Edit CAB files

Rimshot

Hey guys,

Yesterday I was making some panels for the Lancair IV. I also want to make a version with a Reality XP GNS530 and a SL40 as second COM unit. I own the Simflyer Garmin GMX-SX package, which contains the SL40. The digits of this unit are green however and all the pics I have been able to find of real SL30 units all show the digits to be yellow. Therefore I want to change the colour of the unit. I have found a XML file in the Simflyer CAB package which I can edit to alter the colour, but I need a CAB editor to make the changes. To make a long story short, does anyone here know of a good free CAB editor?

Thanks for the replies guys!

@Maurice: I've tried your suggestion, but then with Winrar. FSX refused to read a Rar file renamed to CAB. Could be different with WinZip though...

@Dieter: Downloaded and installed this old piece of software and it works like a charm. I now have a CAB file with better looking fontcolours for the SL40 :)

By the way, Bliksimpie sent me a PM in the OZx forums that I wouldn't even need a CAB file editor. I didn't know this, but it appears FSX gauges work as well when they reside inside a folder. So extracting a gauges CAB file to its own folder in the FSX gauges folder (and subsequently renaming or removing the CAB file) does the trick as well. You can still use the gauges and edit away without having to compile them to a CAB file afterwards.

That's Why I said WinZIP,  NEVER use WINRAR to open files for which it was never meant (yes I know recent versions will ).

While WINRAR is a good tool with a variety of formats in reality it should only be used for RAR files and for splitting large files into smaller chunks, And WINZIP for ZIP Files and the same again multipart zips of large archives.

The compression algorythum is completely different to WinZIP and thats why FSX could not read it, remember FSX uses the inbuilt Windows compression tool which is why I said NOT to open with it to edit because it WON'T recompile properly. The exact problem you had using WINRAR.

Everyone here should think about what archiving and compression Program they use because I have found that in many instances an ZIP done with WinRAR can't be opened with WinZIP and Vice Versa especially early versions. WINZIP for ZIP Files and similarly WINRAR for RAR Files, LZH for ARJ files, 7Zip for TAR & 7Zip files and so on. 

Yes I know that WINRAR is capable of opening some WINZIP files BUT there is a great possibility for CRC and Check sum errors when recompiling for the reason outlined above.  WINZIP is the same when opening WINRAR Files, and  it will also depend on what the file was compressed or compiled with and whether it's the real deal or the trial version as well.

Sorry but I suspect that is why you had issues using WinRAR.

Extracting the Gauges etc to a folder will only work IF you edit the Panel to reflect the changed name and location just extracting the CAB to the default Gauges dir is not enough, remember that FSX has the inbuilt Windows Compression tool open the CAB File so it can read the BMP's etc inside the CAB.

Thanks for explaining about the different compression programs Maurice.

Extracting the Gauges etc to a folder will only work IF you edit the Panel to reflect the changed name and location just extracting the CAB to the default Gauges dir is not enough, remember that FSX has the inbuilt Windows Compression tool open the CAB File so it can read the BMP's etc inside the CAB.

And thanks for elaborating on the above point. I was aware of that, but it is useful to mention to others reading this post.

That's Why I said WinZIP,  NEVER use WINRAR to open files for which it was never meant (yes I know recent versions will ).

While WINRAR is a good tool with a variety of formats in reality it should only be used for RAR files and for splitting large files into smaller chunks, And WINZIP for ZIP Files and the same again multipart zips of large archives.

The compression algorythum is completely different to WinZIP and thats why FSX could not read it, remember FSX uses the inbuilt Windows compression tool which is why I said NOT to open with it to edit because it WON'T recompile properly. The exact problem you had using WINRAR.

Everyone here should think about what archiving and compression Program they use because I have found that in many instances an ZIP done with WinRAR can't be opened with WinZIP and Vice Versa especially early versions. WINZIP for ZIP Files and similarly WINRAR for RAR Files, LZH for ARJ files, 7Zip for TAR & 7Zip files and so on. 

Yes I know that WINRAR is capable of opening some WINZIP files BUT there is a great possibility for CRC and Check sum errors when recompiling for the reason outlined above.  WINZIP is the same when opening WINRAR Files, and  it will also depend on what the file was compressed or compiled with and whether it's the real deal or the trial version as well.

Sorry but I suspect that is why you had issues using WinRAR.

Great information Maurice, thanks for the eduaction on that.  :)

Guest J van E

By the way, Bliksimpie sent me a PM in the OZx forums that I wouldn't even need a CAB file editor. I didn't know this, but it appears FSX gauges work as well when they reside inside a folder. So extracting a gauges CAB file to its own folder in the FSX gauges folder (and subsequently renaming or removing the CAB file) does the trick as well. You can still use the gauges and edit away without having to compile them to a CAB file afterwards.

No need to make things more complicated then necessary. ;) You only have to unzip the CAB into the folder where the original CAB resides and that's it. Just make sure the new folder has the exact name as the CAB file without the extension (obviously). FSX will ALWAYS uses the folder over the CAB when it sees both are there.

So no need to rename or move the CAB and/or to edit cfg's or to recompile the CAB. I have three planes which use unzipped CAB's and in all cases the unzipped folder and the original CAB are at their original location and no cfg's had to be edited to get things working.

EDIT

Nice extra this gives is that when you want to fly with the original CAB for some reason (testing or comparing or whatever) you only need to rename the folder that holds the extracted CAB and you're done.

Archived