Poll: Water effect settings

What water effect settings are you using?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What water effect settings are you using?

• None
    • Low 1.x
    • Mid 1.x
    • High 1.x
    • Low 2.x
    • Mid 2.x
    • High 2.x
    • Max 2.x

Hi guys,

as you may have seen we're working on a method to make non-perennial (seasonal) water bodies automatically switch from land to water: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3447.0 (note that the textures used in those screenshots are not the final versions). However, this approach causes an unsighlty visual issue with two of the eight available water effect settings. We'd like to get an idea of what the commonly used water effect settings are to get an idea how much, if at all, we need to worry about this (e.g., by providing a fallback to the usual "always water" approach of FSX).

Thanks for the input.

Cheers, Holger

For me, FSX water seems unrealistic at high settings. How can you have all that wave action and still have reflections? Next time you're standing on the beach, notice how the surface of the water darkens when roughened by a wind gust cell. Notice how any reflections of sky, cloud or landscape disappear. I reckon FSX water only looks reasonable at low x2 where there is wave action but not much reflection.

Cheers,

Noel.

Hello again, Holger. I ran the water backup file, and my lakes and rivers are no longer chocolate brown, thanks to you.  But flying later today for the first time around the Gold Coast, I encountered a very weird water effect to the north of Maroochydore. It looks as though sea water and river water don't mix, and the result is green. A little further north, and whole areas [lakes?] are green.  To the south, no apparent problem.  I wonder if this is due to the water issues you mention, or a side-effect of the backup?

Mid 2.x for me, too.

Hi there,

that's unrelated to water effect settings, it just happens to be an area where water types of very different colors meet. FSX water textures are placed like land class, on a grid raster of about 1 km sq. Thus, there's limited spatial accuracy and it's difficult to achieve more natural gradients from inland water to ocean water.

I know that our team has done some work on the water class files (the files that determine which color/type of water is placed where). If you find an area that looks odd then I'd suggest posting some top-down screenshots with coordinates (!) in the payware support forum so that the respective team members can check and make adjustments where possible.

Cheers, Holger

Archived