Cyclone Yasi, here we go again....

Old Archie

Good to hear you are safe. Reports say it last steam and is down to a catagory 2. That is good news for Queensland.

Cyclones hit land and they lose steam - some quicker than others. Problem is in losing the steam they also lose the ability to hold water vapour as vapour and when they collapse into themselves down comes the torrential rain, With the rain comes the risk of flooding so whilst the risk of being blwon off the mao diminishes the risk being washed off it increases.

Should be some good fishing in the Gulf in a few weeks.

Andy b

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one powerful mother, though.  It will reach Mt Isa (a long standing nickel mine) by midnight as a Category 1.  Obviously this is below destructive and barely on the scale, but nevertheless wind gusts can be damaging - and The Isa is a town of very old buildings so there will be lots of sagging roofs and leaks (not interesting enough for the media but no fun if it is your place).

Then it will drop down to a tropical storm and the rains will continue, all the way west to Alice Springs in the middle of the continent.

Joining up with the monsoon trough it is likely to rain and rain.  This means, once again those inland rivers may flood and flow all the way south to the Darling River and into the Murray, and finally out to sea in far away South Australia (sth of Adelaide).

If you're into FTX then I am sure anywhere in the world you can follow the geography.  And if you put real weather on, or have a weather programme fly into the cyclone near Isa just for the experience and do it in real time - ie at night.

Our cousins to the north have taken a hammering over the past 24 hours. The NSW SES has just activated a 110 person strong flood and storm  rescue taskforce we had placed on standby as Yasi was bearing down on the coast. That taskforce arrives in QLD saturday. Advance logistics teams depart Friday morning. I have no doubt this will be the first of manay groups rotating north to help. I wish I could join them and lend a hand but have more pressing issues back at home.

...maybe too much pressure about the flood tax , not going there again . Talking of which , just a few days ago the flood levels in Victoria are still rising , not sure what it is today but there has been a lot of farms flooded elswhere not just Queensland.

Some farmers in Victoria have kneedeep water over their property and it will stay that way for months.

The upside to this , for me , is no bushfires this year . One mans medicine is another mans pioson. Never seen so much rain .

Stephen:  to my knowledge the flood aid and actions taken by governments have been extended to cyclone victims.

The sad part however is that the sheer remoteness of the area means that the army of volunteers that turned out in Brisbane simply won't be available in the north - FNQ - Far North Queensland as it is officially known.

Ironically this remoteness means that there was no New Orlean equivalent for the storm to pass over, so in US terms the damage was much smaller in scale to buildings but 90% of Australia's banana crop has been wiped out, and a significant proportion of the sugar crop.

One really good thing.  Newer buildings erected to recent cyclone standards really did stay up - it was the older weatherboard places that suffered in a big way.

Well, it is all over now, just finished my yard clean-up this afternoon.  It seemed to be a bit of a fizzer for us until we started to see the pictures of what happened to Tully and Mission Beach.  Here are just a couple of images to show just a tiny portion of the real damage caused by this storm. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:(

It's good to hear that despite all the damage pretty much everyone came out of this with their lives and, judging by the last photo, with their spirit intact. So far I only heard about one man suffocating from generator fumes as the only casualty. I hope it stays that low, although some are still missing according to my last information.

Glad you are fine... 

Lost a quarter of the roof, no water until yesterday PM, no power (looking at a few weeks), no telecommunications (all landlines are still out and mobile coverage is rubbish at best) and water throughout the house.  Worried about lepto more than anything. 

Great that all of the supplies (tarps, ladders, generators) are kept in Brisbane.  Good central location.  Pathetic.  Due to the fact that we aren't one of the hardest hit, it will be a long time before things are rectified...

Things looked brighter the morning after, wish I had investigated fully. 

On the upside, my 6 year old is handling things brilliantly.  He was on the iPad playing with headphones on during the noisiest part which was quite a scene as he was giggling whilst the wife and I created special patterns in our underwear. 

All alive and okay here...

That's me Andy, the beautiful township of Mena Creek, 50 km north of Tully.

All water was from Yasi, on top of a hill so flooding is hard to come by unless an ark has been built!  Still, I am a load better than loads of people.  Thoughts are with them and my efforts to help them can start this weekend.

Anyone heard from Jeansy?

Got you Wedge:  How did that extraordinary castle in Paronella Park survive?  Or haven't you had time to look.  Do you  live at the base of the hills to the east of the town, or the ridge to the south.

I lived in Townsville for five years, and in that time had the roof spring a leak during a de-rated cyclone - a tropical storm with heavy and heavy rain, and then had the roof stripped half off by Cyclone Justin.  A baby cyclone to be sure, but it scared the h... out of me.

I trust the Mena survived without too much damage?

Anyone heard from Jeansy?

Jeansy is now based at Holsworthy in Sydney mate.  Glad is all ok.  Hope you have a genny to keep the laptops and ipads charged up mate, its going to be a long wait for electrickery down that way.

Archived