Happy belated birthday wishes to ...

Jay Kae

Happy Birthday indeed, And where would we all be now if it never got off the ground not here for one thing. But just think how the whole team here has changed our hobby with the fantastic scenery and now the Lancair to use. I know myself i have never made as many friends on any other forum as this one so now lets all look to the future and the future is Orbx, Well done to you all that are involved here and many more years to come.

cheers

Iain

I remember sitting in the terminal at YSCB with JV getting a sneak preview of YSTW in FS9 and an early demo of what FSX would produce... thinking to myself all the while "Yeah sure John, textures will go down to 0 feet, but so must performance".  In the fullness of time I have learnt what words taste like!

Well, it's still the 31th of January here...so, congratulations to Orbx and the forum!  :D

I have found a few pictures of Orbx first (?) release: Tamworth 1.0 for FS9 which was released in August 2007.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still an excellent looking scenery! And a nice quote from the manual:

Welcome!

Thank you for downloading Orbx Tamworth Freeware Release 1.0 – we hope you have

many hours of pleasure flying into this regional Australian airport.

This scenery was designed by a talented group of flight simulation developers hand-picked

by Orbx Simulation Systems. Most of the development team had previously contributed to

the very successful Vista Australis (VOZ) Freeware project (vistaoz.org).

The Tamworth project was intended to be a “proof of concept” demonstration to see what

level of detail could be achieved for a regional Australian airport using data sourced from

local knowledge, aerial and ground level photography and off-the-shelf tools including the

FS2004 SDK.

The scenery took some nine months to complete from inception to its current state. We

should point out that in this freeware version, the airport is not yet fully complete, with many

features which were planned not included as yet.

At some point in the future, Orbx may choose to fully develop this airport into a commercial

package both for private, military and commercial use. However, in its current form and

under the terms of use, you are permitted to only use this as a freeware airport for private

non-training and non-commercial use “as is”.

I think you have more than achieved your goals! I'm looking forward to many more years with Orbx :)

Greetings

Tim

Yeah I knew it was older cause I remember you showing a very early Orbx logo on the VOZ forums under a different username lol

Oh you mean these ones Jay?

Posted Image

Posted Image

FTX was in fact going to be called "VOZ X", then "VOZ Scenery X", then "VOZ Pro", then "Flight Terrain X" and eventually we settled on Full Terrain Experience.

We may in fact adopt a completely new name for the Microsoft FLIGHT series of Orbx products, you never know  ::)  :P

I've always wondered, how did you come up with Orbx?

Or is that a company secret... :P

Orb = Planet, the whole world, our eventual coverage goal

x = ten times the detail than before

Simple huh? Our name is our mission statement.

And contrary to many people's spelling, it's Orbx (little 'x'), not OrbX

I just wanted to say Thank-you to all you guys at ORBX for everything you have done. As a long time Flight Enthusiast and Flight Simulator User this is the best thing that has come along in Flight Simulation. I am looking forward to the New Zealand Scenery most of all.

Cheers

Archived