Duke Screenies

CathyH

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are the first screenies I have uploaded. Using The RealAir Duke Turbo (what a bird) REX 2.00, FEX, and Active Sky Enhanced, with ORBX CS. The flight is from CS to Century mine at FL26

Not strictly the correct place for this but how high can the standard Duke fly?

I have some trouble maintaining airspeed as I climb higher despite a very low climb rate. Probabaly doing something fundamentalywrong

Thanks

Andy b

Hey Andy, are you flying the piston engined version?  If so, I rarely attempt to go above 18000.  By then the climb rate has just about petered out.  Also you have to be careful with pitot heat, cowl flap position and fuel vent de-icing.  I find the cruise climb settings pretty good to over 12000ft.

On the other hand Cathy's pics are of the turbine (turboprop) version of the Duke.  It climbs like a scalded cat I am told using the two PT6 engines.  I am not sure either what best cruise level is.  However I think it would still be better sub-20000ft because there are other considerations including pressurisation that need to be taken into account.

As already mentioned Carenado offer a 30 Euro upgrade from the piston to the turbo-prop.

Hey Andy, are you flying the piston engined version?  If so, I rarely attempt to go above 18000.  By then the climb rate has just about petered out.  Also you have to be careful with pitot heat, cowl flap position and fuel vent de-icing.  I find the cruise climb settings pretty good to over 12000ft.

On the other hand Cathy's pics are of the turbine (turboprop) version of the Duke.  It climbs like a scalded cat I am told using the two PT6 engines.  I am not sure either what best cruise level is.  However I think it would still be better sub-20000ft because there are other considerations including pressurisation that need to be taken into account.

As already mentioned Carenado offer a 30 Euro upgrade from the piston to the turbo-prop.

Behold oh Earhthbound ones, I am at FL 26 and climbing at 2000 fpm :)!

Here are the numbers for comparison from the website

Royal Turbine Duke Standard Duke TBM-700

Engine model P&W PT6A-35 Lycoming TSIO-541 P&W PT6A-64

TBO 3,600 hrs 1,400 hrs 3,600 hrs

Passenger Seats 6 6 6

Length 33' 10" 33' 10" 34' 3"

Height 12' 4" 12' 4" 13' 9"

Wingspan 39' 9" 39' 9" 41' 3"

Max Take-Off Weight 7,050 lbs 7,000 lbs 6,579 lbs

Standard Empty Weight 4,650 lbs 5,000 lbs 4,100 lbs

Max Useful Load 2,400 lbs 2,000 lbs 2,514 lbs

Max Useable Fuel 260 gal 232 gal 282 gal

Payload @ Max Fuel 750 lbs 608 lbs 764 lbs

Certified Ceiling 28,000 ft 30,000 ft 30,000 ft

Take-Off Runway 1,000 ft 2,660 ft 2,034 ft

Landing Runway 900 ft 3,000 ft 2,034 ft

Max Climb Rate 4,000 ft/min 1,550 ft/min 1,875 ft/min

Time to Climb (25,000 ft) 9 min 25 min 15 min

High Speed Cruise (29,000 ft) 290+ kts 240 kts 280 kts

Fuel Flow 66 gph 56 gph 60 gph

Max VFR Range (no wind) 1,100 nm 1,100 nm 1,330 nm

I have the piston version and despite following conventional wisdom (POH and manual) I get the aircraft to 9,000 ft at 142 knots but this decays rapidly to stall speed at or around 10,500 ft and thereafter the roller caoster ride begins with steep recpvery dives and equally steep climbs.

I have the cowl flaps set per the manual,  fuel pumps on and every de-icing heater in the cockpit set to on. In addition, fuel and manifold settings are as per the manual.

Got me stuffed why this baby doesn't fly so well. They say the operating ceiling is 30,000 ft but I guess this must be on the back of a 747 or in the hold of an A380 cos it sure won't climb on its own to that level.

Might try slew ing it to altitude then casting off the see what happens.  :o

Andy b

OK - slewed to 30,000 feet and cast off.

Aircraft stalled and entered steep dive - engines were basically idling and badly at that. Fule rates miserable, manifold pressure basically zilch, cylinder head temperature below zero, oil pressure negligible and the other indication in that gauge (escapes me for the minute) below zero.

Eventually after a number of stalls and climbs the aircraft fell below 10,000 feet whereupon the engine roared back to life.

Something is not right but what that something is is beyond me.

Andy b

Archived