runs a lot smoother 8)

Hi Turnip just read your post. I have an Intel Quad core on the same motherboard as you, but I believe I read somewhere FSX takes no notice of Quad core only Dual core. This after I bought the dam thing.The only other thing I would recommend is a better Graphics card. I have a XFX  8800 GTS 640 mem. It's not bad getting about 20-25 frames. Hope this helps.

Thx for the input Gents.  I do defrag VERY often and did some expreiments awhile back with the autogen. If I turned autogen all the way off, the ground next to the plane would still stutter. If I turned the trees down in the FSX.CFG, I would notice a bit of improvement but still got stutters.

My FPS are all good. THAT is what bugs the heck out of me. Good FPS but the houses, trees and bldgs and ground stutters.

Variometer  I too have noticed that second entry. I removed it awhile back but FSX just adds it again. Can you check your cfg and see if FSX put it back in?

DADTOM65  I had a 8800GT that was bad so I shipped it back to Newegg. I got a 3870 instead as I had never had problems with ATI. There is a tweek out there for making FSX use a Quad Cor Processor. Are you running it?

I'll look into the buffer pools one more time as I am at the end of the rope here as far as options.

you are right, Turnip, the entry appeared again after changing some settings in the fsx option menu. Therefore the deleting obviously had only a placebo effect on my stutters. Now that i know it, i'm monitoring stutters again, especially when i set the frames to unlimited, which i use to do during recording. In terms of the second entry i found out that it is used for DX10 mode.

I've been changing them a bit so now I have them at

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1500

There are  a few other things I tweaked over the last day but this is where I stand.

I know this is long but here is my cfg

[sOUND]

AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000

SOUND_FADER1=0.640000

SOUND_FADER2=0.180000

SOUND_FADER3=0.360000

SOUND_FADER4=-0.710000

AmbientUIMusic=FSX01

SOUND=1

SOUND_QUALITY=2

SOUND_LOD=0

UISound=1

AmbientUI=0

PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}

VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}

[Display]

ChangeTime=4.000000

TransitionTime=4.000000

ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64

NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64

InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0

InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0

InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

InfoBrakesEnable=True

InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True

InfoPauseEnable=True

InfoSlewEnable=True

InfoStallEnable=True

InfoOverspeedEnable=True

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=10

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0

WideViewAspect=True

[Main]

HideInfoText=0

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

Maximized=1

Location=125,135,1417,867,\\.\DISPLAY1

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

ProcSpeed=6757

PerfBucket=6

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\UT Aircraft

DisablePreload=1

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

[PANELS]

IMAGE_QUALITY=1

DEFAULT_VIEW=1

QUICKTIPS=0

PANEL_OPACITY=100

PANEL_MASKING=1

PANEL_STRETCHING=1

UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0

[Weather]

WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1

MinGustTime=10

MaxGustTime=500

MinGustRampSpeed=1

MaxGustRampSpeed=200

MinVarTime=5

MaxVarTime=50

MinVarRampSpeed=10

MaxVarRampSpeed=75

TurbulenceScale=1.000000

WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com

WeatherServerPort=80

WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0

AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1

DynamicWeather=2

DownloadWindsAloft=0

DisableTurbulence=0

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

[CONTROLS]

Controls_Default=Standard

Controls_Current=Standard

KBDAIL=64

KBDELEV=64

KBDRUD=24

[TextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

[TextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

GForce=1,3

FuelPercentage=1,4

[TextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

GForce=2,3

FuelPercentage=2,4

[slewTextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

[slewTextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

[slewTextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

[DynamicHeadMovement]

LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000

LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000

RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000

YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000

RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000

MaxHeadAngle=5.000000

MaxHeadOffset=0.300000

HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

[VirtualCopilot]

VirtualCopilotActive=1

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=0

AC_SELF_SHADOW=0

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432

D3D10=0

[uSERINTERFACE]

ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1

SelectAircraftManufacturer=All

SelectAircraftPublisher=All

SelectAircraftType=All

PageID=1

OpenATCOnCreate=0

SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0

PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0

PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1

SITUATION=c:\users\elton roy hyland\documents\flight simulator x files\YSSY.FLT

Map_Orientation=2

DisplayFuelAsWeight=1

[trusted]

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.ceikbokzcoibhkublwhlaizwckwkqzaeqwlqeula=1

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\F1PC12.GAU.rhahciwubcknolazticnqlziuikerczbkzozrzhb=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\pc12dll.GAU.bzqebzabohnkctotuzahetelunwrqctubohthlur=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bendix_King_Radio.DLL.kabnhuhbzqbiwwtehcohqbenzrholkbcqwtrlwhu=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\737-400.DLL.onhwrkonnlcklkqbziwbkanzbkzcbneokqiuraci=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\RCB_Groundhandling5_Sound.DLL.kzbucbnckzeqzonwwnluuzcrwteohtcntuzbntie=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Mooney_Bravo.DLL.ruwennaancoztzqaokielelrukoieowantukwizw=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\KingAir.DLL.rblerltoirnclquewwqrwuwiztnorherqwkrzcii=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Cessna172.DLL.nzetoohzbabnrbriauqkctkaothkarrazqietcea=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\KingAir_Radio.DLL.rlobwhbztuncbcqiaatazznawzzhqnqukuklknoi=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Magnetic_Compass.DLL.qucrciqhrzzcunwuwlalhhiqbliealltcwahnina=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\Dhc6_Instruments.GAU.oaqahekehnikeilhkqleeqibwweenqhnneelhehw=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\pad_inst.GAU.eqbiekzqantrkolozelhkrbezbzktinuzttaiaeo=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\DHC6-Instr.GAU.tklianhquzcwaouanbroweerlkcchrtchcweuauh=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\pad_avi.GAU.qeewwkhwthruuqwoeniieabhieqzczurqonlubrc=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\BK_Radio.GAU.cnetiuiwrkwzheiequkihcuukqehlubrqctqtcbw=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\cad_kln90brored.GAU.haeoucorlhuqhznwkiezwncqtitahnqbkoqqwcba=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\cad_kln901brored.GAU.haeoucorlhuqhznwkiezwncqtitahnqbkoqqwcba=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\DHC6-Engine.GAU.urqthotcbqzwkquonactruqzncnotqrueqbtkrtu=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\RCB_Groundhandling5_Sound.DLL.kzbucbnckzeqzonwwnluuzcrwteohtcntuzbntie=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\cad_kln902brored.GAU.haeoucorlhuqhznwkiezwncqtitahnqbkoqqwcba=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\Dhc6-Instruments.GAU.zunuriazenqzoqincunkkkwhochorektahlthlaa=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\d6_cxa_x\panel.300ap\cad_kln903brored.GAU.haeoucorlhuqhznwkiezwncqtitahnqbkoqqwcba=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\FSX-SP2_Citation X\panel\737-400.DLL.hzcawhiabzniqootrkaqwoqqicblcnwnowhaehnk=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\BoeingGeneric.DLL.klukwcroaknaoriwecqwkonroiewulelkwlalnrh=2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\feelThere PIC ERJ145LR\panel\ERJ_mainX.GAU.hataukwebeanichwwhtenhaaaekorclnruowbnio=2

[ATC]

ShowATCText=0

COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF

COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6

COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B

COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00

COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840

AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=0

UsePilotVoice=0

PilotVoice=0

[PointOfInterestSystem]

CycleSetting=0

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=0

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

SmallPartRejectRadius=2

[trafficManager]

AirlineDensity=0

GADensity=0

FreewayDensity=10

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=6

LeisureBoatsDensity=4

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=45

MESH_RESOLUTION=22

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=0

DETAIL_TEXTURE=0

WATER_EFFECTS=7

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1500

[AContain]

ShowLabels=1

ShowUserLabel=0

ShowLabelManufacturer=1

ShowLabelModel=1

ShowLabelTailNumber=1

ShowLabelDistance=1

ShowLabelAltitude=1

ShowLabelAirline=0

ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=1

ShowLabelFlightPlan=1

ShowLabelContainerId=0

ShowLabelAirspeed=0

ShowLabelHeading=0

LabelDelay=1000

LabelColor=FFFF0000

[iNTERNATIONAL]

ASLAT=3

ASLON=0

MEASURE=0

[REALISM]

PFactor=0.970000

Torque=1.000000

GyroEffect=0.970000

CrashTolerance=0.960000

General=0.980000

UnlimitedFuel=False

TrueAirspeed=False

AutoCoord=False

RealMixture=False

StressDamage=False

GEffect=True

ManualLights=True

GyroDrift=True

CrashWithDyn=False

CrashDetection=False

AutoTrim=False

[sIM]

SYSCLOCK=1

[sTARTUP]

DEMO=0

SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1

STARTUP_DEMO=

LoadWindow=1

[FACILITIES]

COUNTRY=Australia

STATE=

CITY=

GTL_BUTTON=1232

[Misc]

Com_Rate=7

[FlightPlanMap]

LineWidth=2

SHOW_AIRPORTS=1

SHOW_VORS=1

SHOW_NDBS=0

SHOW_APPROACHES=0

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0

SHOW_VICTOR=0

SHOW_JET=1

SHOW_AIRSPACE=0

SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1

SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=0

SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1

SHOW_DATATAGS=1

SHOW_TERRAIN=1

show_waypoints=0

show_airways=1

show_markers=0

show_volume_boundaries=0

show_ac_twr=1

[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]

SHOW_AIRPORTS=1

SHOW_VORS=0

SHOW_NDBS=0

SHOW_APPROACHES=0

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0

SHOW_VICTOR=0

SHOW_JET=0

SHOW_AIRSPACE=0

SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1

SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1

SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1

SHOW_DATATAGS=1

SHOW_TERRAIN=1

[MAPVIEW_MAP]

SHOW_AIRPORTS=1

SHOW_VORS=1

SHOW_NDBS=0

SHOW_APPROACHES=1

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0

SHOW_VICTOR=0

SHOW_JET=0

SHOW_AIRSPACE=0

SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1

SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1

SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1

SHOW_DATATAGS=1

SHOW_TERRAIN=1

show_flight_history=1

[WeatherMap]

SHOW_AIRPORTS=0

SHOW_VORS=0

SHOW_NDBS=0

SHOW_APPROACHES=0

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0

SHOW_VICTOR=0

SHOW_JET=0

SHOW_AIRSPACE=0

SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1

SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1

SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1

SHOW_DATATAGS=1

SHOW_TERRAIN=1

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=3

[DISPLAY.Device.ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series .0]

Mode=1680x1050x32

TriLinear=1

[bufferPools]

PoolSize=10000000

[MULTIPLAYER]

AccoutUsername=Turnip579

condAccoutPassword=0

DefaultLobby=Free Flight

VoiceVolume=-1.420000

I have a quad core phenom with 2 x sapphire 3870 in sli mode also have 4 gig of ram and i seem to get smooth frames the whole time i may get a jump here and there but only when i have been on the simulator for the last 6 hrs i get frames rates of about 25-45 fps around any ftx area and when i am at about 8000ft or up i get frame rates 50-180fps i have done alot of playing around with my sapphire cards and change a few settings to achieve this but i have also changed some settings in fsx which seems to help

matt

Turnip,

here some things that caught my attention,

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0  <= set this to 20

[bufferPools]

PoolSize=10000000  <= reduce to 4000000  !!!!!! this kills your thing as the higher to longer the loadtime and ergo the use of CPU and memory

WATER_EFFECTS=7  <= set to lowest for starters, when all runs well increase a step at the time

hope it helps a lil

Thx Wolter, I made the changes and now will go try it out

HEY MATT  Can you enlighten me on the 3870 changes you made? Also, maybe the FSX changes you did also. I'm open to trying anything.

Thx again for the help gents.

in XP, the TARGET field is the one you are after.

The shortcut will have either "c:\progra...bla...bla...lator X\fsx.exe" or (in my case) D:\Games\FSX\fsx.exe

For the former you put:

"c:\progra...bla...bla...lator X\fsx.exe" +fullproc

for the latter you put:

D:\Games\FSX\fsx.exe +fullproc

Hope this helps.  I think you can use the /high or /realtime options with it too for processor thread prioritising.  Be careful with /realtime tho esp if you don't have a multicore machine as FSX has the potential to consume every last processor cycle leaving nothing for optinal things like keyboard and mouse input, etc, etc.

Bungo

turnip the best thing to do is to go into the catalyst control panel and play with the graphics card settings untill you find one that works for you this is in the 3d section and just play with your fsx settings as it changes performance from computer to compter i changed my water setting terrain mesh alot and i found that it made a bit of a diffrence give that ago and if you have no change we will go online and i will go through my settings

matt

Archived